#fakenews: DIYers Take Note – the 2019 Ford Ranger’s Oil Change Procedure Contains a Big Extra Step

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
That's very true. Trucks are a huge part of our daily maintenance. A skid plate is the only obstacle on our Toyotas. But most if not nearly all come in for oil change.
But with that being said, Toyota gives free 24month or 24K mile maintenance plus roadside assist.

I'd like to add to this post what I've noticed about Ford. As a young lad starting out with foreign vehicle mechanics in the early 80's till now, it was so easy to identify domestic vs Japanese. It was night and day difference.
But this Ford Ranger, and it's global cousins, is identical to me as far as materials and build quality. Call it copy cat design if you will, but my hat's off to Ford and the UAW.
Sponsored

Last edited:

pannwfn

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 fx4 level II
I have a idea take it to Ford have them change oil and rotate tires keep all your records and when they come out with the Ranger Raptor (you know that they will) you'll get top dollar for your trade in. Problem solved.

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
I have a idea take it to Ford have them change oil and rotate tires keep all your records and when they come out with the Ranger Raptor (you know that they will) you'll get top dollar for your trade in. Problem solved.
The Ford dealer I use is 39.95 for an oil change and tire rotation. I don't see it as much of an issue.

Airwelldone

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion Sport: 2017 Fiesta ST
The Ford dealer I use is 39.95 for an oil change and tire rotation. I don't see it as much of an issue.
Me too with my Fusion Sport (not with teh FiST, cause it's sooo easy and fast) but read the small print. That includes up to 5 quarts of oil, not the Rangers 6.2. So it would likely be $50-$60. Still not terrible, but not great for crap synthetic blend Motocraft oil.

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
As much as I hate to we take it to the dealer.

My issue is time... it's a pain to take it to the dealership and waste my time. If they gave me a loner everytime I'd be fine.

In the time I go over there and back I can just change the oil myself.

mURmECH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, 2019 Ranger
Get it from Walmart. Much cheaper and they stock the Motorcraft oil and filters.
Thanks Stic-o, I will be visiting Autozone within the next two weeks to get my oil and filter, I'm glad you posted the prices, not bad, I was actually going to buy my oil from E-bay until I saw this. It will be fun taking off that wheel and plastic tabs to find this filter and and drain plug. Hopefully the dipstick is easier to read than the 17 5.0 Mustangs.

dano0726

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Wrangler
Another issue (at least in my mind) is commercial fleet servicing...we (my employer) currently perform routine maintenance on our F-150's here in the yard -- there's no taking-off-the-left-front-wheel requirement for changing the oil...

Field vehicles (specifically assigned to jobsites) have a maintenance service swing by periodically -- I doubt the service has yet to encounter a 2.3L EcoBoost...

tugger

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019 Super Crew Latiat Lightning Blue FX4
Occupation
Register Nurse Emergency Room
Is it true about the difficulty of changing the oil filter and draining the oil on the new ranger?

One Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
family fleet of 4
OP
OP
rangerdanger

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
This might be Ford trying to salvage what on the surface could well discourage fleet sales. Remove 3 fasteners and "peel back" the cover. That doesn't sound very easy either, trying to remove a horizontally mounted oil filter full of oil off it's mount and back thru an opening that is trying to close on you. All while working between the wheel and wheelwell. I've experience with all of this, sans the peel back of a cover, with oil changes on my Miata. Hard wheel lock to the left, reach up behind the right wheel and up to the oil filter. I'd bet that Ford re-engineers something here mid-year to make it much easier to perform.
Sponsored