First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Did I hear that right? The engine must be running or trans fluid will come out of the dip stick hole?!

And 5 pages later, year 2022...no one's done a trans fluid change yet?
RP did a trans fluid flush, which I would not recommend.

With Ford automatics I believe the fluid change twice with a few miles between is a better option.
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Slightly off topic, but the 8 speed ZF gearbox in my Chrysler 300s requires a $600 service at 60k miles - a long time from now. High dollar fluid and filter built into the pan. Yep, still called TorqueFlite....

super-8-transmission_i01_thumb.jpeg

Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
i had talked about it in a thread. not sure which one though

basically after they did the flush i encountered a new sound.
it would do it on spirited acceleration and to me sounded like cavitation. it was like the sound of a hydraulic pump pushing fluid such as a hydrostatic drive lawn tractor if you can picture it. a whine/whoosh kind of sound.

i took it back, they rechecked the level, reflushed it.
it still made the noise, but was significantly less.
i can get it to do it still if its cold. but is almost non existant when hot.

it shifts great though.

I asked if it was related to the whine noise some 10R80's produce. Asked if it was trapped air. and they didnt know.
I just made sure they noted it in my service history.
Uhgg....that would drive me nuts...thanks for the warning...

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
Hi Tyler

Ford Durability testing is for a useful life for a 90 percentile customer of 150,000 miles. Your usage is not even close to this type of customer. By the way, people that abide by the owners manual are not nuts.. The correct term is prudent.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I am reading this thread with great interest. My personal experience with my 2005 Ranger - trannie went south at 151K. I keep my trucks for the long haul. I replaced the trannie with a Jasper rebuilt one, and I am installing a pan with a drain plug on it. $35 investment and a little bit of fluid and a filter. I am out of warranty by a long shot, but 150K isn't a long enough exchange interval for me.

Did Ford test the trannie longer than 150K miles? If so, what was the degradation rate? How many made it to 200K?

Thks for your insights,

T

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I am reading this thread with great interest. My personal experience with my 2005 Ranger - trannie went south at 151K. I keep my trucks for the long haul. I replaced the trannie with a Jasper rebuilt one, and I am installing a pan with a drain plug on it. $35 investment and a little bit of fluid and a filter. I am out of warranty by a long shot, but 150K isn't a long enough exchange interval for me.

Did Ford test the trannie longer than 150K miles? If so, what was the degradation rate? How many made it to 200K?

Thks for your insights,

T
Hi Tony,

We do test beyond 150,000 miles on occasion, but only if it is necessary to extend the durability vehicle testing... That said, It can provide useful info but there are no likely design changes as the trans objectives are already met.

Best,
Phil

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Tony,

We do test beyond 150,000 miles on occasion, but only if it is necessary to extend the durability vehicle testing... That said, It can provide useful info but there are no likely design changes as the trans objectives are already met.

Best,
Phil
Phil,
Your insights are most helpful.

Is it safe to say that Ford builds their vehicles to have a useful life of 150K miles, and maintenance schedules and decisions are made with that target in mind?

Tony

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil,
Your insights are most helpful.

Is it safe to say that Ford builds their vehicles to have a useful life of 150K miles, and maintenance schedules and decisions are made with that target in mind?

Tony
Hi Tony,

Yes....but for a 90% customer so regular customers should see good results much longer than 150,000 miles.......Just follow the outlined maintenance in the owners manual.

Best,
Phil

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
@P. A. Schilke ...is it possible loose fluid without a leak? In the last few days, my trans goes from 1st and then hangs between shift like it's in neutral...then engages 2nd a second later violently...from what I have researched, everything points to low fluid...I hope...

