Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I changed my oil today.

Seriously, the new screws that Ford for is using for the flap removal to access the oil filter are sweet.

My son in law and daughter have a Bronco and the push pins I don't really like all that much when I help (or do for them) oil changes.

Pretty pictures below of my Ranger's oil filter area.
IMG_2522.jpg
IMG_2524.jpg
IMG_2526.jpg
Looks nice. I've got my rivnuts and thunb screws waiting for my next oil change at 25K to install
Sponsored

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
What? Blackstone supplies viscosity and TBN. Those are hard figures with zero speculation. If viscosity has fallen from 5w30 range, time to change your oil. When there is no additives left to do their job, time to change your oil.

Their entire business model centers around informing the consumer with hard, quantifiable data...
Sounds like you are impressed with Blackhawk... or is it enamored?
So you would wait until the oil is completely depleted to change it? :crackup:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I think 1000 miles in is bit early to switch to full synthetic personally.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
If Ford uses break in oil like Honda does, you do not want to change it early, I tried to figure this out but no luck.
Some vehicles can use synthetic from day one, others need the dino oil, or simi dino oil to seat the rings in properly.

I wonder how this oil question is going to go over?

I wonder if all the people with high fuel in the oil, changed the oil early? or switched to full synthetic early?

Ha, couldn't resist, who knows, but ring sealing is about more than just the oil, but the oil can have an effect.
I'm a firm believer that an early switch to full synthetic is the culprit for the majority of fuel in oil guys.

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, I am curious at about what mileage you or maybe a dealership/oil change quick lube location, completed the first oil change in your Ranger?
I am getting close to 1,000 miles on mine and soon I will complete the first oil change myself with full synthetic.
After that, full synthetic oil changes every 3000 miles.
What say you???
5000 mile interval with any big name 5w-30 full or blend synthetic oil will be perfectly fine. The motorcraft oil is pretty good, but so are all the other name brand oils. Full synthetic every 3000 miles is just pissing money away.

OP
OP
Phil_R

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator / 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Occupation
Retired for now!
I think 1000 miles in is bit early to switch to full synthetic personally.
Hey Doug! I changed at 1,037 miles today. I know you think it is too early however I have seen new engines with assembly lube on their camshafts, etc. and my thinking was twofold. First it will flush any remaining assembly lube out with the oil and then additionally let me see if there are a lot of small metal shavings or particles that I can see in the bottom of the oil drain pan. In my case, I found no particles of metal that I could see with my eyes at all. Could I have gone a lot longer before my first oil change, easily. However, I have peace of mind now knowing everything looked fine and it has fresh oil now until my next change. In all seriousness, I will probably do my oil changes between 4 and 5 thousand miles. You may not agree and that is fine, however this will probably be my method. YMMV!

OP
OP
Phil_R

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired for now!
I'm a firm believer that an early switch to full synthetic is the culprit for the majority of fuel in oil guys.
I will actually let you know if it happens in my case. However, from what I have read, it is somewhat a common problem with some DI engines, of any brand. They say that Ford comes without break in oil and with their semi synthetic oil from the factory.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Hey Doug! I changed at 1,037 miles today. I know you think it is too early however I have seen new engines with assembly lube on their camshafts, etc. and my thinking was twofold. First it will flush any remaining assembly lube out with the oil and then additionally let me see if there are a lot of small metal shavings or particles that I can see in the bottom of the oil drain pan. In my case, I found no particles of metal that I could see with my eyes at all. Could I have gone a lot longer before my first oil change, easily. However, I have peace of mind now knowing everything looked fine and it has fresh oil now until my next change. In all seriousness, I will probably do my oil changes between 4 and 5 thousand miles. You may not agree and that is fine, however this will probably be my method. YMMV!
I can fully understand the logic behind an early first change. Even though personally I find it unnecessary.

My point was about the switch to synthetic so early and ring seating/fuel in oil issues.

If I were to have done an oil change that early I would've stuck with the Ford recommended synthetic/dino blend.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Sounds like you are creepy.

I would not change good oil because I assume it has gone bad. ?
:brokenheart: now you went and dunnit!!:crackup:

:inlove: I absolutely LOVE that first line:like:
Actually I haven't heard such a pitiful non sequitur in years,
(my youngest grandson is now 6):giggle:

Now as for assuming my good oil has gone bad... I don't, I always drain oil while it is still good.
Why run your engine on bad oil?
In fact I often have people for whom I supply my drain oil to keep their beaters topped off.
Fact is that after all is said and done, a full crankcase is most important.

I don't think ill of someone who gets his oil analyzed, at best it could help when in doubt, at worst it is a harmless waste.
What I do object to is the implication that those who don't are being irresponsible...
( or maybe even Creepy);):giggle:

I'm sure you take excellent care of your truck, maybe better than I.
?Actually I could better spend my analysis money on some good wax and some elbow grease more often! Peace:rockon:

OP
OP
Phil_R

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired for now!
5000 mile interval with any big name 5w-30 full or blend synthetic oil will be perfectly fine. The motorcraft oil is pretty good, but so are all the other name brand oils. Full synthetic every 3000 miles is just pissing money away.
It might be. Like I mentioned to Doug, I probably will do about 4 to 5 K changes, unless I have a lot of idling on the engine or I do some serious towing.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
I will actually let you know if it happens in my case. However, from what I have read, it is somewhat a common problem with some DI engines, of any brand. They say that Ford comes without break in oil and with their semi synthetic oil from the factory.
Without a doubt to certain degree it is a DI thing. And also without a doubt SOME Ranger owners have an extremely high amount as even admitted to by Ford.

That being said, you'll probably be fine. Even the guys with extreme fuel percentages still have working trucks.

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
It might be. Like I mentioned to Doug, I probably will do about 4 to 5 K changes, unless I have a lot of idling on the engine or I do some serious towing.
I mean do what makes you comfortable, but the manual says for excessive idling or towing just change the oil as indicated by the monitor. Only specifies a 5000 mi interval for off road or sandy conditions.

I guess it doesn't hurt anything. Just doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

OP
OP
Phil_R

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired for now!
Without a doubt to certain degree it is a DI thing. And also without a doubt SOME Ranger owners have an extremely high amount as even admitted to by Ford.

That being said, you'll probably be fine. Even the guys with extreme fuel percentages still have working trucks.
Understood. And so far, and I have checked my oil quite often, I have never smelled any gas smell in my oil. And I have not seen any increase in oil level in the first 1000 miles, so I agree, I will probably be a-ok. Sad that others had issues with gasoline in their oil. Did Ford ever say why this happened on some engines or give a reason for it happening? I truthfully do not remember reading why if it was posted.

OP
OP
Phil_R

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired for now!
I mean do what makes you comfortable, but the manual says for excessive idling or towing just change the oil as indicated by the monitor. Only specifies a 5000 mi interval for off road or sandy conditions.

I guess it doesn't hurt anything. Just doesn't make a ton of sense to me.
Thats fine. We all do things differently. We can respectfully disagree :like:
Sponsored