I’m thinking of a 6 speed manual. Thoughts?

Mad440x

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford ranger
Occupation
Construction. I work!
Ok. So here’s the thing. I have a velocity blue 21 XLT 4x4. I drive 60,000 miles a year around central Florida. I love rowing my own gears and blowing out carbon. Oh and daily triples may be on the agenda. Are the parts available. If anybody has some ideas let’s hear them.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mad440x

Mad440x

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford ranger
Occupation
Construction. I work!
Great idea. Have A LKQ 15 min. From here. Thanks. Love this forum.

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Yeah, the Bronco manual transmission would bolt in. The pedal box will likely take some engineering along with the location of the clutch master cylinder. Then, just find someone to take on the tuning. All doable with enough time and money.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
The closest and most realistic thing someone has accomplished is getting their hands on a Raptor steering wheel and tapping the paddle shifters to the + / - signal lines. Actually rather simple to get to work.

Unless you just have money to burn I don't see this happening. Shops have not even done this if only to say, "its not practical, but look what we did".

NoTacos

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RangerXLT CrewCab 4x4
From the thread title I thought this was about buying the nee Tacoma with the 6 speed!

XL GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger STX
Occupation
Civil Engineering Firm
I'd love to have a 5 or 6 speed manual in my Ranger. But the amount of money to have it done at a shop, or the amount of aggravation mixed with high volume abrasive language, thrown tools, busted garage windows, or other smashed items that went flying across the garage, it just isn't worth it. Like @D Fresh said, just get another vehicle that is stick and save your money, knuckles and possibly your marriage.

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
Auto to manual swaps in modern vehicles are next to impossible with all the electronics and computer management systems.

But uh, good luck.

OP
OP
Mad440x

Mad440x

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford ranger
Occupation
Construction. I work!
You may be right. I’m a bit stubborn. when my friend told me about a manual 2016 ranger he drove in Brazil a few years ago it got me thinking. Parts for the conversion shouldn’t be too hard to source.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
You may be right. I’m a bit stubborn. when my friend told me about a manual 2016 ranger he drove in Brazil a few years ago it got me thinking. Parts for the conversion shouldn’t be too hard to source.
Stubborn just costs more money. While you’re at it put a V8 in too.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Auto to manual swaps in modern vehicles are next to impossible with all the electronics and computer management systems.

But uh, good luck.
Yeah, you would need whole new firmware for several of the modules, maybe different modules. No small task. The physical parts if you can find them is the easy part.

btsmith52

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger, 2016 Ford Fusion
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
Not sure why Ford doesn't off the 6 Speed manual. They have them sitting in the same plant and mated to the same engine and transfer case. I'm guessing it's a EPA fuel economy thing, since newer automatics usually beat manuals on the EPA test loop.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Not sure why Ford doesn't off the 6 Speed manual. They have them sitting in the same plant and mated to the same engine and transfer case.
Because the number of people who will actually give them money for it (smaller than the number of anonymous internet users that say they want one) won't cover the cost of certifying, building, maintaining parts supply, etc. Manuals are dead on new platforms except for models with specific niche demographics or absolute bottom end cost-driven vehicles.
Sponsored