Has anyone done a complete 2019 Ranger oil/filter change by themselves yet?

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
The 4 plastic "screw rivets" on the left fender flap to access the oil filter are
disappearing one by one. I went to Ford to purchase a handful but at $7.00 USD a piece,
is highway robbery. Ford Part #W715694-S300. Can these special plastic rivets be found
for a cheaper price? Even at $3.00 a piece is ludicrous.

There will definitely be an aftermarket equivalent. I will try to remember to see if I can cross reference the part number at work on Monday. If that doesn’t work then my first oil change when I take them out I’ll try and match something up. We have lots of different types in small packages of 4-6 of them for around $3.
Sponsored

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
My current car has 200+k miles on a 10k oil change schedule. If that's what the manufacturer says it needs, I don't know why I'd waste money doing it more often.
Bingo. Been doing it that way forever. Like we used to say in the Army, RTFM...if the book says 10K, it's 10K. I'm not an engineer and if the ones that are that built the engine say 10K, it'll be fine until then. Still, it doesn't hurt to check the dipstick every now and then. Folks don't really do that anymore anyway.

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
There will definitely be an aftermarket equivalent. I will try to remember to see if I can cross reference the part number at work on Monday. If that doesn’t work then my first oil change when I take them out I’ll try and match something up. We have lots of different types in small packages of 4-6 of them for around $3.
Thanks Fullscale - The part has 7/8" head with 11/16" screw in length with a diameter of 1/4" or to fit a 6.4mm hole. I was able, after going thru many stock body/bumper screw varieties at the local auto store and found them. $3.60 for six of them. Fords cost is ~$42 for six of them.:clap:

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
These pry bar body tools make it easy to remove the plastic screw rivets on the left fender flap to access the oil filter. The long 24" 3/8 drive extension (Harbor Freight) makes removing the oil filter easy peasy. ;)
Of course, if you are a midget, then you don't need these special tools.

Tools.JPG

RyanSK

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Does the oil drain plug need to be replaced every oil change or just a plug gasket?

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Does the oil drain plug need to be replaced every oil change or just a plug gasket?
That’s a good question, I doubt the plug has to be replaced but I wonder if it has an aluminum gasket that has to be.

Ranger #6

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x2, 2012 MINI Cooper S, 2012 Toyota RAV4
Occupation
Aircraft Stress Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Anybody found a quarter-turn oil funnel that works with the ranger? I am returning the Motivx funnel because it is not "keyed" like the oil filler cap. One notch should be larger than the other. The Motivx funnel notches are both the same size.

Stabilizing a normal funnel with one hand while handling a 5-quart jug with the other hand is not an option. As it is, I have to use a step stool to easily reach the filler port. No short jokes, please... :D

Update #1: I sent an inquiry to MotivX, and will update this post if/when they reply.
Update #2: MotivX replied last night... "We do have the new Ford Ecoboost funnels in development which matches the cap you are describing, we should see it in production next year..."

Last edited:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I drove my Focus for 100K worth of oil changes with a plug that looked almost exactly like the one in the ranger. I have the Fumoto valve and extension in my ranger now, I did it so I don't have to remove the skid plate in order to change the oil.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Thanks Fullscale - The part has 7/8" head with 11/16" screw in length with a diameter of 1/4" or to fit a 6.4mm hole. I was able, after going thru many stock body/bumper screw varieties at the local auto store and found them. $3.60 for six of them. Fords cost is ~$42 for six of them.:clap:
Nicely done. Ford seriously wants $42 dollars for (6) of those plastic fasteners? Wow.

Could you perhaps share P/N's and where you got these so we can all benefit from your efforts?

As a side note for folks that haven't seen it... see below for a link to Fords pdf that details the oil draining and filling procedure.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ranger #6

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x2, 2012 MINI Cooper S, 2012 Toyota RAV4
Occupation
Aircraft Stress Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Nicely done. Ford seriously wants $42 dollars for (6) of those plastic fasteners? Wow.

Could you perhaps share P/N's and where you got these so we can all benefit from your efforts?

As a side note for folks that haven't seen it... see below for a link to Fords pdf that details the oil draining and filling procedure.
Just some notes about the oil change procedure (things they don't tell you in the manual)...
- Turn the wheel to full passenger-side lock; allows for better access.
- It's only necessary to remove the three forward shield screws. After that, tuck the shield underneath the brake line; that will keep it out of the way. The shield screws are reusable; I fail to see the need to use a trim tool (suggested in this thread) since the screw can be backed out with a screw driver and then by hand. The clip can then be removed by hand. Knowing the cost Ford charges for these things is motivation enough not to lose or destroy them.
- Let the truck run for 10 to 15 seconds in order to warm up the oil (for faster drain) and the oil filter (it's easier to remove a warm oil filter).
- Loosen the oil filter first and then re-snug it. Don't make the mistake I made with our previous ('05) RAV4, and drain all of the oil out, only to realize that the filter can't be removed.
- [For 4x2 owners...] the rear skid plates are not applicable.
- Oil will drain towards the passenger side, but... Before removing the drain bolt, make sure the driver-side (left) edge of the drain pan is located well to the left of the drain bolt location. Initially (and prior to total removal of the drain bolt), oil will hit the bolt head and splash to the left before the bolt is totally removed from the scene. I made that mistake and ended up with a bunch of oil on the garage floor. :( I suppose this is a good argument for getting a Fumoto valve, but I'm still not a proponent... Crawling underneath your truck once or twice a year is not only good exercise, but might also reveal unexpected leaks (or other issues) covered under warranty.
- Before removing the oil filter, center the drain pan a few inches aft of the sway bar.
- Brake cleaner is not required for cleaning the filter trough; just use paper shop towels.
- Measured torquing of the filter is not required. Just snug by hand, and then rotate 3/4 turn. A Motorcraft FL-910S filter is slightly different (14 flutes, I think), and the 15-flute filter socket slipped slightly but still managed to complete the 3/4 turn.

spike36ff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
For those of you worried about a leak with the drain plug use this. I’ve been using for years. I guarantee you’ll never ever have a drain plug leak. I just wire brush it off each oil change and re apply it.

A0B7F934-9326-4339-BC88-AAB86EF31224.png

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
For those of you worried about a leak with the drain plug use this. I’ve been using for years. I guarantee you’ll never ever have a drain plug leak. I just wire brush it off each oil change and re apply it.

Hi Spike,

Used to use this on the case halves of the old air cooled VW engines. Not sure about drain plugs for engine oil..Really not intended for this application, but am impressed by your application!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport

Resourceful, but just get a fumoto valve and forget about it.

spike36ff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Hi Spike,

Used to use this on the case halves of the old air cooled VW engines. Not sure about drain plugs for engine oil..Really not intended for this application, but am impressed by your application!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Wes

Phil,
We use this all the time for drain plugs at my family’s small engine shop, have for years. I don’t apply a lot just a little to the threads. I agree not it’s intended purpose but it works
Sponsored