Will buy 2019 Ranger tomorrow, what do you wish you knew prior to buying?

Have you been satisfied with your 2019 Ford Ranger

• Total voters

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger (2019), Chevrolet Camaro 2002 Anniversary Edition
Hi all,

I am basically ready to pull the trigger on a 2019 Ranger tomorrow. I am getting the base model with a few extra features, and a 6 foot bed (primarily need it as a work truck and daily driver). I test drove it today, and the truck felt okay. I was also considering the Tacoma, but a similarly performing truck from Toyota was almost $4000 more. So, I was wondering, what are some things that you wish you knew prior to buying the 2019 Ford Ranger?

I would really like to walk into the dealership with as much info as I can have on the truck.

Are there any major known issues with the truck (I hear engine noise as an issue?) How reliable is the engine? Is this a truck that you could see lasting at least 10 years if properly maintained and cared for?

Does the transmission have a history, or is it newly developed? Is it reliable?

Have you been satisfied with your purchase so far?

Thanks all!
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all,

I am basically ready to pull the trigger on a 2019 Ranger tomorrow. I am getting the base model with a few extra features, and a 6 foot bed (primarily need it as a work truck and daily driver). I test drove it today, and the truck felt okay. I was also considering the Tacoma, but a similarly performing truck from Toyota was almost $4000 more. So, I was wondering, what are some things that you wish you knew prior to buying the 2019 Ford Ranger?

I would really like to walk into the dealership with as much info as I can have on the truck.

Are there any major known issues with the truck (I hear engine noise as an issue?) How reliable is the engine? Is this a truck that you could see lasting at least 10 years if properly maintained and cared for?

Does the transmission have a history, or is it newly developed? Is it reliable?

Have you been satisfied with your purchase so far?

Thanks all!
The engine and transmission have both been used in other vehicle, so are both pretty much proven.

Since most of the truck is the same as what has been in the rest of the world for the last 8 years, most of the truck is pretty much proven as well. I would expect it should last at least 10 years with proper maintenance.

I love my 2019 Ranger - there really isn't anything I would change about the order after driving it for almost 3 months now. It is probably my favorite vehicle I've ever owned. I did a LOT of research so I can't say I've learned anything that I didn't know before I bought it. I'm extremely happy with my decision.

Srgraham1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL STX
Vehicle Showcase
I never had an opportunity to test drive before I ordered my truck. My biggest reservation about buying the truck sight unseen, was the i4/10 speed powertrain. Turns out this is one of the truck's best assets. There's been no looking back on my part since taking delivery in mid April, 4,000 miles later. I've already lost count of the near capacity hauls and have towed 4,500 lbs, 20' camper several hundred miles for a couple of outings. Zero mechanical quirks for me this far. Only caveat you should be aware of is that you will need to install your own trailer brake controller as Ford does not seem to be supporting until Q4. It was a moderately difficult install due to length/location of the leads but they are provided and connections can be butt spliced in with minimal experience - Excellent how to write ups on installs in towing section of the forum.

Bottom line for me, best truck (vehicle) I've owned. As capable as my 06' f150 5.4l was and much more capable than any of the 3 previous Rangers I owned. I'm looking forward to many years and miles of service with the truck. For reference, the i4 has been in service on the focus rs, mustang, and now the new explorer. The 10 speed transmission delivers power to the wheels of the mustang and f150 among others I believe. Powertrain has proven itself in those applications thus far.

I have an XL STX 4x4 S. crew and do not have any regrets about the lower options/trim. Do have the dealer update your Sync to latest software as I have experienced some glitches there that required me to turn off over the air automatic updates. Good luck in your purchase decision!

Last edited:
OP
OP

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I never had an opportunity to test drive before I ordered my truck. My biggest reservation about buying the truck sight unseen, was the i4/10 speed powertrain. Turns out this is one of the truck's best assets. There's been no looking back on my part since taking delivery in mid April, 4,000 miles later. I've already lost count of the near capacity hauls and have towed 4,500 lbs, 20' camper several hundred miles for a couple of outings. Zero mechanical quirks for me this far. Only caveat you should be aware of is that you will need to install your own trailer brake controller as Ford does not seem to be supporting until Q4. It was a moderately difficult install due to length/location of the leads but they are provided and connections can be butt spliced in with minimal experience - Excellent how to write ups on installs in towing section of the forum.

