#fakenews: DIYers Take Note – the 2019 Ford Ranger’s Oil Change Procedure Contains a Big Extra Step

Stumblios

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ranger FX4 LVL II
So this is the panel they are talking about, it looks super easy to remove and get at. I would also argue that since it so tiny that if you really have an issue with it you could remove it permanently and the only result would be dirt build up on the underside of the engine. This seems like a not problem to me.

IMG_20190110_165943.jpg
Sponsored

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Or....maybe remove the 3 fasteners, and use 4 neodymium / rare earth magnets-- put one where the forward most fastener is and one in between the 2 rear most fasteners, then re-position the flap and use the other 2 magnets to hold it in place. Easy removal next time and the magnets will hold the flap out of your way when your changing the oil. I guess it will depend on how much air moves through there to see if that would hold it in place. Maybe use some Goop to secure the outer magnets.

pannwfn

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 fx4 level II
Hi Ren how are you. You sure do get around. Has anyone ever crawled up under the truck and looked yet?? Yeh I know insomnia and a bad case of OCD have it too.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
With the wheel turned pointing to the right/passenger’s side, it’s easy to access the panel.

25D7B74D-9423-45A1-80B2-8A2CCF928CB1.jpeg
Wonder how much of a pain those "screws" (I know they aren't real screws) are to get out? I hate those plastic clips.

Other than the flap, and the fact it is behind the wheel instead of in front of it, this is very similar to my 2004 Honda Accord. I actually like it - a lot easier than crawling under the vehicle to unscrew the oil filter.

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Wonder how much of a pain those "screws" (I know they aren't real screws) are to get out? I hate those plastic clips.

Other than the flap, and the fact it is behind the wheel instead of in front of it, this is very similar to my 2004 Honda Accord. I actually like it - a lot easier than crawling under the vehicle to unscrew the oil filter.
I don't think anyone just crawls under a Accord. This is best part of owning a truck. Easy access, no ramps or jack's needed

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think anyone just crawls under a Accord. This is best part of owning a truck. Easy access, no ramps or jack's needed
No, you don't crawl under the Accord without a jack and stands - but at least you only have to do the drain plug on it, not the drain plug and then hunt around for the filter. I guess I worded it poorly. It is nice on the truck not to have to have a jack - just slide under it and undo the drain plug. My point was that getting to the oil filter from behind the wheel is kind of nice. I think it is easier than trying to do it from under the vehicle (whatever it is).

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I'm actually more worried what going to happen when you lossen the filter and oil pours out? What is it going to get all over?

Both a '05 f150 5.4 and a '99 Explorer SOHC had drain plugs that when you removed the oil flow hit suspension parts and created a tired fountain. What a mess.

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't seem to bother engineers, my 06 Ranger 3.0 drains onto the starter. So I"m used to "clean up on isle 1"......

OP
OP
rangerdanger

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I'm actually more worried what going to happen when you lossen the filter and oil pours out? What is it going to get all over?

Both a '05 f150 5.4 and a '99 Explorer SOHC had drain plugs that when you removed the oil flow hit suspension parts and created a tired fountain. What a mess.
Supposedly there’s a little funnel to catch the oil from removing the filter. Haven’t seen it though.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Supposedly there’s a little funnel to catch the oil from removing the filter. Haven’t seen it though.
Hopefully it isn't an expensive "specialty tool" available from Ford for some ridiculous amount. Would love to see it if anyone finds a picture.

OP
OP
rangerdanger

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully it isn't an expensive "specialty tool" available from Ford for some ridiculous amount. Would love to see it if anyone finds a picture.
I believe it’s attached to the engine directly?

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I make lots of "specialty tools" for those sorts of things using my handy razor knife and empty 2 liter pop bottles.

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
Try a disposable diaper. They absorb quite a bit. I use one when changing the oil and removing the horizontally mounted filter on the Miata. Keeps the suspension and frame clean.
Sponsored