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
@P. A. Schilke ...is it possible loose fluid without a leak? In the last few days, my trans goes from 1st and then hangs between shift like it's in neutral...then engages 2nd a second later violently...from what I have researched, everything points to low fluid...I hope...
Hi Sid,

It is not likely to loose ATF without a leak....but we have had instances where it only dripped when the vehicle was underway but not when parked. The driplets collected on the rear axle/driveshaft but not enough to leave a spot on the ground... Not being familiar with the internals of the 10 speed trans means I can only speculate. We had a few leaks where the inside of the bellhousing got coated but it finally did start leak but not before wonky shifting occurred....

Good luck,
Phil

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
i know this is an old thread and some disagreements went round. However, I am not looking for a change vs. dont change etc. I plan on following the manual (at least until the warranty is out). My issue is about checking the level of the trans fluid, I feel like not checking the level is foolish. But ford has clearly made it hard to do on purpose. So do I crack the seal and check it or leave it alone? The trans dipstick spot is low enough Im worried opening it up will invite water and mud etc into the trans. :rolleyes: so, do i check it and feel safe that im not gonna be low on fluid in the middle of the desert at risk of issues and ford warranty cry babies or do leave it alone and hope that the person that filled it at the factory did it correctly and no need to bother? both seem wrong and correct at the same time.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just completed watching a YT video on a fellow who changed his trannie fluid in his US Ford Ranger. I then began reading the comments and came upon this nugget:

Daniel Green
1 month ago

"Here in Australia our rangers have dipstick in engine bay, 10r80 transmission"

This statement opens up a big can of worms. Does all this talk of not needing oil changes in the trannie only apply to the US market? Both markets use Identical transmissions., but the Australia version has a traditional dipstick while the US market does not.

( Sarcasm Alert on )
Maybe Ford thinks the Australians are better mechanics & can be trusted to service their Rangers.
Maybe the Australian Ford QA test team came to a different conclusion than the US team
Maybe US owners don't tow with their trucks and the Australians do.
Maybe its a southern hemisphere vs northern hemisphere thing
God and Ford Only Knows!
( Sacasm Alert off )

Or maybe, just maybe, it's kinda like Ford putting an AC low pressure line fitting in the passenger front wheel well behind the plastic fender liner in some of its car models, while every other manufacturer has them located in the engine bay.... where they were easily serviceable.

Whatever the reason, there appears to be a lack of consistency here, and If I were the suspicious type, I would assume that the lack of a dipstick in the US model is more about cost savings and driving customers to a service model by the "professionals" at the Ford Dealerships..... IF I were the suspicious type.

I have an engineering background. I live by definable repeatable results. Inconsistencies bring doubt. I learned a long time ago that people (and corporations), tend to provide a good reason for doing something, but seldom reveal the real reason justifying that something.

It is obvious that different Ford market divisions have leeway in both design and build decisions, and Ford Australia chose to spend the money to fit the trannie with an engine bay dipstick.

The $64K is why? After all, Ford USA states that the trannie is basically maintenance free and no dipstick is needed? Is this the real reason, or the good reason?

Tony

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a vid from 2020 US spec...

https:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVPcIENgR-g&list=WL&index=4&t=810s

Yesterday, I crawled under and checked out the location of this dipstick...my GOD! I can barely get to it with skinny hands...while the truck was cold, I had a hell of a time wrenching the cap off...with a 19mm open wrench, I contacted the end of the wrench with a 2 foot long extension just so I can pound it with a 3 lb sledge hammer and it finally came loose...HollySh!t...how did you guys get it off...

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Here's a vid from 2020 US spec...

https:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVPcIENgR-g&list=WL&index=4&t=810s

Yesterday, I crawled under and checked out the location of this dipstick...my GOD! I can barely get to it with skinny hands...while the truck was cold, I had a hell of a time wrenching the cap off...with a 19mm open wrench, I contacted the end of the wrench with a 2 foot long extension just so I can pound it with a 3 lb sledge hammer and it finally came loose...HollySh!t...how did you guys get it off...
Damper free so no weak ass arms? I used a Gearwrench and didn't have any trouble.
Sponsored