If Buying Today, Would You Still Buy the Ranger?

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
i dont think id spend 40-50k for a ranger any day of the week though.... but 30k for an XLT all day long
Same. I don't know how good the tremor is but I'd be more inclined to get a XLT and dump $$$ into it. Ford Fox kit and ecoboost power pack would go a long way and still have money left over for lights, wheels, etc.

jmurph

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Gov
Same. I don't know how good the tremor is but I'd be more inclined to get a XLT and dump $$$ into it. Ford Fox kit and ecoboost power pack would go a long way and still have money left over for lights, wheels, etc.
Yep put a SCT tune and new icon 2.5 kit on the way will out perform any tremor for less

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all. I've done some searching but wanted to get some new/updated opinions on the truck's quality & reliability. I'm going to be buying one of these: Chevy ZR2, Ford Ranger Tremor, Toyota TRD Off Road (or TRD Pro). Each of these trucks has their + and - points. I also understand that each brand has their own set of fanboys, some are more rabid than others. You know who you are, haha!

Since I'm looking at spending $45-50,000, I'm trying to do my research as thorough as I can. These trucks are not cheap and I'm looking for this to be a 10+ year truck ownership. So, my questions are:

* If you were buying today, would you still choose the Ranger? Why?
* If not, why? What would you buy instead? Why?
* What problems have you had that disappointed you in the Ranger?
* Were these issues significant enough to cause you to doubt the reliability of the truck?
* What other trucks did you look at before buying the Ranger?
* What did you like & dislike about them?

Thanks for answering my questions. $45-50,000 is a lot of money. I want to feel that I've made the best choice for my needs as a daily driver, light hauler, occasional tower, and hunting/camping/fishing vehicle.

Have a great day!
My FX4 was around $36k...maybe I'm between $45 and $50k with all the bells and whistles...so yes, I would...the only change might be to go with Supercrew only because I could mount a 6 foot cap and camp in the back...maybe not... ?

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Yup.

Looked at Colorado ZR2, Tacoma, didn't consider Frontier as I had a 2018 Pro4X that was a POS and didn't seriously look at Gladiator as I had a new 2017 Wrangler and that was enough Fiat for me.

Best all around mid size out there right now but I honestly wish it was a bit smaller.

Going to really look at the Maverick and Santa Cruz when they are available.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Hi all. I've done some searching but wanted to get some new/updated opinions on the truck's quality & reliability. I'm going to be buying one of these: Chevy ZR2, Ford Ranger Tremor, Toyota TRD Off Road (or TRD Pro). Each of these trucks has their + and - points. I also understand that each brand has their own set of fanboys, some are more rabid than others. You know who you are, haha!

Since I'm looking at spending $45-50,000, I'm trying to do my research as thorough as I can. These trucks are not cheap and I'm looking for this to be a 10+ year truck ownership. So, my questions are:

* If you were buying today, would you still choose the Ranger? Why?
* If not, why? What would you buy instead? Why?
* What problems have you had that disappointed you in the Ranger?
* Were these issues significant enough to cause you to doubt the reliability of the truck?
* What other trucks did you look at before buying the Ranger?
* What did you like & dislike about them?

Thanks for answering my questions. $45-50,000 is a lot of money. I want to feel that I've made the best choice for my needs as a daily driver, light hauler, occasional tower, and hunting/camping/fishing vehicle.

Have a great day!
If you were buying today, would you still choose the Ranger?
Yes​
Why?
It is the best value in the midsize market*​
What problems have you had that disappointed you in the Ranger?
17,000+ miles, no issues.​
What other trucks did you look at before buying the Ranger?
Colorado, Tacoma​
What did you like & dislike about them?
Colorado: I liked the exterior styling, the interior is dated, as is the drivetrain.​
Tacoma: Cartoonish interior and exterior, seating is horrible.​
*The best thing about the Ranger, for us, is we bought a 2019 XL, with the FX4 package. It was priced in the lower $30K's, yet has the same drivetrain as a loaded Lariat, but without most of the nanny state safety features and un-needed creature comforts.

003 Small.JPG
Comparison.jpg

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2019 Lariat FX4 with 50K on her. I would definitely buy again....and will with the next major upgrade in 2023. The only thing I've been really disappointed in was having to have the climate control module changed out because of mechanical issues....this was a service bulletin. They have that all figured out on the new Rangers so no worries.

So you will definitely need to upgrade the suspension...at least the rear shocks to take out the body roll. This is a must if you want to apply more power to the engine. I have a Livernois Motorsports OTS High Performance Tune, I replaced the stock exhaust with a Gibson single Cat-Back, Electronic BOV, Homemade CAI (K&N Filter and an aFe power scoop in the stock air box). I'm more interested in power on the road than off. I take her off-road for camping and hunting on Forest Service Roads in the Rocky Mountains with no problem. I don't rock crawl and I don't take her in the mud.....

I only looked at the Chevy Colorado Z71.......terribly uncomfortable seats, very under powered V6....

I'm not into Toyota's only because I don't like the front floorboard being in your throat.... ;)

LOTS of additional aftermarket power options available for the 2.3 Liter Ecoboost engine.

LOTS of aftermarket off-road options available for the Ranger now too....

You should be able to pickup a Ranger in the mid 30's driveout....If you spend another 10K on aftermarket goodies you will have a beast! IMHO

troutspinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I short term leased a 2020 Tacoma as I wanted to try going back to mid-size from full size. I liked the change so I had a decision to make, buy a Tacoma or look elsewhere.

I looked elsewhere because the Tacoma felt like going back in time 20 - 30 years. That made me look for other similar sized trucks and I ended up with a 2021 Ranger. I could not deny the comfort and power of the Ranger and it is a little larger than a Tacoma which IMO is the perfect size.

If my Ranger disappeared today, I would not think twice and would buy another one tomorrow.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Yes

Why?
I love the powertrain - it is a very comfortable daily driver and it has consistently impressed me with its capabilities.

20,000+ miles, no issues. 26 months of ownership.

The only other truck I seriously looked at was the Tacoma

Tacoma: I liked a few features but the powertrain was absolutely horrible. I didn't notice the seating position that many people talk about, but I only had a 10 minute test drive. I just couldn't get over the horrible powertrain.

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
I was out the door at just under 36k on my XLT Tremor with nav, tow pkg, and spray in liner.
The 4k for the Tremor package was offset by the profit I made on my '20 FX4 so I couldn't pass it up.
Yes

Why?
I love the powertrain - it is a very comfortable daily driver and it has consistently impressed me with its capabilities.

20,000+ miles, no issues. 26 months of ownership.

The only other truck I seriously looked at was the Tacoma

Tacoma: I liked a few features but the powertrain was absolutely horrible. I didn't notice the seating position that many people talk about, but I only had a 10 minute test drive. I just couldn't get over the horrible powertrain.
Your last comment is exactly why I passed on the taco when I was shopping. And they are Hecho en México.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I would buy again, but likely would get 4WD in the XLT package. I have the XLT Sport now and am very satisfied.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
You betcha!. What other vehicle could you buy for better than 15% below MSRP and then spend about MSRP in mods on?:crazy:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I’m going to be the guy who says no, at this point I would not have gotten a ranger.

1. I no longer drive 100+ miles to the office and back.
2. I now have a fairly large camper.

I could have gotten into a 2 year old well equipped super duty diesel for what I paid for the ranger and that would be a much better truck for me.

I’m also very disappointed with the paint quality on my truck, it’s literally falling off in places showing bare primer. Dealer says meh, you use it like a truck.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Paint...bah!
That IS a disappointment for sure.
Sponsored