Will buy 2019 Ranger tomorrow, what do you wish you knew prior to buying?

Have you been satisfied with your 2019 Ford Ranger

• Total voters

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
One more thing guys, is it normal for the Ranger to have what feels like pulsing breaks? I test drove two trucks and 1 of them definitely appeared to have pulsing breaks. It wasn't major, but like a minor pulsating when breaking.
You can search the thread in this section: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/forums/issues-repairs-warranty-tsb-recalls.29/

I'm convinced the system is functioning as Ford designed. The brakes are very inconsistent. Sometimes firm, sometimes soft, and sometimes they will go from hard to soft (as in a deliberate softening). "Bedding in" the brakes seems to help with initial brake bite but the system itself is designed to work with all of the safety systems so there appears to be some compromises in the system(programming?). Having said that, if you are a constant panic stopper, you will love the stopping power of the brakes. They haul the truck down in a hurry (found that out when bedding the brakes).

Of course, if the brakes are really pulsing through the entire braking process, then it may be those trucks have bad rotors (at least one member here had that).
Sponsored

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Juan;
Tell us about your new truck. What color?, What cab? 2WD? 4WD?

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
The 2 things I wish I could change on this truck (XLT 4x4): 1.) I'd trade the power folding mirrors for heated mirrors. 2.) The rear seat should be 60/40 and offer better storage.

I am assuming these are both by-products of the global truck platform? I have read mixed reviews on the ride characteristics. I have zero complaints about the ride. I set my tires to 35 psi. They chalked well here and I believe made it ride better than the factory 30 psi while also probably making a marginal improvement in MPG. The 2.3 didn't really surprise me with it's performance, but the 10 speed has. This, so far, has probably been the smoothest automatic transmission I have ever owned. It always seems to be in the right gear. I get tons of compliments on the looks of this truck. I have not got to or needed to use 4wd yet. I have only checked mpg by hand once and it was 22.9 ( computer was showing 22.8). After 1k miles my computer is reading 23 MPG in mixed, mainly side roads 55-60 mph driving. I am VERY happy with this truck thus far.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
The 2 things I wish I could change on this truck (XLT 4x4): 1.) I'd trade the power folding mirrors for heated mirrors. 2.) The rear seat should be 60/40 and offer better storage.

I am assuming these are both by-products of the global truck platform? I have read mixed reviews on the ride characteristics. I have zero complaints about the ride. I set my tires to 35 psi. They chalked well here and I believe made it ride better than the factory 30 psi while also probably making a marginal improvement in MPG. The 2.3 didn't really surprise me with it's performance, but the 10 speed has. This, so far, has probably been the smoothest automatic transmission I have ever owned. It always seems to be in the right gear. I get tons of compliments on the looks of this truck. I have not got to or needed to use 4wd yet. I have only checked mpg by hand once and it was 22.9 ( computer was showing 22.8). After 1k miles my computer is reading 23 MPG in mixed, mainly side roads 55-60 mph driving. I am VERY happy with this truck thus far.

Completely agree with you there on the rear seat design. The humps underneath the cushion make it really difficult to place anything large/bulky. The fact that the cushion doesn't fold vertically either, also impeding space.

I've also learned to hate the fact that there isn't a 60/40 split the hard way. Picked up my friend and his girlfriend from the airport when it was pouring rain. Didn't have a bed cover yet so the suitcases had to go in cab. With no 60/40 split, guess where those muddy, wet suitcases went? Right on top of the 3 week old brand new rear seats :) 60/40 split would have helped tremendously there. Oh well, my only "big" complaint I have of the truck so far!

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

1. The Lariat has heated mirrors - one of the plusses that made me go for the Lariat over the XLT.
  2. Totally agree - although I've learned to live with the rear seat limitations and it hasn't been a huge deal for me. I feel like if the lack of a 60/40 rear seat is the worst I have to complain about then I must be pretty happy (and I am).

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really like the rear seat design on my SuperCab.
2+2 just like my Mustang and my Pinto but more roomy and easier access!

OP
OP

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger (2019), Chevrolet Camaro 2002 Anniversary Edition
Juan;
Tell us about your new truck. What color?, What cab? 2WD? 4WD?
Hi there, picked up the truck. Looks and feels great. I bought some extended warranties (which honestly, upon review, seem a bit overpriced and will likely cancel them within the 30 day cancellation window in CA). Still, the truck is fantastic, drives amazing. Keep in mind that I've never owned a new car/truck before this. Before this truck, I was just driving around in a used / salvaged 2002 Camaro, and before that, a 1995 Camaro.

