Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been doing some reading on the PowerBoost (hybrid) F-150. This would be the one that has the onboard generator that’s accessible for power tools and such, up to 7.2kW. (The inverter in the back seat of the Ranger is a fairly disappointing 150 watts or 0.15kW for comparison)

I’m no contractor, but I am a DIYer and I do lots of stuff around the farm. This would be so handy and, like the air compressor I installed, it’s the type of feature that you would make up new jobs for it that you didn’t know you were missing.

In addition to the straight utility of it, I wouldn’t mind bumping my MPG a couple points, plus I’m kind of a tech-head and it’s just plain cool.

PowerBoost uses the 10 speed transmission. I’m not sure what they’ve added around it, but it’s at least within the realm of possibility to get it shoved in the smaller Ranger chassis.

Discuss...

1608524549658.jpeg
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I would love to have that to power my house during a blackout...

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
Yeah, I saw that F150 and drooled. Would be great to have a hybrid and generator offered for the Ranger!

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
I would love to have that to power my house during a blackout...
Agreed, it would be great as a backup generator for the house.

The next generation Ranger is supposedly going to offer a plug-in hybrid powertrain. It would be a safe bet that it will have inverter capability similar to the F-150.

Abjectwoe

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
I’ve been doing some reading on the PowerBoost (hybrid) F-150. This would be the one that has the onboard generator that’s accessible for power tools and such, up to 7.2kW. (The inverter in the back seat of the Ranger is a fairly disappointing 150 watts or 0.15kW for comparison)

I’m no contractor, but I am a DIYer and I do lots of stuff around the farm. This would be so handy and, like the air compressor I installed, it’s the type of feature that you would make up new jobs for it that you didn’t know you were missing.

In addition to the straight utility of it, I wouldn’t mind bumping my MPG a couple points, plus I’m kind of a tech-head and it’s just plain cool.

PowerBoost uses the 10 speed transmission. I’m not sure what they’ve added around it, but it’s at least within the realm of possibility to get it shoved in the smaller Ranger chassis.

Discuss...

1608524549658.jpeg
Yes. Yes, I would.

I'm hoping for different engine options next-gen. 2.3L, 2.7L, and the Powerboost would be a compelling line-up.

Realistically, we are probably going to end up with the 2.3l plus the 2.7L, since that's going in the bronco. I'd think it almost impossible that the Powerboost ends up in the Ranger though.

I hope I am wrong though.

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
Yes. Yes, I would.

I'm hoping for different engine options next-gen. 2.3L, 2.7L, and the Powerboost would be a compelling line-up.

Realistically, we are probably going to end up with the 2.3l plus the 2.7L, since that's going in the bronco. I'd think it almost impossible that the Powerboost ends up in the Ranger though.

I hope I am wrong though.
I agree, FOrD tends to neglect the middle child. I think it would be a mistake to not introduce hybrids for all their vehicles.

grizzly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I would like to see a Hybrid but not the plug in type.

Wife has a Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited which works really well. Switches to electic up to 75 mph and you don't feel a thing. Came with a lifetime warranty on the battery which we haven't had to use yet. Has been a solid vehicle for many years.

Weird to see 550 miles to empty when you fill up the tank.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase

Discuss...

1608524549658.jpeg

[/QUOTE

Judging from what the Ford executives say publicly, Ford is "all in" on electrification, which I take to mean that PowerBoost, Plug-in, and full electric versions of all their vehicles, including the Ranger, are just a matter of time, and probably not a very long time at that. So, yeah, I would expect to see, and I would support, and even buy, a "PowerBoost" Ranger in the near future, whether it is mated to a 2.3 or 2.7. See this recent interview with Bill Ford: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/18/...iew-corner-office.html?searchResultPosition=1

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
Does the truck have to be running to use this?

OP
OP
dmeyer302

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Does the truck have to be running to use this?
It has to be “on”. The engine will cycle when the battery depletes.

OP
OP
dmeyer302

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
This would be cool for camping and power outages. I don't see Ranger having this though. From a market standpoint, it pushes Ranger up in price and out of their target market.

Rescue Ranger

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 1998 Ranger supercab 4.0 4X4 xlt
Power boost seems neat but having a stand alone inverter generator is my choice for the cost if I wanted a Hybrid I would have gotten a Prius. I like the idea its just not for me and the way I camp and work.
Sponsored