Bottom line for me, best truck (vehicle) I've owned. As capable as my 06' f150 5.4l was and much more capable than any of the 3 previous Rangers I owned. I'm looking forward to many years and miles of service with the truck. For reference, the i4 has been in service on the focus rs, mustang, and now the new explorer. The 10 speed transmission delivers power to the wheels of the mustang and f150 among others I believe. Powertrain has proven itself in those applications thus far.

I have an XL STX 4x4 S. crew and do not have any regrets about the lower options/trim. Do have the dealer update your Sync to latest software as I have experienced some glitches there that required me to turn off over the air automatic updates. Good luck in your purchase decision!
Thanks for the detailed reply! Yes, I did read that the engine has been used in a lot of different vehicles already. That is something that gives me a little peace of mind. I only wonder how its long-term (e.g., over 100,000 miles) longevity is like, given that it is an aluminum engine with a heck of a lot of pressure and a turbocharger on top of that. If there is one thing I know about engines, is that turbochargers tend to wear them out faster. My mom has a 4 cylinder engine 1988 S10 pickup truck that she has been using since she bought it new back then (manual transmission). I honestly do not expect a modern truck to last anywhere near that long, especially with an automatic transmission. With that said, I do hope that this engine / transmission can make it to at least 130,000 miles or the 10-12 year mark if properly maintained.

Thank you!

Last edited:

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Great truck but so-so on fit and finish of some trucks. Do a very close walk around looking at panel gaps and paint.
Make sure you have windshield washer fluid and the tires are down to proper pressure. Two things the dealers missed on deliveries of some Rangers here including mine. Make sure all the TSBs were done if applicable.

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the detailed reply! Yes, I did read that the engine has been used in a lot of different vehicles already. That is something that gives me a little peace of mind. I only wonder how its long-term (e.g., over 100,000 miles) longevity is like, given that it is an aluminum engine with a heck of a lot of pressure and a turbocharger on top of that. If there is one thing I know about engines, is that turbochargers tend to wear them out faster. My mom has a 4 cylinder engine 1988 S10 pickup truck that she has been using since she bought it new back then (manual transmission). I honestly do not expect a modern truck to last anywhere near that long, especially with an automatic transmission. With that said, I do hope that this engine / transmission can make it to at least 130,000 miles or the 10-12 year mark if properly maintained.

Thank you!
This particular engine has been in the other vehicles, but the ecoboost "platform" has been around for quite a few years (7? 8? 10?) and the engines have shown to hold up well if properly maintained. I'm expecting a long life from my truck.

One thing I neglected to mention in my post - I ordered my truck without having driven it (since there were none available to test drive at that point). My son thought I was crazy, but a few weeks after I ordered mine a local dealer got one in stock and I test drove it. At that point I felt really good about my decision, and after having it for almost 3 months now, it has just gotten better. I love driving it.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Get exactly what you want. I didn't need a Lariat but the options sold me. Also, give some long and hard thought to the drivetrain as in 4x4 or 2WD. I won't use the 4WD so I went for less maintenance and insurance and bought the 2WD. I would have loved a locker but I can live without it as well. The drivetrain is fantastic. Fit and finish not so hot. Check ALL the seams and ensure they are equal. My hood was misaligned and needed adjustment. Some have uneven door seams
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/fit-and-finish-poll.3246/

I came from four Tacomas. The Tacoma is pretty mediocre on most metrics when compared. The 3rd Gen Tacoma is far more troublesome than the Ranger and its drivetrain is not as good. There is a thread at Tacomaworld that has 46,000 responses. It's regarding a $700 tune that people are installing to correct driveability issues in the 3rd gen.

