Has anyone done a complete 2019 Ranger oil/filter change by themselves yet?

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
No skid plate present - not on my XL 4x2 "plain Jane" 2019 Ford Ranger with no options.;)
Same here, NO skid plate XL 4X2
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
So maybe it's only 4x4's, I'll have to look at my dad's truck on Tuesday.

Srgraham1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL STX
Vehicle Showcase
4x4 xl stx has skid plate (not fx4). Just did my first oil change. Opted not to remove the plate since it is slotted and the oil drained right through it. Did still drop some oil on driveway though since it didn't drain completely and shifting the truck in reverse caused oil to continue to run off skid plate. Will remove next time to clean and avoid further messes. Rest of the oil change was easy once I found the strength to remove the factory filter. No removing wheel or turning it even. Removed only 3 pins from wheel well shrowd.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Can someone verify if this is the drain plug? I'm pretty sure since it's at the bottom of the engine but just to be sure...I'm asking those of you who know what it looks like since you've done an oil change yourself :wink:

LkXTkgH.jpg

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can someone verify if this is the drain plug? I'm pretty sure since it's at the bottom of the engine but just to be sure...I'm asking those of you who know what it looks like since you've done an oil change yourself :wink:

LkXTkgH.jpg
I didn't really look at mine, but if it's on the bottom of the oil pan above that funny little skid plate, then that's it.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
Getting ready to do my first change next weekend. Got my F valve and heading over to BJ’s to get my Mobile One. Safe to assume we don’t need to put the truck up on ramps right?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Getting ready to do my first change next weekend. Got my F valve and heading over to BJ’s to get my Mobile One. Safe to assume we don’t need to put the truck up on ramps right?
You might consider jackstands so that you can rotate your tires.

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
Safe to assume we don’t need to put the truck up on ramps right?
No ramps if you are "slender enough" (I am 6'4" 215#) to reach the oil drain pan from the side. Otherwise, dig a small trench in the yard or buy ramps.;)Note: The XL trim model has 16" steelies wheels/rims and other trim models might have 2 extra inches, in height, due to different rims/wheels. Some people find it easier to turn the wheels "hard right" before they shutdown the engine. This trick might help you on the oil filter access. For safety, chock the wheels and apply the hand brake;)
Another trick is only run the Ranger for 2 minutes for the oil to flow but is not hot enough to burn you.
This way, you will escape from burning yourself from underneath the vehicle.;)

Last edited:

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
No ramps if you are "slender enough" (I am 6'4" 215#) to reach the oil drain pan from the side. Otherwise, dig a small trench in the yard or buy ramps.;)Note: The XL trim model has 16" steelies wheels/rims and other trim models might have 2 extra inches, in height, due to different rims/wheels. Some people find it easier to turn the wheels "hard right" before they shutdown the engine. This trick might help you on the oil filter access. For safety, chock the wheels and apply the hand brake;)
Another trick is only run the Ranger for 2 minutes for the oil to flow but is not hot enough to burn you.
This way, you will escape from burning yourself from underneath the vehicle.;)
Re: The XL trim model has 16" wheels/rims and other trim models might have 2 extra inches, in height, due to different rims/wheels.
I believe that ALL have the same outside diameter. The larger wheels have lower profile tires.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't have any trouble getting in and out of the underside of the truck, but I'm not that big. I did have trouble getting my short little arms far enough into the wheel well to effectively apply enough torque to remove the factory oil filter.

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I believe that ALL have the same outside diameter.
At the local dealership, a XL was side by side with a Lariat and the Lariat seemed to have more height - go figure? If it is not the tires then what is it?

Last edited:
OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I did have trouble getting my short little arms far enough into the wheel well to effectively apply enough torque to remove the factory oil filter.
The Wayne Michigan assembly gorillas add true meaning to the words factory tight.:devil: