airline tech

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Cool - Thanks, I think I'm leaning more towards the Leer. Although I hate to have the rear window blocked but it will be rare to actually have it in full fold position. I mainly like the security of the folding vs roll up. I guess I will need more Tylenol:crazy:
Sponsored

Sarge104

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
19 FR, 13 VB, 95 GS MH, 00 HE
Occupation
County Cemetery District, SAR volunteer
I have the Bakflip MX4 and after finally getting the rails mounted solidly with better shims plus getting a replacement cover that didn't have major quality defects it does the job. Probably wouldn't buy it again though.
I've had my own nightmare over this tonneau cover over the same reasons. I love it when it works though, doesn't block much of the back window when folded up and provides a good bit of security when rolled down.

Pictures are of my second wind incedent, final fix and first version with the cover fully rolled up.

rearincedent.jpg

IMG_20220510_172606042_HDR.jpg

KIMG0504.JPG

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
MX4 works great for me. Rarely folded all the way up so the brake light is no big deal.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
All,

First Truck owner here and need input on what to get

Any other Hard Cover -Folding that I should look at? and highly recommended favorites

Thanks
Airline Tech
It's not folding, but I love my Bak Revolver X4s. It rolls up close to the cab but I can still see out the back.

It did break in the first two weeks, but they made good on it and I had a replacement in a week.

I was looking at a folding, at first, because this one's crazy expensive, but now that I've been using it for a few months, I'm glad I went with it. I drive with it open and closed and use it a once or twice a week.

It was a big PIA to install and I suspect that's true for many hard covers. The plastic rail caps don't sit flush to the sheet metal beneath, so you have to use shims (should come with your cover) to keep the clamps and tonneau rails square.

You can't go wrong with whatever you choose and it's 100% up to what your needs and wants are.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
I've had my own nightmare over this tonneau cover over the same reasons. I love it when it works though, doesn't block much of the back window when folded up and provides a good bit of security when rolled down.

Pictures are of my second wind incedent, final fix and first version with the cover fully rolled up.

rearincedent.jpg

IMG_20220510_172606042_HDR.jpg

KIMG0504.JPG
Yikes on the wind incident! Mine failed within 2 weeks but they made good and I've enjoyed it ever since.

BUT ... I LOVE the Ford logo on yours, that looks fantastic!!!

Urabus33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Xlt
Bought a Bakflip Mx4 from Factory Tonneau Outlet, they were extremely helpful, gave me a very competitive price, and were upfront about shipping delays and were a pleasure to deal with overall.

The MX4 has been problem free for the year I've had it for the most part, I had one bracket pop off due to poor installation on my part but otherwise no complaints. I have a drop in bedliner and that makes using a tonneau tricky with the clamp style brackets

RangerPNW

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
I got my truck with the bakflip on it from the factory (the Ford branded one), and it works quite nicely. Keeps water out reasonably well, never given me any issues. That being said I'm not a fan overall of tonneau covers so i'll be swapping to a canopy at some point, but the bakflip has served me well so far.

mustang marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger stx sabertooth , 04 stang ragtop 40th anvrs. , 66 stang fastback 2 plus 2
Occupation
A happy retired guy
I got my truck with the bakflip on it from the factory (the Ford branded one), and it works quite nicely. Keeps water out reasonably well, never given me any issues. That being said I'm not a fan overall of tonneau covers so i'll be swapping to a canopy at some point, but the bakflip has served me well so far.
Same here been great .

Deleted member 15875

Rhinoliner spray in liner( no fade and in excellent condition 3 1/2 years after installation ?) bed rug and Con Agra trifold aluminum bed cover. Water proof, flush to bed rails and theft resistant. Had this done when I first bought the truck and would do the exact same again.
Wondering what the cost is for the Spray in liner and what's the process like? Can you wait for it or need to leave your truck? Can you share some images? I'm really leaning in this direction. Looks like there's 3 shops in my area - one kinda close, but the other 2 are a bit of a drive. They also do the folding out door I assume?

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
I paid 600 dollars. Made an apointment with installer and it took about 3 hours. Lifetime warranty. When first posted here about getting Rhinoliner I was flamed and called out how terrible they are but going on 4 years now mines in perfect shape. Line X is another brand well reputed.
1664530504906.png

Deleted member 15875

I paid 600 dollars. Made an apointment with installer and it took about 3 hours. Lifetime warranty. When first posted here about getting Rhinoliner I was flamed and called out how terrible they are but going on 4 years now mines in perfect shape. Line X is another brand well reputed.
1664530504906.png
Nice...thanks for the 411. Looks good. From what I have gathered, it all comes down to how well the installer knows their craft so I guess it's quite possible to have something that comes out less than stellar, but glad to hear you are going on 4 years. Certainly encouraging to hear. It sounds like it's next to impossible to un-stall should you ever have or want to downstream?

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
I also have a bed rug and a hard folding top which I do remove when haul stuff in the bed. Just spent 4 days moving all kind of nasty ourside stuff and not a scratch to the liner.
You are correct about its up to the installer. I originally had an appointment with the local line x but there shop was a mess and was not comfortable with the staff. The Rhino Liner installer was awesome, they even offered to let me borrow his Escalade.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I'll throw in my experience with my Extang Tri-fold soft cover. You can fold it to have only one section down behind the cab and secure it in place for drivability. With two easy wingnuts you can take it completely off. It's not very heavy. When you fold it down it secures with two spring-loaded latches by the tailgate, super simple. It is water proof. It looks great. I also like the fact that it adds height like an inch or two to be able to completely store something that is slightly higher than the bed.

reidmefirst

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Computer stuff
Bought my Ranger used and it had the Ford hard tonneau cover on it already. From reading this thread, I guess it's the X4S? Just has the ford logo on it that is exposed when it is rolled up.

It's a nice cover. During rainstorms a little water can leak in the corners by the tailgate, but it's not much and falls right out of the bed. The latching mechanism keeps it locked when the tailgate is shut, but with little hands you can reach in and pull the ropes that unlatch it. So I wouldn't depend upon the latches for real security.

Might get a cap for the truck eventually, we'll see. Having the hard tonneau is good enough for now.
Sponsored