2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
All,

First Truck owner here and need input on what to get

I want to add a Tonneau Cover and am looking at the following:

I am weighing the features of them and am looking at:

1. Waterproof Ability - I know I will probably get some water in the bed
2. Durability - Holds up to long term use, sun fading, cables and latches breaking etc...
3. Dent Resistance - Is the Line-X Coated Armorflex really better
3. Fully Folded - against cab, does it actually touch cab or supports itself in upright position?

The Top 3 I am looking at

1. Undercover Armorflex - For the Line-X Coating scratch resistance vs Ultraflex
2. Leer - HF650M - For the Quad Fold (ability to see 3rd brake light) vs HF350M Trifold
3. BAK - Bakflip MX4

Any other Hard Cover -Folding that I should look at? and highly recommended favorites

Thanks
Airline Tech
Sponsored

AzureRanger

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep TJ
Occupation
Retired
All I can say is, keep the Tylenol handy. You're going to get a headache trying to decide.

AzureRanger

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep TJ
Occupation
Retired
As far as my experience goes, I had a hard folding cover on my F-150. I had a 6 1/2' bed so it had 4 panels. I'm in my late 60's and reasonably fit, but I struggled getting the third, and especially the fourth, panels folded if I was standing outside the truck. Mine was a BakFlip Fibre Max, so I don't know how the weight of those panels compare to the ones you are looking at. I ended up switching to a retractable cover....could open it with two fingers. I'm not sure a retractable is a good option for the Ranger, especially the SCREW, given the space taken up by the canister.

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Went with a Gator EFX hard fold. It was the cheapest hard folding that RealTruck sold for the Ranger. So far works great and hasn't leaked that I've noticed.

DonB

Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 HPR Ranger Super Cab FX4
Occupation
Retired
All,

2. Durability - Holds up to long term use, sun fading, cables and latches breaking etc...
3. Fully Folded - against cab, does it actually touch cab or supports itself in upright position?

1. Undercover Armorflex - For the Line-X Coating scratch resistance vs Ultraflex
2. Leer - HF650M - For the Quad Fold (ability to see 3rd brake light) vs HF350M Trifold
3. BAK - Bakflip MX4

Any other Hard Cover -Folding that I should look at? and highly recommended favorites

Thanks
Airline Tech
You're cheating yourself by excluding some of the really nice roll-ups. I've used them for years and never had a problem

DangerRanger8721

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I with the roll up guys! I have the TruXedo TruXport. Works great!! I usually leave it rolled up rolled out in the winter or if necessary. Sits nicely against the cab and never interferes with bed space.

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
I have the Bakflip MX4 and after finally getting the rails mounted solidly with better shims plus getting a replacement cover that didn't have major quality defects it does the job. Probably wouldn't buy it again though.

GTHAYS

First Name
Glynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL STX
Occupation
23 Years in Prison on the 8 hour installment plan. (Retired, intact)
All,

3. BAK - Bakflip MX4

Thanks
Airline Tech
Check out Peragon. I wanted one when I got my truck. Didn't want to wait and got the LEER instead. I like it, but the Peragon one is nice because it folds down (accordian) instead of up and over like a burrito.

Jbrubakerjr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
I did the Leer, and like the fact that the brake light is exposed. But in full disclosure it is only PARTLY exposed on the Ranger. You can probably see the glow from it, the light itself is not completely visible from the rear, and probably less visible from a smaller car.
1664248224147.jpeg

I am very happy with it, though, and would still choose the Leer.

Last edited:

Clank

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Registered Nurse
Vehicle Showcase
All,

3. BAK - Bakflip MX4

Thanks
Airline Tech
Bought the ford version, which I believe is an overpriced bakflip g2. Bought it at the time because of a promotion for 500 dollars credit towards accessories. Its good quality and i like that it came with drain plugs with pre-cut holes for the drain tube.I would say any of the options you have there are great options. I would pay attention to a few things if I were you.

1. Does it have the flap that allows you to close the tailgate while the cover is locked? It's a minor annoyance on mine but would be nice.
2. Make sure whatever cover you choose allows full bed access. Not only comes in handy for loading and emptying but also for cleaning the bed out.
3. The coating should be durable enough to resist scratches. I would find it pretty difficu,t to dent one of these things, but scratches would be easier on mine than a bedliner Coating.
4. I wouldn't rule out the rolling hard covers. As those allow you to see out the back while fully rolled up. They might take up a bit more space horizontally when rolled fully up if that matters to you.
5. Choose whichever one fits your budget and looks best to your eye. The tougher coatings typically have a duller appearance than the others which are more glossy. The roll ups I believe are typically a little duller appearing too.

Clump

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST former 2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
I had an Extang Xceed on my 2019 and liked it so much I
20220112_182006.jpg
did it again on my 2021. Install is not too bad. Very little water intrusion and VERY low profile. When fully open it does block the back window completely. It has little arms that hold it up, so it's not touching the truck cab at all.

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
Rhinoliner spray in liner( no fade and in excellent condition 3 1/2 years after installation ?) bed rug and Con Agra trifold aluminum bed cover. Water proof, flush to bed rails and theft resistant. Had this done when I first bought the truck and would do the exact same again.

Jbrubakerjr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
Adding a picture from the rear so you can see about how much of the brake light is exposed when open.
1664283395006.jpeg
Sponsored