First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Understood. And so far, and I have checked my oil quite often, I have never smelled any gas smell in my oil. And I have not seen any increase in oil level in the first 1000 miles, so I agree, I will probably be a-ok. Sad that others had issues with gasoline in their oil. Did Ford ever say why this happened on some engines or give a reason for it happening? I truthfully do not remember reading why if it was posted.
No official explanation for some. Some replaced their HPFP with success. Not sure on advancements as I can't keep/catch up on a 152 page thread.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/fuel-in-oil.4803/
Sponsored

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Thats fine. We all do things differently. We can respectfully disagree :like:
Absolutely man! Enjoy your frequently-freshly-lubricated engine! ?

OP
OP
Phil_R

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator / 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Occupation
Retired for now!

Vitis805

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Wine Nerd
What I do object to is the implication that those who don't are being irresponsible...
You may have found that implication from another member in this thread, but not from me. I am only using analysis and statistics to find a more precise oil change interval. What anyone else chooses to do is their own business. I would not recommend the factory 10k interval to anyone, as the reports I have collected show with quantifiable data that this engine beats up oil before 10k.

Why run your engine on bad oil?
To find out when it went bad. With my driving habits, a 6500 interval was not long enough. If the next report @ 7500 shows bad oil then I try 7000 and analyze again. If it shows bad oil @ 7000 then 6500 will be my interval and I 100% know this with numerical proof. If the oil(s) I use change formula while I own the truck, then I will know because of the reports.

I enjoy analysis. It is a big part of why I chose my career. I find it like a hobby; a hobby that can potentially save me money. It is far from a useless expenditure to me.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I have so many other hobbies that I just don't have room for another right now, but I do respect your approach and attitude.
Me? I just change my oil and do all my due diligence once every 5000 miles, then I shut the hood and open it again at the next interval. My last 14 new Fords have proven trustworthy enough for that routine, even though the intervals have increased as the oil and the technology has improved.

Matin789

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Occupation
freelance
I think best is if you follow the owners manual.

JustSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
To reiterate, oil dilution is not a Ranger specific issue, it's all direct injected gasoline engines.
I am assuming you mean that all GDI engines are prone to oil dilution. Clearly, not all Rangers have oil dilution. So, the question is, do a higher percentage of Ranger engines have oil dilution than other make's GDI engines. And what level of fuel will damage an engine? I wish I knew the answer to these two questions.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
FWIW, all internal combustion engines are subject to some level of fuel in the oil. I would say that the use of low tension piston rings these days contributes to it fuel in the oil as much as GDI does. This is the only place I have heard as much discussion on the topic. I know the 5 GDI powered vehicles (4 of them Ecoboost) I have owned didn't have enough fuel in the oil to smell or raise the oil level.

seanellaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab Fx4
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
I have basically followed the oil change indicator on my truck, changing it when the indicator was around 10% or so (probably 9,000 or so miles). I use a high quality synthetic oil and a Motorcraft filter. I've changed my oil 3 times now.
My approach also. I think the engineer programing folks have dialed in factors such as idle time and trailer hauling

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat Fx4-Lotus Evora-Lotus Elise-BMW X7 M
I get why some folks change their oil much more frequently than I would. Towing habits, off roading, dusty environments etc or it's the way they have always done it. I do what works best for me...and they do them.

For me...I'll follow the monitoring system due to my personal use of the truck. I do light duty towing during the summer months, dropping my Sea Doo in the water every weekend. The other stuff is dump runs, compost/bark runs home depot, snowy winter days or hauling kids and their sorts equipment..stuff like that. Other than that the truck sits a lot in the driveway but that's what I bought it for.

I'm only on my 2nd oil change....set for Thursday. Bought in late July '19 now at 14k miles. So an annual oil change works fine for me. I'm not worried about it. My sports cars are the same. Factory says annually or 10k...whichever comes first (using full synthetic). I think the Ranger will be fine.

Roscoe P

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ford RangernXLT
Occupation
Retired
Actually, I am curious at about what mileage you or maybe a dealership/oil change quick lube location, completed the first oil change in your Ranger?
I am getting close to 1,000 miles on mine and soon I will complete the first oil change myself with full synthetic.
After that, full synthetic oil changes every 3000 miles.
What say you???

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat Fx4-Lotus Evora-Lotus Elise-BMW X7 M
I tend to talk too much and go off topic it seems! Also to correct my original post...I've had 2 oil changes. This will be my 3rd with just over 14k miles. Looking in my service app...I completed my first oil change at the dealer at 4,470 miles.
Sponsored