First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX4 Splash
Occupation
Retired - Air Cargo Industry
Went to run an errand this morning and jumped in the truck as usual and nothing! No chime, no instrument panel, no infotainment screen, etc.

This is a 2022 Ranger XLT with just over 5,600 miles on it. The truck was built in Feb 2022 so it's barely more than a year and a half old.

I put a battery charger on it which indicated thew battery was at 5.5V. I left it on the charger while taking care of my errand in my wife's car. When I returned, the battery was at 6V and it had been charging for about 45 minutes. I noticed the tail lights and side marker lights were on and would not go off. I disconnected that battery completely and as soon as I put it back, the tail lights came on again. I'm going to assume that's what drained the battery in the first place.

I've since disconnected the battery again and put it on the charger. I'll see if I can get it up to 12+ volts and hope for the best.

Anyone know why the tail lights would be on constantly like that? The truck stays in the garage but I turned the light switch to off from automatic.
Sponsored

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I was under the assumption that the BCM would turn things off before it would drain that low , but i guess not ...
It should have, yes
So was it a fluke or wiring and or switch keeping them on, will have to see what a full charge will bring for him as the lights might be triggered on by the alarm system and or low voltage into the BCM.

DanielPierre

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Went to run an errand this morning and jumped in the truck as usual and nothing! No chime, no instrument panel, no infotainment screen, etc.

This is a 2022 Ranger XLT with just over 5,600 miles on it. The truck was built in Feb 2022 so it's barely more than a year and a half old.

I put a battery charger on it which indicated thew battery was at 5.5V. I left it on the charger while taking care of my errand in my wife's car. When I returned, the battery was at 6V and it had been charging for about 45 minutes. I noticed the tail lights and side marker lights were on and would not go off. I disconnected that battery completely and as soon as I put it back, the tail lights came on again. I'm going to assume that's what drained the battery in the first place.

I've since disconnected the battery again and put it on the charger. I'll see if I can get it up to 12+ volts and hope for the best.

Anyone know why the tail lights would be on constantly like that? The truck stays in the garage but I turned the light switch to off from automatic.
First thing I would have done after finding out about the tail & brake lights not turning off, is locate the fuse for that circuit, and removed it. Fully charging a battery that is down that low may take 12 - 18 hrs. Just saying. I have a 2020 XLT and I know something is draining the battery since the engine shut off feature when standing at a red light, has not worked for months. One feature I did turn off is the auto Firmware Update. When ON, your onboard computer will constantly search for WiFi signal when driving and when parked and engine turned off. The default setting is ON!

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
Since this thread's about a dead battery and charging from a low voltage, maybe one of you experts (and I'm being sincere, the stuff some of you know is mind boggling but tremendously interesting to read) can educate me on modern electrical systems.

I have a CTEK battery tender I run a few times a month and let it go overnight to do it's thing. I also carry a jump pack, just in case. From what I know, these are safe to use.

But ... if I were ever in a situation where the battery went dead, can an old school 10 amp charger still be used or is that asking for trouble?

I still have this "vintage" one that works and I've used on my FJ40 for 40+ years.

1696691260919.png

The Last Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Since this thread's about a dead battery and charging from a low voltage, maybe one of you experts (and I'm being sincere, the stuff some of you know is mind boggling but tremendously interesting to read) can educate me on modern electrical systems.

I have a CTEK battery tender I run a few times a month and let it go overnight to do it's thing. I also carry a jump pack, just in case. From what I know, these are safe to use.

But ... if I were ever in a situation where the battery went dead, can an old school 10 amp charger still be used or is that asking for trouble?

I still have this "vintage" one that works and I've used on my FJ40 for 40+ years.

1696691260919.png
Funny, I have this same charger and use it on non-agm batteries. I have a NOCO GENIUS 10 10A
charger I leave on my 21 Ranger all the time as my Ranger sits alot.

OP
OP
FusedLogic

FusedLogic

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX4 Splash
Occupation
Retired - Air Cargo Industry
First thing I would have done after finding out about the tail & brake lights not turning off, is locate the fuse for that circuit, and removed it. Fully charging a battery that is down that low may take 12 - 18 hrs. Just saying. I have a 2020 XLT and I know something is draining the battery since the engine shut off feature when standing at a red light, has not worked for months. One feature I did turn off is the auto Firmware Update. When ON, your onboard computer will constantly search for WiFi signal when driving and when parked and engine turned off. The default setting is ON!
Let's hope the dealership can figure it out. I've called on it a couple of times but can't get anyone to talk to me. It's Saturday and I'm sure they're slammed with walk-in (drive-in?) customers. I might have to go camp out there on Monday.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
on the subject of batteries - has anyone ordered a car batt from Amazon, they have an AC Delco 850 CCA for $169 and it doesn't show any core charge, free ship to Prime members. I could the old battery if I can keep it.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
For AGM battery charging it is required to use a Charger with AGM charging switch or limiter (charge voltage)

Ref attached GSB from Ford about charging the AGM battery.
and pay attention to this Note:

NOTE: AGM batteries must be charged by a charger with a dedicated AGM mode with a maximum permissible voltage of 14.6 volt at room temperature.

Attachments

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Got an alert on my Ford app yesterday and today that my 2021 ranger was shutting off remote features to conserve battery. I went to use the keyless remote and it worked. Got to checking and it seems to be stuck in a loop trying to check for and download an update. Wonder if Ford outsourced the software updates to the same group that is wreaking havoc in the Colorado and Canyon?

MarioCart

Banned
Banned
First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Employed
sitting as much as yours has, evident with the low miles, I would be worried about rodents gnawing at some wiring. Not sure if you have corrosion issues or not.
I sometimes think sitting cars are their own worst enemy. Think of them the same as your jimmy johnson, use it or lose it.

Jmarler

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger
Occupation
Certified Hacker. Retired Veteran
Looks like my battery is kicking rocks too. Tried to start this morning, not enough juice to crank it. Jump started it with a power pack. Drove it to get lunch. Later when I got dinner it did the same thing. Drove for like an hour. When I got home and turned it off. I decided to check and it failed to start.

Ive noticed my auto start stop hasn't been working for the past month, so i definitely think the battery is done. Taking it to dealer monday.
Sponsored