Last edited:
OP
OP

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Get exactly what you want. I didn't need a Lariat but the options sold me. Also, give some long and hard thought to the drivetrain as in 4x4 or 2WD. I won't use the 4WD so I went for less maintenance and insurance and bought the 2WD. I would have loved a locker but I can live without it as well. The drivetrain is fantastic. Fit and finish not so hot. Check ALL the seams and ensure they are equal. My hood was misaligned and needed adjustment. Some have uneven door seams

I came from four Tacomas. The Tacoma is pretty mediocre on most metrics when compared. The 3rd Gen Tacoma is far more troublesome than the Ranger and its drivetrain is not as good. There is a thread at Tacomaworld that has 46,000 responses. It's regarding a $700 tune that people are installing to correct driveability issues in the 3rd gen.
One more question, I notice they use aluminum in many parts of the truck that are typically steel in other trucks (e.g., truck bed and tailgate). In some cases, it feels like cheap plastic (e.g., the side of the front). Do you foresee this being a problem for a work truck? Easier dents / more delicate?

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase
I disagree with the fit and finish, check it yes and everything else, I ordered mine in Jan built mid April, started driving May 4. No issues! None, accept tire inflation and washer fluid. I am closing in on 6k miles. Love my truck. Unless I look I cannot tell it shifts. My only small issue is that it does not seem to like 2nd gear.... but not a real issue. Please remember that most of us have not had any issues with the later builds!

OP
OP

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I disagree with the fit and finish, check it yes and everything else, I ordered mine in Jan built mid April, started driving May 4. No issues! None, accept tire inflation and washer fluid. I am closing in on 6k miles. Love my truck. Unless I look I cannot tell it shifts. My only small issue is that it does not seem to like 2nd gear.... but not a real issue. Please remember that most of us have not had any issues with the later builds!
I see, thank you! Has the auto engine off / on "feature" been an issue? Any worries / concerns about long-term wear of starter? I remember reading many years back that one of the ways cars wear down faster is by starting them up. Apparently, there is less wear on a car when driving at freeway speeds than anything else. So, is that start/off feature an issue that you are concerned will lead to a dead starter a few months down the line? I know it can be disabled, so it is the first thing I plan to do once getting the truck.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I see, thank you! Has the auto engine off / on "feature" been an issue? Any worries / concerns about long-term wear of starter? I remember reading many years back that one of the ways cars wear down faster is by starting them up. Apparently, there is less wear on a car when driving at freeway speeds than anything else. So, is that start/off feature an issue that you are concerned will lead to a dead starter a few months down the line? I know it can be disabled, so it is the first thing I plan to do once getting the truck.
The whole starting system was beefed up and engineered to handle many more starts due to the auto stop/start, so I don't think it puts any unanticipated wear on the engine or starter components.

Although it would be nice if it were a little less aggressive, I've not had any problems with it.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
If you’re getting a 4x2 XL SuperCab with the 6’ bed, that truck has the highest payload (1,860) of any midsize truck and the highest tow ratings (7,500 lbs) of any midsize truck.

If you’re planning to use your truck as a work truck the Tacoma doesn’t even come close.

SR 4x2 6’ Bed with 4 cylinder - 1,620 lbs payload / 3,500 lbs towing

SR 4x2 6’ Bed with V6 - 1,540 lbs payload / 6,800 lbs towing rating

Basically the Ranger is cheaper, has a more powerful engine, better interior room, better tow rating & payload capacity. If you’re concerned about longevity, buy the extended 8 year warranty like I did.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
One more question, I notice they use aluminum in many parts of the truck that are typically steel in other trucks (e.g., truck bed and tailgate). In some cases, it feels like cheap plastic (e.g., the side of the front). Do you foresee this being a problem for a work truck? Easier dents / more delicate?
Truck bed is not aluminum like in F150, only the tailgate is aluminum. Tacoma is plastic composite.

Tell me what’s stronger, plastic composite in the Tacoma or steel in Ranger?

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
When we heard Ford was coming out with the 2019 Ranger, we went to the International Auto Show in Orlando to test drive one. We immediately fell in love with it. We waited until March and ordered our Saber Lariat Ranger and took delivery in June. This forum has been very helpful in providing information. Some have had various issues and by them sharing, it helped me be aware of what to look for when I received my truck. I have had my Ranger 1 month, 1800 miles and absolutely no issues at all. My husband doesn’t care for the auto on/off, so I turn it off when he’s with me (it doesn’t bother me at all;)).
We have had a few trucks over the years, but the 2019 Ranger is our favorite by far!!! Just be sure you do get it how you want it so YOU will be happy.:sun::like:

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
Ranger bed is iron, taigate is AL.
Sponsored