My truck is blue, its a Supercab (small rare seats) XL with the XLT appearance package and some other bells and whistles. 2WD since, again, the truck will mainly be used as a daily driver / furniture mover. I got a 50% discount on a plastic bed liner, which will be installed by the dealership in a few days as well. I hear rust is sometimes a problem with plastic bed liners, so I am going to try my best to check / clean under the liner at least once per year.

Other than that, I feel perfectly satisfied with the truck. Then again, it is day 2 of ownership. When I bought it, I did a few checks. Had them check tire pressure, had them give me a tape measure and I checked for the "lean" or "tilt" issue some folks are getting.

Crazy thing is, I normally don't like blue as a color in general. My favorite colors are Red, Yellow, and Green. Still, I really do love the way the truck looks in blue, it just works for the truck's overall design.

Randy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Wish I knew Ford was skimping on not including the Engine covers with these... bought an XLT Sport, only the Lariat comes with one...stupid.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Hi there, picked up the truck. Looks and feels great. I bought some extended warranties (which honestly, upon review, seem a bit overpriced and will likely cancel them within the 30 day cancellation window in CA). Still, the truck is fantastic, drives amazing. Keep in mind that I've never owned a new car/truck before this. Before this truck, I was just driving around in a used / salvaged 2002 Camaro, and before that, a 1995 Camaro.

My truck is blue, its a Supercab (small rare seats) XL with the XLT appearance package and some other bells and whistles. 2WD since, again, the truck will mainly be used as a daily driver / furniture mover. I got a 50% discount on a plastic bed liner, which will be installed by the dealership in a few days as well. I hear rust is sometimes a problem with plastic bed liners, so I am going to try my best to check / clean under the liner at least once per year.

Other than that, I feel perfectly satisfied with the truck. Then again, it is day 2 of ownership. When I bought it, I did a few checks. Had them check tire pressure, had them give me a tape measure and I checked for the "lean" or "tilt" issue some folks are getting.

Crazy thing is, I normally don't like blue as a color in general. My favorite colors are Red, Yellow, and Green. Still, I really do love the way the truck looks in blue, it just works for the truck's overall design.
Congrats!

You can find more info about cheap extended warranties here: https://ranger5g.com/forum/threads/dont-get-ripped-off-when-you-buy-a-extended-warranty.1068/

Reactions: Doc

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Congratulations! Enjoy the fruits of your labor, that is a nice Blue!

OP
OP

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger (2019), Chevrolet Camaro 2002 Anniversary Edition
Congrats!

You can find more info about cheap extended warranties here: https://ranger5g.com/forum/threads/dont-get-ripped-off-when-you-buy-a-extended-warranty.1068/
Oh yeah, I definitely overpaid. Over $2000 for 7 years 75k maintenance coverage, and about $2300 for 7 years 100k mile coverage of premium care. Had I known that I could negotiate that further I would have. I got an incredible deal on the truck, because I did my homework like crazy, but they did get me on the warranty stuff. Fortunately, this is something I can take back and get my money back.

Do you all think that cancelling the extended warranty will motivate them to do something bad to my truck when I go in to have my bed liner and running boards installed next week?

Also, will it have any effect on my standard 36,000/3 year bumper to bumper and 5 year 60,000 powertrain warranties?

Last edited:

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase
Oh yeah, I definitely overpaid. Over $2000 for 7 years 75k maintenance coverage, and about $2300 for 7 years 100k mile coverage of premium care. Had I known that I could negotiate that further I would have. I got an incredible deal on the truck, because I did my homework like crazy, but they did get me on the warranty stuff. Fortunately, this is something I can take back and get my money back.

Do you all think that cancelling the extended warranty will motivate them to do something bad to my truck when I go in to have my bed liner and running boards installed next week?

Also, will it have any effect on my standard 36,000/3 year bumper to bumper and 5 year 60,000 powertrain warranties?
I would no worries about that !! The one working on your truck never wee that stuff.... it would be just like taking something back to a big box store . . . no one really cares what you brought something back :)
Sponsored