micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I have been an Undercover fan for years - GREAT customer support. As well as parts support AND when possible upgrade parts and support.
On my last Truck I started with a non-removable 1 pcs cover. The newer models came with a quick release system to easily take it off the truck. With Undercover's help I as able to upgrade min with the new hinge assemblies.
On my Ranger I bought a used Flex(for $100! - it has hail damage). Found out they had updated the bulkhead seal and had a kit to upgrade.
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I'll throw in my experience with my Extang Tri-fold soft cover. You can fold it to have only one section down behind the cab and secure it in place for drivability. With two easy wingnuts you can take it completely off. It's not very heavy. When you fold it down it secures with two spring-loaded latches by the tailgate, super simple. It is water proof. It looks great. I also like the fact that it adds height like an inch or two to be able to completely store something that is slightly higher than the bed.
I will echo this - I've had my Extang tri fold for over 3 years now and still love it. For me, it is a perfect compromise. It is a hard cover so it provides a bit more security, it folds up almost flat (one section left it place, which is fine for most things where you want an open bed) and it really easy to remove if you need access to the entire bed.

I'm not sure I'd say it is completely water and dust proof, but I think that has more to do with the gaping gaps in the Ranger bed. I'd say it keeps almost all water off things, but if you REALLY want something totally waterproof, you'd need to look elsewhere.

I'm VERY happy with my choice.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I will echo this - I've had my Extang tri fold for over 3 years now and still love it. For me, it is a perfect compromise. It is a hard cover so it provides a bit more security, it folds up almost flat (one section left it place, which is fine for most things where you want an open bed) and it really easy to remove if you need access to the entire bed.

I'm not sure I'd say it is completely water and dust proof, but I think that has more to do with the gaping gaps in the Ranger bed. I'd say it keeps almost all water off things, but if you REALLY want something totally waterproof, you'd need to look elsewhere.

I'm VERY happy with my choice.
Have the tri fold and I can say it's not dust proof, have done a lot of dusty road driving this summer. I could conceivably make it dust proof but to me not worth the bother. Does pretty good for water.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Have the tri fold and I can say it's not dust proof, have done a lot of dusty road driving this summer. I could conceivably make it dust proof but to me not worth the bother. Does pretty good for water.
Yeah, I do a lot of Forest Service gravel road driving and I get dust inside. I've also added (or attempted to add) the seals on the tailgate as well as the front corners - but dust still gets in.

I'm still very happy with it though. 100% dust/waterproof was never a requirement for me.

Deleted member 15875

I also have a bed rug and a hard folding top which I do remove when haul stuff in the bed. Just spent 4 days moving all kind of nasty ourside stuff and not a scratch to the liner.
You are correct about its up to the installer. I originally had an appointment with the local line x but there shop was a mess and was not comfortable with the staff. The Rhino Liner installer was awesome, they even offered to let me borrow his Escalade.
I was just looking at images from a local Rhino Liner installer. Holy crap, they have to sand down all the paint in the bed, basically ruining the factory paint. I guess I didn't realize it was this involved. It's spray on, I get it, but didn't know the oem paint had to be sanded down and the entire vehicle taped up. One mistake and it could be disastrous.

As clean as the Rhino liner looks, I'm not sure this is what I want after all. I'm hoping there's some 3rd party drop in bed liners that look reasonably integrated and clean, but aren't permanent in the event the liner needs to be removed or replaced?

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
I was just looking at images from a local Rhino Liner installer. Holy crap, they have to sand down all the paint in the bed, basically ruining the factory paint. I guess I didn't realize it was this involved. It's spray on, I get it, but didn't know the oem paint had to be sanded down and the entire vehicle taped up. One mistake and it could be disastrous.

As clean as the Rhino liner looks, I'm not sure this is what I want after all. I'm hoping there's some 3rd party drop in bed liners that look reasonably integrated and clean, but aren't permanent in the event the liner needs to be removed or replaced?
I have had no liner, plywood, drop in. For me either just a bed rug or if you use the bed for more than boxes andcsuch a well installed bedliner is the best route IMHO. I hated the drop in that I had in two trucks previously but just my experience and opinion. Perhaps it would work for you.

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
I have an Extang Trifold 2.0 Signature Series soft folding cover. I like the looks of the Signature series fabric compared to the standard vinyl. Love it. I didn't want a hard cover. My husband has one on his Sierra and it takes two of us to flop all the sections forward. Since I only need a cover to keep things out of sight and out of the weather the soft cover fits my needs. Mine has been 100% water tight so far.

joeduran3

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Retired
I'm in the middle of installing my MX4 BakFlip. The clamps for the rails just aren't long enough to get a good grip on the bed rail. Guess I'll be calling tech support.

OP
OP
airline tech

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Thanks all for your input, I pulled the trigger on the Undercover Armor Flex, pricey but I like it. The place I bought it from installed it for $35, I was planning on installing myself but for that price and 45-minute wait I had them do it. Time for next upgrade - Running Boards and Bed Organizer for groceries & small items that can be removed for the bigger stuff

Hethern

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red Ranger
Occupation
Communications Technician aka (Phone Man)
Vehicle Showcase
All,

First Truck owner here and need input on what to get

I want to add a Tonneau Cover and am looking at the following:

I am weighing the features of them and am looking at:

1. Waterproof Ability - I know I will probably get some water in the bed
2. Durability - Holds up to long term use, sun fading, cables and latches breaking etc...
3. Dent Resistance - Is the Line-X Coated Armorflex really better
3. Fully Folded - against cab, does it actually touch cab or supports itself in upright position?

The Top 3 I am looking at

1. Undercover Armorflex - For the Line-X Coating scratch resistance vs Ultraflex
2. Leer - HF650M - For the Quad Fold (ability to see 3rd brake light) vs HF350M Trifold
3. BAK - Bakflip MX4

Any other Hard Cover -Folding that I should look at? and highly recommended favorites

Thanks
Airline Tech
Extang Exceed

RedSetters

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Black Lariat FX4
Occupation
Retired Contractor
Had 4 Extang soft folding covers on last 4 trucks. Loved the first three. Last one wasn’t as good. This time I got a MX4. Install was a pain but I like it a lot.

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
I'm in the middle of installing my MX4 BakFlip. The clamps for the rails just aren't long enough to get a good grip on the bed rail. Guess I'll be calling tech support.
I did the Gator EFX and had the same issue. It goes on, but not as easy as it would appear. Once on and tightened everything was good.

Love the lockable storage and no leaks!
Sponsored