22 months totally dead battery

21rangerCactus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Self employed
One of the more common complaints across manufacturers is the battery and its not a recent complaint either.
1994 fbody, 2006 honda civic, and a 2005 GTO... The battery in all three would last me 3 years max.. Some only lasted 2 years. It was the same if I used auto zone, orielly or advance auto.

When I ran a bread route my step van didn't have any issues with the battery... The only electronics it has was whatever was needed for engine/trans management. Didnt even have AC.
Sponsored

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Agree with the many variables and I've had good luck with batteries from Rural King (Exide) and they are cheap compared to others.
As @Msfitoy said, driving them is a good way to keep them alive. I know my Ranger sat undriven for a week or so at times and with the constant drain from all the electronics it probably contributed to the weakend battery. It always started and I wouldn't have replace it myself until it's dead but since it's under warranty, may as well get it replaced.
Hoping the battery monitor sensor helps resolve the issue long term.
As to exide my experience from yrs ago with their batteries was not good - however I seem to recall they went chapter 11 some yrs back and perhaps they are making better batteries these days. I know consumer reports rates batteries and IIRC they thought Wally Mart batts were pretty good, which is good enough for me because for all those who swear they had good results with the high priced batteries there are those who had a less than satisfactory experience. I wonder how much battery prices have risen with respect to inflation, but don't necessarily want to find out by having a battery failure.

moorejl57

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4, 501A, fully damped
Occupation
Engineer
Did anyone use their 42000 points to buy a jump start pack from ford accessories? I am looking at: jump start pack

I am a low mileage guy who does a lot of short trips, so now I am worrying about my battery, having my spark plugs seizing from water intrusion, my rear leaf springs bending and probably a few other things I have forgotten about.

I was going to make a joke about the tailgate slamming down and the resulting shockwave damaging the battery, but I resisted :)

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Did anyone use their 42000 points to buy a jump start pack from ford accessories? I am looking at: jump start pack

I am a low mileage guy who does a lot of short trips, so now I am worrying about my battery, having my spark plugs seizing from water intrusion, my rear leaf springs bending and probably a few other things I have forgotten about.

I was going to make a joke about the tailgate slamming down and the resulting shockwave damaging the battery, but I resisted :)
Used my points for the swing box. So far I still have the OEM battery on my 2019. I do mostly short trips and throw in a few 100 + mile trips.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

If you're a "low mileage guy" you're better off using your points on a battery maintainer. I'm the same where as I don't drive many miles during the week and when I do they're short trips. I have mine plugged in all the time to keep the battery fully charged.

https://accessories.ford.com/produc...-smart-battery-charger-maintainer#2019/Ranger

moorejl57

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4, 501A, fully damped
Occupation
Engineer

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
OK, thanks for your advice, I will look into it.
I do carry a jumper pack and luckily haven't had to use it yet as the battery stays nice and charged from the maintainer. I bought this one because it had great reviews and a good temperature rating of -40 to +149 degrees. I paid $79 for mine and the price always fluctuates and with Black Friday coming up I'm sure they'll be on sale then.

https://www.audew.com/Audew-2000A-P...-Engines-with-LCD-Power-Display-p-100058.html

seanellaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab Fx4
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
I just had my first failure at 28k miles and 22 months old. Truck started fine . I then drove my truck on a 35 mile one way trip on the highway at 70 mph . We got out to sight see for 45 minutes, came back, tried to start the truck and the truck was completely dead. I was pixxed . Luckily we found someone with jumper cables. After several start attempts and about 8 minutes total charging time it finally started with a jump . My Pioneer OBD gage said 13.9 charging vdc. I hightailed it home and made it no issues. $260 later 760 amp AGM battery was in and I was back up - no issues. I have NEVER had a brand new automobile battery die at only 22 months . Do Ford batteries suck ? I am in Florida btw (so no cold issues) .
My Battery was ded a week ago from not driving. I ignored the notice in my Ford Pass App when the Ranger went into "deep sleep" mode. I guess that means coma before death. I had to put it on a dumb 2 amp charger all night before a smart charger would even believe it was chargeable. I have left it on a the 1.5 amp smart charger since and no problemas. I carry jumper cables and an extra 220 CCA AGM Deep Cycle battery which I keep fully charged while seeing if it is time to buy a new battery (it is from my overlanding trailer). I found an H7 850 CCA AGM Interstate battery w/ 3yr replacement warranty @ Costco which is going in when current battery does pass on to the great recycling center beyond. Thought about the Optima but with same warranty and almost 2x the price, not any time soon.

Deleted member 15875

I put windows on my Macbook Pro as a duel boot just for the few MS programs I need. (programming for my solar controller and HAM radios as well as the Xmas light computers.)
Parallels?

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
Parallels?
Boot Camp, I did not want windows running inside MACOS, would rather dual boot from a partion. Less issues, can use full memory and all of the Mac's resources. Boots into Win10 from the Option Manager (option key at startup).

Deleted member 15875

Boot Camp, I did not want windows running inside MACOS, would rather dual boot from a partion. Less issues, can use full memory and all of the Mac's resources. Boots into Win10 from the Option Manager (option key at startup).
I've used Parelles a bit. Pretty slick to save and use files from different OS's I've found and some other things I prefer MacOS for.

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
Battery replaced under warranty in December of 2021. In forscan, changed charge setting from 75% to 95%. Time will tell if the change helps.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I haven't contemplated modern auto battery replacement. Wife and I just bought our first brand new cars since the 80's - nothing but used until 2019 - and I've always replaced batteries with the highest amp version.

Is AGM bad or good? I don't think weight is going to be a big factor and I can switch the charging % in FORSCAN. Turned off ASS before 500 miles on my truck, a couple months past 3 years and approaching 30K miles.

Figuring the stock battery is the 'good enough' version and with the charging software I didn't think of till now, what should an 'average' truck driver be looking for in a replacement?

Husky44

First Name
Domenic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger 2014 F150 Raptor
Occupation
Retired
I replaced my 2021's battery within a month with an Oddesy battery, same with my wife's new Rav4. Military spec batteries and the best.
My old 7.3 Diesel the Oddesy's were 11-years old and still 100% when I sold the truck.
Sponsored