Has anyone done a complete 2019 Ranger oil/filter change by themselves yet?

John Galt

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Been changing oil in Fords for about a million total miles, never once replaced the drain plug due to the washer. Fumoto is still sitting on my counter, though now I have the right oil, and the FL400s ready to go. Currently sitting at 4600 miles.
I don't disagree that it would probably be okay, but the proper procedure is to replace, so I replace. Been in and around way too many expensive things that have broken because someone used tribal knowledge or first hand experience to deviate from a procedure.
Sponsored

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
Just changed oil in my truck. 998 miles on it and the oil looked fairly brown. I used Amsoil 0w-30 signature and an FL400s Amsoil equivalent filter. I can say I do like the filter being accessed from the side and the funnel they added in to catch oil from the filter is greatly appreciated. Total added is 6.4 quarts. Now the truck is ready for a tune. :muscle:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Did my oil on Friday, I have short arms, so it was a pain in the arse to access that filter. It was also really tight so I almost did not get it off without resorting to "the tool method". Other than the Fumoto 107N not fitting (the oil pan is recessed too far), I had no issues. I did about 6.75 quarts with an FL400S, but I changed it fairly warm, and it drained for quite a while before I got everything back together.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
The need for a specialized, expensive torque wrench for this oil/filter change is probably met with great skepticism to why it is really needed.

If you tightened a bolt too tight, it could destroy the threads and/or stretch the bolt for future failure or breakage.
If you tightened a bolt too loose - it could vibrate, loosen or fall off the machinery.
The torque wrench, with the proper specified torque setting, is used to prevent both of the above cases from happening. (only if the torque wrench is used right - see torque wrench instructions)

The oil pan drain bolt/plug is critical because over tightening could destroy the engine oil pan threads and this will result in hundreds of dollars in repair bills.
Having the drain plug too loose will cause oil leakages which could destroy the engine due to lack of oil.
Unless you have a lot of money to blow - have a torque wrench handy for this oil/filter changeout.

Drip calculator trivia - A slow oil leak of 1 drip per minute will waste/lose 18 ounces of oil in a day!
I'm a retired fleet mechanic and I have been in every kind of mechanic shop and service bay and many major road race tracks in this country. I have never witnessed or heard of anyone actually using a torque wrench on an oil filter or even a oil pan plug.
I admit to finding stripped pan plugs, but that was pretty much solved by reducing wrench size from as much as 13/16 down to 13mm.
"Professinal " mechanics learn early how to torque an oil filter by hand and what "snug" feels like on a pan plug.
The plug on my 2001 ranger was 18 years old, so I had not changed it yet when I sold it (oil change every 3000 miles.)
Still it probably won't hurt if you want too and you got the time and tools!

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
!5 years rebuilding auto transmissions never used a torque wrench. Not even on the valve body. But, some people believe in the theory: tighten it up as tight as you can and two more turns LOL
Oil filters: hand tighten only. Wipe a little oil on the seal, tighten it snug and 1/4 more with your hand. Of course you always check for leaks when done. right?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm a retired fleet mechanic and I have been in every kind of mechanic shop and service bay and many major road race tracks in this country. I have never witnessed or heard of anyone actually using a torque wrench on an oil filter or even a oil pan plug.
I admit to finding stripped pan plugs, but that was pretty much solved by reducing wrench size from as much as 13/16 down to 13mm.
"Professinal " mechanics learn early how to torque an oil filter by hand and what "snug" feels like on a pan plug.
The plug on my 2001 ranger was 18 years old, so I had not changed it yet when I sold it (oil change every 3000 miles.)
Still it probably won't hurt if you want too and you got the time and tools!
My jeep had a 5MM allen key on an aluminum plug, about 99% of them were stripped after the first time they visited an oil change place. even dealers were well known for stripping the plug. (the threads stripped out not the allen key hole).

Basically every one still on the road either has a helicoil or a fumoto in it. No wrench required for the Fumoto, which is why I love them.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
My jeep had a 5MM allen key on an aluminum plug, about 99% of them were stripped after the first time they visited an oil change place. even dealers were well known for stripping the plug. (the threads stripped out not the allen key hole).

Basically every one still on the road either has a helicoil or a fumoto in it. No wrench required for the Fumoto, which is why I love them.
I hear ya! But I would hardly call most jiffy lube techs, professional grade mechanics!
I see Walmart now uses a suction tube down the dipstick and won't remove a pan plug.
I'll check out the fumoto device to see how it will work after my truck arrives.
Years ago it was common for steel oil pans to have a nut tacked inside the pan.
When over torqued they would break off inside the pan!

Dennis Harvey

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Two questions...

1. Part number for the fumoto valve(s) that fit our trucks.

2. How do you keep record of routine maintenance so Ford won't try to deny future warranty claims (knock on wood)?

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
The drain plug is no reusable as the washer is built in. Ford sold me a new one for 14 dollars.
There is something wrong by paying $14 for the Ford drain plug - My Ford dealership sold me one for $6.60 ? (Ford part number 9L8Z-6730-A);)
Even a search on RockAuto.com produces an alternate drain plug(s) for about $2-$3.:wink:

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
There is something wrong by paying $14 for the Ford drain plug - My Ford dealership sold me one for $6.60 ? (Ford part number 9L8Z-6730-A);)
Even a search on RockAuto.com produces an alternate drain plug(s) for about $2-$3.:wink:
Even $6.60 for a bolt is pretty bad. If they are that expensive, a Fumoto valve looks better and better.

It looks like a DORMAN 65430 or DORMAN 090175 will fit. RockAuto has them for $2.24 or $2.42. 15 MM head and M12-1.75 threads.

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
!5 years rebuilding auto transmissions never used a torque wrench. Not even on the valve body. But, some people believe in the theory: tighten it up as tight as you can and two more turns LOL
Oil filters: hand tighten only. Wipe a little oil on the seal, tighten it snug and 1/4 more with your hand. Of course you always check for leaks when done. right?
Yeah, I can't go by this theroy. I have a habit of snapping bolts off. Busted off a lot of wheel studs off. What I consider tight is a little different than other people. Now I just do snug.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Even $6.60 for a bolt is pretty bad. If they are that expensive, a Fumoto valve looks better and better.

It looks like a DORMAN 65430 or DORMAN 090175 will fit. RockAuto has them for $2.24 or $2.42. 15 MM head and M12-1.75 threads.
I mean, it has an INTEGRATED WASHER, that's gotta be worth some kind of money...

I have the fumoto ready to go for next oil change, I'll let everyone know if it fits as I'll likely make it to my second oil change before most make it to the first.

tugger

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019 Super Crew Latiat Lightning Blue FX4
Occupation
Register Nurse Emergency Room
I am going to change my oil every 6000 miles.I use nothing but Mobile 1.My last two Rangers had over 200,000 miles using mobile one. I just received my truck Monday and have two free oil changes at the dealer I will let them change the oil mobile one only.

Washashore

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SCab Lariat 4x4

In addition to the Dorman bolt, Rock Auto also shows the gasket as a standalone item..
MAHLE B32655 https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/mahle,B32655,oil+drain+plug+gasket,5428

This may also be available over the counter at NAPA or Autozone.
Sponsored