Your thoughts on my experience at a Ford Quick Lube

RMD3819

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
2019 Ranger bought new and it came with a bunch of oil changes at selling dealer’s Quick Lube. The value was the basic oil change package valued at about $50 including tire rotation. I got the usual upsell with filters, wipers etc. but declined.

The freebie changes ran out so I took it to a dealer closest to my home. Ordered the basic package at about $50. Here is what happened:

-The work done and invoice was for an extra $29.95 for “oversize” tires. I have the 18”.
-Upsell was for three items: air filter, cabin filter, and “emissions service”. No pressure. Service guy states the cabin filter wasn’t checked but suggested based on the condition of the air filter.

I installed the air filter less than 5K miles ago so I pull it. First thing I notice is no fingerprints or markings in the dirt on the cover. That is subjective so I remove the filter. Looks new as expected with some dirt along the edges on some parts. No way anyone would think this needs replacement. I take pictures.

I return to the dealer with the pics for his thoughts. He points out the dirt along the edges and states that is why the recommendation. He further clarifies that anything other than a brand new filter warrants a replacement suggestion.

Thoughts on the oversize tire charge and their filter “policy”? The survey arrived and I am unsure if I should ding them based on common sense but am reluctant is the tire and filter thing are standard behavior now.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Peter949

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
New dealer. As customer we deserve better and will ensure that by not utilizing bad ones so the free market can put them out of business. Be customers of good ones so we reward good pratices.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
2019 Ranger bought new and it came with a bunch of oil changes at selling dealer’s Quick Lube. The value was the basic oil change package valued at about $50 including tire rotation. I got the usual upsell with filters, wipers etc. but declined.

The freebie changes ran out so I took it to a dealer closest to my home. Ordered the basic package at about $50. Here is what happened:

-The work done and invoice was for an extra $29.95 for “oversize” tires. I have the 18”.
-Upsell was for three items: air filter, cabin filter, and “emissions service”. No pressure. Service guy states the cabin filter wasn’t checked but suggested based on the condition of the air filter.

I installed the air filter less than 5K miles ago so I pull it. First thing I notice is no fingerprints or markings in the dirt on the cover. That is subjective so I remove the filter. Looks new as expected with some dirt along the edges on some parts. No way anyone would think this needs replacement. I take pictures.

I return to the dealer with the pics for his thoughts. He points out the dirt along the edges and states that is why the recommendation. He further clarifies that anything other than a brand new filter warrants a replacement suggestion.

Thoughts on the oversize tire charge and their filter “policy”? The survey arrived and I am unsure if I should ding them based on common sense but am reluctant is the tire and filter thing are standard behavior now.
You're not returning to this dealer for an oil change in the future, are you?

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
If you paid by cc I'd tell the dealer you are going to dispute the entire charge based on the extra charge for rotation, some states require customer approval for any additional work and charges. Been a while since I disputed a charge but the cc company worked on my behalf to settle the dispute. I wouldn't lay down and let them walk all over you.

Last edited:

RD_Kona

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger XLT Tremor
I have free oil changes at the dealer where I purchased my truck. My wife had free oil changes from the same dealer for her Bronco Sport.

That dealer will never work on either of our vehicles. The service team is terrible and has no interest in customer service.

Choose a different dealer.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Just don't return.

Vote with your wallet, as they say.

Sort of like I wont be returning to the dealer that lost 2 bolts on my skids and didn't even mention it to me...

CP0861

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Supercrew
Sounds like they have a nickel and dime mentality....it's coming from above somewhere. General manager or the service manager or all of the above.

Fill out the survey honestly and then find another dealer for your service work.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist

So, did they state that the filter was replaced, or that they recommend it be replaced? Sounds like they just recommend the cabin filter. The OEM air filter is about $34, the cabin filter is around $26. That alone would have been increase of $60. An upcharge for oversized tires is ridiculous, unless you really have oversized tires. My '21 came with 18" wheels, never an upcharge for rotations.
Another thing to point out is, around here, standard Fast Lane service includes oil, filter, top off fluids, rotate tires and check brake pads. Here that service is $75, unless you have a coupon.

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Seriously? An extra charge for oversize tires? What happened-did the extra air break their compressor? I would show that outfit your back.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Seriously? An extra charge for oversize tires? What happened-did the extra air break their compressor? I would show that outfit your back.
Well, if it were truly oversized tires, like 34 or 35's, maybe. But it does sound like a grift. My '21 STX SE has 265/60 R18 is the standard OEM.

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Well, if it were truly oversized tires, like 34 or 35's, maybe. But it does sound like a grift. My '21 STX SE has 265/60 R18 is the standard OEM.
Yeah it does.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Does that mean that an F250 with stock tires gets an oversized tire fee?

should they not have a fee schedule that is based on the vehicle, vs tires?

an oil change on a fiesta vs ranger vs F250 vs expedition would all be different.

I am guessing that is essentially what the oversized tire fee is, without saying it.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
@RMD3819:
If the Ranger came stock with 18" wheels and tires,* that is not oversize, and as others have mentioned, a bogus charge anyway.
My dealer shows me the dirty air filter and makes a recommendation, then it's my choice whether to replace it or not.

I would give them an honest and objective survey then move on to another dealer, including any future used or new vehicles; they got all of your money they will ever get.

*Below is a copy from the 2019 Ranger Dealer Order Guide, showing 18' wheels as an option with the 302A package, and what else is needed.
Sponsored

Attachments