First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger
Occupation
Certified Hacker. Retired Veteran
Just realized i fall under the extended warranty now. I'm at 38k miles. My ranger is 2021
Sponsored

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
Since this thread's about a dead battery and charging from a low voltage, maybe one of you experts (and I'm being sincere, the stuff some of you know is mind boggling but tremendously interesting to read) can educate me on modern electrical systems.

I have a CTEK battery tender I run a few times a month and let it go overnight to do it's thing. I also carry a jump pack, just in case. From what I know, these are safe to use.

But ... if I were ever in a situation where the battery went dead, can an old school 10 amp charger still be used or is that asking for trouble?

I still have this "vintage" one that works and I've used on my FJ40 for 40+ years.

1696691260919.png
I've got two of those, except mine have 12 hour mechanical timers! One I purchased way back for me and another for my now deceased father - Both still work great! I've several smart chargers but sometimes you need raw brute force.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NOTE: AGM batteries must be charged by a charger with a dedicated AGM mode with a maximum permissible voltage of 14.6 volt at room temperature.
And yet Ford ASS/BMS and regenerative charging exceeds that 14.6V charge limit all the time. And owners wonder why their battery life is so short.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Best thing I did for my battery was to permanently install a charger/maintainer and a hookup so I can just plug an extension cord into it to keep my battery happy.

I've got a 2019 still on the OG battery. That battery still checks out in excellent condition when I have it tested every time I bring it in for its service. And yet, the BMS will start turning stuff off after 2-3 weeks because even though I drive it every couple of days, I guess it's not sufficient to keep it topped up on its own.

The Last Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Best thing I did for my battery was to permanently install a charger/maintainer and a hookup so I can just plug an extension cord into it to keep my battery happy.

I've got a 2019 still on the OG battery. That battery still checks out in excellent condition when I have it tested every time I bring it in for its service. And yet, the BMS will start turning stuff off after 2-3 weeks because even though I drive it every couple of days, I guess it's not sufficient to keep it topped up on its own.
I'm betting us always charging guys won't have many battery issues because the Ford BMS system sees our batteries charged so the system doesn't need to charge heavily, thus protecting the battery from overcharging. Of course that depends on if you have a quality trickle charger . I have an AGP battery on my atv thats more than 10 yrs old and has been on a deltran charger from day one and is still going, its probably 12-13 yrs. can't remember exactly. I use a NOCO 10a on my Ranger.

OP
OP
FusedLogic

FusedLogic

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX4 Splash
Occupation
Retired - Air Cargo Industry
I picked the truck from the dealer yesterday afternoon. They said it started with no problem when they got to work on it in the morning. They monitored the voltage for a few hours and nothing changed. All seems to be fine.

I'm going to start it every day for the next few days even if I'm not going anywhere and just keep an eye on things. Also, I think it's time to invest in a Noco Jump pack.

OP
OP
FusedLogic

FusedLogic

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
One feature I did turn off is the auto Firmware Update. When ON, your onboard computer will constantly search for WiFi signal when driving and when parked and engine turned off. The default setting is ON!
Good point! I don't know how often it tries to connect but I have a weak signal in the garage so it might take long to check for updates. I'll probably turn that off.

OP
OP
FusedLogic

FusedLogic

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
sitting as much as yours has, evident with the low miles, I would be worried about rodents gnawing at some wiring. Not sure if you have corrosion issues or not.
I sometimes think sitting cars are their own worst enemy. Think of them the same as your jimmy johnson, use it or lose it.
It's possible and something I'll have to check. I live in the suburbs with lots of woods around me. Plenty of wildlife around. My backyard is a dear super-highway. Who knows what critters I have that I can't see.

Jmarler

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger
Occupation
I was told batteries were not covered on the extended warranties.
Yeah i noticed that last night. Im going to buy a battery from somewhere else.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Yeah i noticed that last night. Im going to buy a battery from somewhere else.
amazon prime AC Delco $169 , no core. Wally Mart Everstart $189

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
I think I am going to start battery shopping. Last several nights after leaving work, I have to be right next to the door for the remote to work. Replaced the battery in the fob and same result. When I get to work, the range is much better. Made it 2 1/2 years and 41k on the original battery.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm betting us always charging guys won't have many battery issues because the Ford BMS system sees our batteries charged so the system doesn't need to charge heavily, thus protecting the battery from overcharging. Of course that depends on if you have a quality trickle charger . I have an AGP battery on my atv thats more than 10 yrs old and has been on a deltran charger from day one and is still going, its probably 12-13 yrs. can't remember exactly. I use a NOCO 10a on my Ranger.
The Ford BMS system actually discharges your battery from 100% to 70%-75%, then starts to over voltage charge regeneratively. You are constantly fighting the BMS system.

Jmarler

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger
Occupation
I think I am going to start battery shopping. Last several nights after leaving work, I have to be right next to the door for the remote to work. Replaced the battery in the fob and same result. When I get to work, the range is much better. Made it 2 1/2 years and 41k on the original battery.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/944775111 this is the one im getting. Theres an h7 but when I looked at it, it looks bigger and im not sure if it would fit correctly.
Sponsored