First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat, 2003 XLT Ford Ranger
Occupation
Beekeeper
Has anyone changed the oil on their Ranger themselves? I watched a YouTube video and he was pulling off skid plates and plastics to get into things like the drain plug and filter.

Is that really required or is there a different method you used?

Thanks!
Sponsored

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Do all my oil changes myself. On the 4x4, the factory skid plate needs to be removed to access the drain plug, but it's just 4 bolts and it pops right out. Some folks have added a fumoto valve or similar to avoid this step. The filter is accessed through the driver-side wheel well, and requires removing some of the pins holding the flap in place behind the wheel. This is a little annoying, but quick and not difficult. Contrary to some early reports, removing the wheel is completely unnecessary.

OP
OP
SeattleRanger

SeattleRanger

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Beekeeper
Do all my oil changes myself. On the 4x4, the factory skid plate needs to be removed to access the drain plug, but it's just 4 bolts and it pops right out. Some folks have added a fumoto valve or similar to avoid this step. The filter is accessed through the driver-side wheel well, and requires removing some of the pins holding the flap in place behind the wheel. This is a little annoying, but quick and not difficult. Contrary to some early reports, removing the wheel is completely unnecessary.
Ok, great! Thanks for the confirmation. I have no problem doing all that, I just didn't want to attempt if there was a better way (like not removing a tire).

I appreciate the response

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Done one change already (my first) and coming up on another change within weeks. I went with Fumoto drain valve install during first change. So from this point on just attach drain hose and open the valve. No more skid plate removal or skinned knuckles

What Joe said, no need to remove wheel for access to filter. Just cock steering all the way to make getting in to it easier.

Now the fun part. Some on here including me found the factory seating of filter was excessive. Took a cup socket on end of filter with some serious muscle to get it off. So have the right tools for this reason. Otherwise it’s as easy as it gets!

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Ok, great! Thanks for the confirmation. I have no problem doing all that, I just didn't want to attempt if there was a better way (like not removing a tire).

I appreciate the response
Just change mine for the fourth time yesterday, 20K. I have a Valvomax drain valve, no removing skid plate, no jacking up truck, no drips on driveway. Yes the flap in the wheel well is the biggest pain. Going to get different retainers that are easier to remove. Also get yourself an over end expandable filter wrench and a long extention to remove the filter, cheap at Harbor Freight. Oh and don't forget to move your catch pan over behind the front wheel to catch the oil from the filter.

Have fun, after putting the valve on the first time it's a peice of cake.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Is this https://tinyurl.com/yhq4q5um the valve you are talking about? The "Quick Twist Valve with Stainless Drain Tube Knob".
That's the one. I like how it uses a check valve type of shut off instead of a ball valve and lever setup like the Fumoto. Being stainless and US made doesn't hurt either.

OP
OP
SeattleRanger

SeattleRanger

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Beekeeper
That's the one. I like how it uses a check valve type of shut off instead of a ball valve and lever setup like the Fumoto. Being stainless and US made doesn't hurt either.
Awesome, thanks. Ordering today!

gasmanjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 XLT FX4, '19 Beetle Final Edition
Occupation
Gas leak inspector
Oh and don't forget to move your catch pan over behind the front wheel to catch the oil from the filter.
Make sure you're on level ground too, or else the filter will drain right onto the front axle and go everywhere. Front wheels on ramps= bad idea.

OP
OP
SeattleRanger

SeattleRanger

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Beekeeper
Make sure you're on level ground too, or else the filter will drain right onto the front axle and go everywhere. Front wheels on ramps= bad idea.
Thanks man. Good to know as I’d planned on ramps but won’t do that.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
the fumoto valve with the nipple to attach a hose to. I just tuck it above the skid plate, then point it into a disposal jug when draining. I had a hard time getting the filter off too an ended up buying one of these. It's handy because not all filters are the right diameter for the end cap wrenches. I've used a wix and a moble one filter on my truck an all were different.

filter wrench.jpg

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
They’re the same diameter filter. It’s the number of flats on them that’s different. 14 flats at 73 mm is fomoco filter and mobile 1. 15 flats at 73 mm is wix. Yup I got both sizes now! That was a head scratcher for sure!

Oh, I did mine on ramps for what it’s worth first change and no issues or mess.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
That 3 jaw filter wrench is a life saver for Harley filters. I bought the HD tool but it only works on actual HD filters. I have used wix an a few other that make long life motorcycle filters. It works well for reaching straight in like you have to on the ranger. My friends have borrowed it too. I've gotten my 6 bucks worth out of it.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
The Fumoto # is F-137N. Been using their stuff for years.
I do like the Valvo Max, but the Fumoto is self contained...you don't need the separate attachment.
Bottom line is there both good products and make changing oil super easy.
Sponsored