David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
"house" you say Phil?
I've know some people who've beaten on a house with a Volvo loader or a Case backhoe and they got it move...permanently
(Yes, I know it's a typo Phil, keep your shirt on man! ...lol)
Ha! Good catch, I read right past that! Haven't been beating on a dead house yet, but have certainly been beating on an old one ;)
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I don’t tow often but occasionally in those conditions. My personal opinion is fluids will not hold up to 150k miles. But to each there own
My wife has an edge sport with (I think) a 6r80, it has 160K miles on it, and the trans fluid is still nice and red, not burnt, not low, no trans slippage, nothing.

Fluids of today go bad for three reasons, fuel dilution (none of that in transmissions), overheating (they are good well over 250F now), and contamination. If the fluid is nice colored still, the trans is full, and you didn't spill gasoline into it, you can basically plan on scrapping the vehicle at the end of 300K with the same transmission fluid in it (barring any mechanical failures).

Transmission fluid is "magic" (non-Newtonian), if it loses that magic, it stops working, if it's still working, it's still magic, and doesn't need a change :)

Michael Bailey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape SE 2.0 4x4, 1974 Norton Commando 850, 1967 Norton P11 750
Occupation
Trout Fisher, Layabout, US Army SGM (Ret)
Vehicle Showcase
When folks say that "they don't make them like they used to", I reply, "Thank Goodness". When I started tinkering with engines, cars, and motorcycles in the '50s, a 100K mile vehicle was a rare bird.

Consider. Sealed batteries were an astonishment to me when they came out. I put the tranny out of my first car, a '56 Olds Holiday, before I put 3,000 on it.

I believe that I can get used to an all-but-sealed transmission.

createaneutron

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT Sport
Occupation
Medical Physicist
I would like to throw a couple of videos from a ford tech on youtube into the ring here. I've watched more than a few of his videos before and he seems to be pretty knowledgeable.

That was awesome! Thanks for sharing!!

rltriumph

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Pipefitter
Hi Folks,

Ford durability is run in accordance with the change intervals as specified in the owners manual and are specified by the vehicle program people. If the owners manual says 150,000 miles for the transmission fluid, then the durability testing will not entail a transmission fluid change during the durability cycle.

The push for today's vehicles is to be as maintenance free as possible, Oil change intervals are way longer than the Jiffy Lube 3000 miles they advertise. Now the oil changes are dictated by a computer algorithm, so you drive until it says change engine oil. Thus the push to extend transmission fluid to the useful life of the vehicle at 150,000 miles. With today's modern materials and machining capabilities, customer maintenance is becoming less and less.

You are wasting time, money and effort on changing the transmission fluid in my opinion.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
A friend of mine is a truck driver. He just spent $180,000 on a new Peterbilt. Has a automated manual trans. First trans service is 750,000 miles. He could not believe it when he read the service manual. If they can get a semi to go that far without changing trans fluid i’m assuming Ford has it figured out for our trucks that do not get worked nearly as hard.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
A friend of mine is a truck driver. He just spent $180,000 on a new Peterbilt. Has a automated manual trans. First trans service is 750,000 miles. He could not believe it when he read the service manual. If they can get a semi to go that far without changing trans fluid i’m assuming Ford has it figured out for our trucks that do not get worked nearly as hard.
Wow - that is amazing - 750,000 miles! You are right, that makes me feel better about Ford's 100,000 mile interval!

janitorjim

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT 2021 302 pkg, FX2, Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Where is this trans dip stick exactly? Anyone take a pic of it? I like to check the level...
you have to take off the painted engine cover

Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

janitorjim

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT 2021 302 pkg, FX2, Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, can you retype that? What's a "paint engine cover"?o_O
not sure what you are talking about. I clearly wrote "painted engine cover" pay no attention to the "last edited" comment.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
not sure what you are talking about. I clearly wrote "painted engine cover" pay no attention to the "last edited" comment.
You mean the hood? ?? Thanks for the tip?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Where is this trans dip stick exactly? Anyone take a pic of it? I like to check the level...
you have to take off the painted engine cover
IIRC the "dipstick" for the trans is not under the engine cover.

It's under the truck, right by the exhaust. Loosen first, finger tighten, go for a drive to warm up, then check. Otherwise you could burn yourself easily.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Aftermarket dipstick...
I didn't find a specific video for the Ranger, but this one should be essentially similar .
It is for the F-150 . There may be some differences for the Ranger application.

Did I hear that right? The engine must be running or trans fluid will come out of the dip stick hole?!

And 5 pages later, year 2022...no one's done a trans fluid change yet?
Sponsored