If Buying Today, Would You Still Buy the Ranger?

Bt_ostate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Sales
Hi all. I've done some searching but wanted to get some new/updated opinions on the truck's quality & reliability. I'm going to be buying one of these: Chevy ZR2, Ford Ranger Tremor, Toyota TRD Off Road (or TRD Pro). Each of these trucks has their + and - points. I also understand that each brand has their own set of fanboys, some are more rabid than others. You know who you are, haha!

Since I'm looking at spending $45-50,000, I'm trying to do my research as thorough as I can. These trucks are not cheap and I'm looking for this to be a 10+ year truck ownership. So, my questions are:

* If you were buying today, would you still choose the Ranger? Why?
* If not, why? What would you buy instead? Why?
* What problems have you had that disappointed you in the Ranger?
* Were these issues significant enough to cause you to doubt the reliability of the truck?
* What other trucks did you look at before buying the Ranger?
* What did you like & dislike about them?

Thanks for answering my questions. $45-50,000 is a lot of money. I want to feel that I've made the best choice for my needs as a daily driver, light hauler, occasional tower, and hunting/camping/fishing vehicle.

Have a great day!
My Tacoma trd pro was the worst truck I've ever owned. Seat position was awful and it's engine transmission combo couldn't handle towing or hills to save its life ( constant harsh down shifting). Was shocked how much I hated it. And Toyota is known for quality and I've had some that lasted, but both new generation Tacomas I owned had nothing but problems. Water leaks inside the cab, wind noise from around door seals and windshield, electrical issues. Was not impressed! Dumped both in under a year.

My Tremor Ranger has exceeded my expectations and more for a small pickup. It's not my Raptor, but for what it is, it's been great. Rides great, has tons of power, gets great mpg, and is fun to drive.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
* If you were buying today, would you still choose the Ranger? Why?
* Were these issues significant enough to cause you to doubt the reliability of the truck?
* What other trucks did you look at before buying the Ranger?
* What did you like & dislike about them?

Yes, b/c ever time I tell Maggie to giddy up she puts a smile on my face.
But nfw would I plunk down 45 to 50k for my transportation needs. Shop smart.
Which leads me to Q5, for what else is out there? Ranger XLT scab checked all the boxes for me.
The others didn't even come close. And I looked!
Then again, hearing that "damn dude, that's a good lookin' truck" That never gets old.

No problems, issues complaints. Well, yes there is. Dash board controls, switches and locations.
This is where the imports shine and domestic vehicles rather suck at it.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I love my truck, but absolutely hate the local Ford dealership. I took my truck in under warranty for numerous "Shut truck accessories off to to save battery' messages. All indications pointed to a faulty AGM battery (seems to be a trend). After three visits to the dealer and no resolution, only to be told the battery tested 'great', but no 'next step', I spent $200 and replaced it myself. It fixed the issue. I bought the truck with the idea that the bumper to bumper warranty would provide three years of coverage, only to find that Ford dealerships try harder to prevent spending$ to fix issue, than create happy customers. My friends who own Toyotas always rave about the quality of service they receive at the dealerships, I wish I could say the same.
I have dealer half mile away. I tried to work with them, and they provided me with a sticker of a truck they 'could get off the storage lot'. It didn't tick all the boxes, but I decided to buy it. When I showed up with cash in hand, they showed me a truck and I had already driven at another dealer and it wasn't the one they said they 'could get'. I walked out, and started searching a 300 mile radius and found my perfect truck. So, yeah, I hate that I have to go the 'local dealer' for anything, but I have little choice unless I want to drive.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
I'm going to be buying one of these: Chevy ZR2, Ford Ranger Tremor, Toyota TRD Off Road (or TRD Pro).
I would not buy any of these trucks right now. This is the worst time in History to purchase a new vehicle.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I’m going to be the guy who says no, at this point I would not have gotten a ranger.

1. I no longer drive 100+ miles to the office and back.
2. I now have a fairly large camper.

I could have gotten into a 2 year old well equipped super duty diesel for what I paid for the ranger and that would be a much better truck for me.

I’m also very disappointed with the paint quality on my truck, it’s literally falling off in places showing bare primer. Dealer says meh, you use it like a truck.
I traded my 2011, 6.7L Scorpion motor, F250 for my Ranger. I ran full synthetic like I do in all my vehicles and that was a $150 oil change every time. Between that and the ridiculousness of diesel emission systems/def and the plethora of sensors that go along with it….bottom line…maintenance nightmare. IMHO as a former owner of one.
Also, parking lots were not designed for SuperDuty trucks and could run a ring around that 400hp diesel in my Ranger ?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I’m going to be the guy who says no, at this point I would not have gotten a ranger.

