If you can - try it before you buy it

HeavyDuty

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' XLT - Fox 2.0 Perf. 2" lift front & Fox rear)
Occupation
Builder
Just a quick reminder that there is nothing like trying the truck you are going to buy if possible.
I know there are special orders or circumstances that prevent trying a Ranger out first, BUT
I had been shopping (internet, used, new)for a while before buying my 2022. After quite a bit of searching I actually went to a dealer who had 5 new and 2 used rangers. So luckily landing a great salesman I was able to try quite a few XL and XLT's (Lariat was out of my price point). There were certainly subtle differences in the (all Super Crew) trucks.
I ended up buying an XLT that just felt the best of all of them. It had the electronic locking diff that the others didn't but other than that they were all pretty close spec wise. Vehicle handling, pep, the way it felt over bumps etc. all pretty close.
Two things to note on visibility after driving several Rangers with different options.
The XL's I got a chance to try had split mirrors (both sides) which I guess you would probably get use to. I found it bothersome.
Also the sliding rear window - as useful as it may be for some - for me I found a bit tough to get a clear view from rear view mirror. When combined that with the head rests in the back seat just seems to be to much blockage...again you would probably get use to it.
But I wouldn't even have thought about it until driving both ways - with split mirrors and rear sliding glass vs. with out.
Just throwing my experience out there.
Having said that - this is my second Ranger selling my first only because my wife illness forced us to sell.
Since her recovery I was out looking for another Ranger because these are great trucks.
Bought my second Ranger and very pleased again.
Sponsored

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
Always best if you can actually test drive the vehicle you intend to purchase, even among identical models the feel can be different. I test drove 3, and the XLT FX4 just 'felt' right. Enjoy your new Ranger.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Glad to hear about the recovery. Also, glad you got back into a truck you really like and works for you. I almost bought something I didn't test drive but ended up going with something that I was able to drive around a bit. (then the bird noises started but that is solved now and another thread).

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
Yea, I drove 4 Rangers and the XLT 4x4 is what I ended up with. I do love the ride and handling.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
I am almost positive if I would have done a real world test drive on my truck , and the quirky transmission, that I then found out was hard to check , and the ass and all the other stuff I bitched about ad nauseum when I arrived here , no way I buy this truck , but the internet purchase kinda forced this truck on me which otherwise wouldn't have happened ... now , I can't even imagine myself in a different truck...

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I would totally agree that one should test drive a vehicle before purchasing - I didn't follow my own advice however. Back in 2018 when I ordered my Ranger there were no units at ANY Dealers, so test driving it was out of the question. Given my good experience with Rangers and the fact that it wasn't REALLY new (based on the ROTW Ranger), I put in my order on a bit of faith. About a month or so after I ordered, a local dealer did get a couple of Rangers, so I was able to do a test drive and was able to relieve myself of the doubt I had made a mistake. 3 years later and I still love my Ranger and would order exactly the same thing again.

CATX

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger TURBO
Interesting. Definitely makes sense to test drive it before you buy. When I was looking for a new truck, I was super busy with things and never had a chance to test drive a ranger. Ever. I had driven Tacomas and frontiers and I liked the frontier but hated the Tacoma. Reading this site convinced me the ranger would be great. I did most of the buying process online and my first drive was when I went to pick it up. That was 6 months ago and I still love it. Maybe I should have had an arranged marriage too?

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
Yup, best to try it.
Not sure who tested who out but still all good ?

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
oddly my first test of a new 5g ranger was pretty sour... had one at a dealer id bought a few cars from and the sales guy knows me some what and said i know you will like it and gave me the keys.
it was an xl but had sport package and 4x4 and was the super crew. i looked it over and did not dislike it so i decided to drive it. opened the door moved the driver seat all the way back and got in. well half way in. hit my head solidly and had a step back. tried again stooping and twisting my neck. got in and immediately thought no way im gonna be watching to hit my head every time i get in and out... pass on this truck. but since i was in i cranked up the ac and adjusted mirrors and took it for a spin. hated the transmission instantly. it felt like it was constantly hunting for a gear. didnt like the materials inside, everything felt too plasticy and easy to scratch. this was in traffic and a residential area near 820. when i finally got some open road i was surprised it was a 4 banger. but i had just stepped out of my "mine at the time" 500 horse mustang so i was not super impressed. i took it back and told the sales guy i didnt like it. told him about hitting my head and how it felt cheap. so he put me in top of the line they had in the show room. bam hit my head again right away. but the inside was better. it wasnt until i really researched the ranger and tried other mid size trucks that i came back for another round. drove the one i have now and liked it. i got in carefully expecting the head bonk and adjusted my hop in accordingly. the xlt felt a little better inside and had a few more goodies. this one did not gear hunt as the first i tried. still happy with the truck but the inside is still a lil to easy to mar and scratch. ford plastics needs some work.

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
Yes you probably should, but when I ordered my 2019 XLT FX4 it was at the beginning of the model run so I bought without a test. It has been one of my favorite vehicles. Lease was up and this time I ordered a 2022 XLT Tremor and it will be ready for pick-up on Thursday. Once again I am buying without testing. It is a good idea, however with the new one I sort of know what I am getting.

scarchild35

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sales Engineer
I totally agree with the "try before you buy" idea. However, my Ranger was ordered at the dealer and they didn't have any on the lot to test drive. In this instance I was actually excited to NOT be able to drive it first. I wanted to be surprised. And surprised I was, very pleasantly surprised. Mind you, I had been driving the same 2000 Ranger I bought new for almost 23 years. I knew that my new truck would be so much better than my old one. But I didn't know that it would be THIS much better. There is no comparison. I've put about 3k miles on mine now so I've discovered all of the quirks and such that I've heard about but I have zero regrets about purchasing a MY22 Ranger and no regrets about not test driving it.