#fakenews: DIYers Take Note – the 2019 Ford Ranger’s Oil Change Procedure Contains a Big Extra Step

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Does anybody know the oil change intervals? If it's every 10K miles this is less of a headache.
From the Owner's Manual:
Your vehicle is equipped with the Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor system, which displays a message in the information display at the proper oil change interval. This interval may be up to one year or 10,000 mi (16,000 km).
Sponsored

OP
OP
rangerdanger

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
From the Owner's Manual:

Your vehicle is equipped with the Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor system, which displays a message in the information display at the proper oil change interval. This interval may be up to one year or 10,000 mi (16,000 km).
That's what confused me. "May be up to 1 year or 10K mi" makes me think it might not last 10K miles. It would be nice to be given an exact number and not an estimate.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
That's what confused me. "May be up to 1 year or 10K mi" makes me think it might not last 10K miles. It would be nice to be given an exact number and not an estimate.
It will vary based on driving conditions. Several of my recent vehicles have had it - I kind of like it. You used to have a "normal" change period and a "rough service" change period (or something similarly named). Now you just let the computer tell you when it is time. Our C-Max has the same thing and it has been going 10k between changes.

RiverRojo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mercury Milan 1992 Dodge Dakota 4x4

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Reconsidered, the oil change doesn’t suck after all, 10k intervals and do a tire rotation while draining.

What does suck is changing a headlight bulb on the Colorado or Canyon. I hear the bumper has to be removed to do so.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
Ill be running amsoil for the added protection while tuned and the longer oil drain interval. In all honesty if you are getting the socket set out to change oil you will most likely own a jack and other tools to do the change.

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
Just changed the oil and rotated the tires on my 06 Ranger. Took me longer to figure out where my son left my jack stands than the actual service. I'm 69 and it's no big deal.

mURmECH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, 2019 Ranger
The 820 and 500 are interchangable if space allows
The 910 and 400 are interchangable if space allows.

It does look like from the naked eye that it will fit, I have two extra in stock so when I do my first oil change I will report back unless someone beats me to it, I plan on doing one after 2-3k miles. By the time you've rotated tires and took all the debris out your oil will be fully drained. I will take my time on the first one on a lift.

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I run 400 vs 910 on all my vehicles. This adds about 1/2quart, which usually rounds off my vehicles to a whole quart count.

Maybe go to a good old FL1A which will probably bring the ranger to a full quart level...

Which would mean there are already relocation kits available...because a FL1A is a old V8 filter (my 4.0 explorer uses it too) so it should be a easy $50 summit racing part fix:thumbsup:

pannwfn

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 fx4 level II
Ren they pressurize filled the oil system. I think that they do this on all new cars now. As to our Aussie friend your trying to compare apples to water melons. We ain't diesels, at least not yet.

Mires

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra

JoshE

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
I'm sure there will be a way to do it without removing the wheel. We'll figure it out. Beats driving a Tacoma or Colorado :D
I haven't drove a Ranger yet, so I don't know, but based on the reviews, I'm convinced on the part of the driving position at least. I enjoyed my 2016 Tacoma Off-Road manual transmission, except for the driving position, I never could get comfortable behind the wheel. In comparing a manual transmission Tacoma to the automatic Ranger, I believe based on reviews out there that the Tacoma will outperform in most instances of real world performance seeing in TFL's reviews how close the (terrible) automatic Tacoma is to the Ranger in towing up and down the Ike Gauntlet, 0-60/drag race at elevation, off-road performance. The manual transmission version of the Tacoma has a shorter 1st gear and 4.30 rear end, plus being able to keep it in the power band creates a totally different experience from the automatic version of the truck. I'm looking forward to driving the Ranger to find out. I prefer the exterior look of the Ranger, and the interior look of the Tacoma. I like what Ford did with the underbody of the Ranger particularly with the FX4, much better than the Tacoma. In addition to seeing the oil change process, the fact that you lose the bed side storage of the Tacoma (I used it a lot for straps) and the flat folding rear seats (I used weekly for my dog crate), and no manual transmission are also tough tradeoffs between the two. I'll probably wait to make a purchase to see if Toyota does a major update to the Tacoma for 2020 and if Ford addresses some quirks (maybe adds a manual too) for 2020.

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2...l-change-procedure-contains-a-big-extra-step/

This is ridiculous. Need to remove the left wheel, open a compartment, and remove a shield just to get to the oil filter. This makes it a real hard sell for me.
It is pretty ridiculous - poor engineering, IMO. The two thoughts that make it easier for me:
  1. Just do a tire rotation at oil change time - I'm always terrible about rotating tires - maybe this will help me.
  2. If it is THAT bad, install an oil filter relocation kit to put the filter in an easy to get to spot. The only question here is - IS there a spot available to relocate it to?

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Look, honestly there are very few people that diy maintenance there car anymore, unless your a enthusiast. I know very, very few people who change there on oil, especially on a brand new car. However...I do live in yuppyville.:crazy:

The dealership wants you to go to them for maintenance, and they're making it more difficult for you to do it at home.
Sponsored