Dead battery

OWSportninja

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport SuperCrew 2wd
It's something to do with Ford AGM batteries. I see them go bad all the time at work and its not just the ones in the Ranger. They have been on backorder for months too. Im about a year and half in and 20k miles and the only time I have had an issue is this past week during the Texas snowpacalypse i got a message saying remote start features were disabled due to low battery ( it was 0 degrees with -15 wind chill that morning. Truck was sluggish to start but still busted off and havent had an issue since.
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
It's something to do with Ford AGM batteries. I see them go bad all the time at work and its not just the ones in the Ranger. They have been on backorder for months too. Im about a year and half in and 20k miles and the only time I have had an issue is this past week during the Texas snowpacalypse i got a message saying remote start features were disabled due to low battery ( it was 0 degrees with -15 wind chill that morning. Truck was sluggish to start but still busted off and havent had an issue since.
When you get a replacement, turn up the charging voltage using Forscan. 12.0V target is far too low for almost any chemistry.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
When you get a replacement, turn up the charging voltage using Forscan. 12.0V target is far too low for almost any chemistry.
Why would Ford deliberately sabatoge their charging system? If so, you're stating know more about charging chemistry that Ford's engineering department. Explain your theory.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Why would Ford deliberately sabatoge their charging system? If so, you're stating know more about charging chemistry that Ford's engineering department. Explain your theory.
I'm making my statement based on my experience as a ham radio operator (I use batteries a lot for high demand situations, and there are a few things that they really really hate), as well as the fact that every single battery charger ever made charges between 13.8 and 14.4v. Ford did this to save something, but I'm not entirely sure it was your battery, or your money. (My best guess is to get you to buy a 300$ battery just after the 3x36K expires, but generally not before in most cases)

12-12.2v is good for storage, but it's not "hot" enough to keep the plates (or glass mats in this case) from growing sulfides and ceasing to work entirely. Just about every battery (of the lead/acid variety) will gain significant life if it's charged until slightly warm at around 15V once or twice a year, and kept above 10.9v under normal idle conditions.

Also keep in mind that I've got several batteries in my fleet that have stickers on them from 10 years ago, all still going strong even in the dead of winter.

Wings06j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Anyone know the CCA of the stock battery? I went to get it tested at an auto parts store and they had two different battery options for the 2019 ranger. Couldn't find CCA on the battery. Photo below.

20221122_131119.jpg

Bsthroop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Broadband/ Microwave Engineer
Anyone know the CCA of the stock battery? I went to get it tested at an auto parts store and they had two different battery options for the 2019 ranger. Couldn't find CCA on the battery. Photo below.

20221122_131119.jpg
Just replaced mine and they should be 760 or 800, the higher capacity is for the Lariat, would advise getting that one. Yours is showing as the 760.

Wings06j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Will the lariat battery fit and work in the xlt? I'm assuming it would. Always a fan of having a larger battery if I can, especially knowing it doesn't get charged to 100%

Bsthroop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Broadband/ Microwave Engineer
Will the lariat battery fit and work in the xlt? I'm assuming it would. Always a fan of having a larger battery if I can, especially knowing it doesn't get charged to 100%
Yes what I have seen the H6 and H7 are the same size. You will see different cca ratings on different brands Motorcraft generally being lower.

MagnetiK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
F the Ford battery and dealing with the dealership. I called aaa and got an Interstate battery installed at my work for $220. When my shift was over driving home, the damn auto start stop thing started working again!
Sponsored