1. I no longer drive 100+ miles to the office and back.
2. I now have a fairly large camper.

I could have gotten into a 2 year old well equipped super duty diesel for what I paid for the ranger and that would be a much better truck for me.

I’m also very disappointed with the paint quality on my truck, it’s literally falling off in places showing bare primer. Dealer says meh, you use it like a truck.
Hi Chance,

Find another dealer....Dealer response is unacceptable

Grooge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
The ranger is the best all around mid size truck. The Ranger's 4cyl engine simply out preforms. The ranger's towing, ride, payload, off road, and gas mileage just made this the best overall truck. The other trucks may beat the Ranger in one area or the other, but overall the Ranger is just a better truck.

Plus she is pretty. I get so many people checking it out as I go down the road.

Tacos cost more, drives terrible on the road, and the sitting is off. It is solid off road, and their the tocas have an advantage.

Chevy is inferior in all most every area. It does have a front locking doff that the Ranger doesn't.
It does ride on road well. The off road versions sacrifice payload and towing. Ranger keep tow and payload high on all their models. Also, Ranger does better on clearance.

Jeep us way better off road, but cost so much more. Many hate the road ride of the Jeep as well as well as the noise levels from the road.

It has been a great truck.

So if you are looking for the best off road truck, or the best daily drive, or the more updated interior then you will find better. However, if you want the best balanced truck that can do off road well, and drive on the road with decent mpg on a truck. The you want a Ranger.

Dhass68

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Brake and Suspension mechanic
Yes I would buy again except it would be the Ranger Tremor

Mastodon

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2020 Explorer Limited
I walked through the lot at my local dealer a week or so ago while getting the Explorer’s oil changed. Didn’t take long, since there were few vehicles available. But I realized a few things while there:
1) F-150 is still too big
2) $50,000 for a Mustang GT is insane
3) Lincolns are weird
4) I love my Ranger

Long version:
•They had a brand new King Ranch F-150 on the lot. It’s super nice, and at $75k, it should be. But the thing feels monstrous. If they made it in something the size of the Ranger I’d be tempted but, as is, it’s just too much for a daily driver.
7FACD6F3-BC7E-48B8-9FCD-3D38E9C2B0D0.jpeg

• Mustangs have always had a special place for me, but they only had 5 on the lot. One of which was a GT with the Performance Package and also had the pony package, which has some extra chrome and a corral around the pony grille logo. I paid $30,000 for my 2016 GT Premium, including Hawaii tax, and sold it to CarMax last year for $25k. Those prices seem reasonable for a V8 and wheels. The $50k this was listed at…nope, I’d get the Mach 1 instead.

• The dealer is also a Lincoln dealer, and they had an Aviator, which is the rebodied Explorer. The wife and I both like our Explorer, and have put more than 20k miles on it, since buying it last March. It’s our cross country touring vehicle, and I was curious about the luxury version’s differences. Boy is it different. The center console especially. Piano key transmission shifter? Weird. And with the full screen dash gauge, it just seemed spaceship like. Not for me
FB559944-F90D-4D21-A8B0-FC6D7C504C25.jpeg

• It seemed like of all the Ford vehicles on the lot, I liked my Ranger the most. They only had 3 on the lot, two of which were XL Supercabs, and the other a Lariat Screw like mine. Looked in one of the Scabs, and well, I’d have to remove the rear seat to make that space useable for something. And I get what people talk about with the low quality materials. The Lariat, while not great, is definitely better. There was also a base Colorado on the lot that happened to be unlocked. Sat down, and ugh… it’s ugly on the inside. Worse than the base Ranger, by a long shot. Sure my Ranger may have some issues (would’ve like the electrics to match the Explorer, since it’s the same year, but apparently different divisions don’t talk to each other) but it’s the best thing out there. For me, anyways.

XLT and me

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 xlt ranger 62 galaxie
Occupation
Truck driver
I would have to say no, I would not buy again. Brake pedal feel, wonky shifting, take off shudder, poor floor heat just make for miserable driving. I have been to the dealer many times, and have numerous tsb's and gsb's done, but the problems persist. Not interested in the 6th gen at all now, especially since it appears that they are going to make the front end look like an f150. Which has the ugliest headlight and grill in f150 history. Maybe if and when they make the bronco truck i might take a look. Probably going to trade off the ranger for a car for my wife, and go find a late 70's to early 90's f150 or 250 from a salt free state. Really liked the rangers size and fuel economy, but mine just sucks to drive.
Sponsored