Dead Battery

Osbornebad

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
Yesterday I pushed my fob as normal to start the vehicle and there was no response I attempted this twice as I got closer to the vehicle I could hear no response from the vehicle I used the key to enter the vehicle I inserted the key into the ignition and nothing happened it appeared to have a dead battery I popped the hood checked the battery post terminals to make sure the connections were tight and no response from the vehicle no power it was cold so I jumped into the vehicle I sat there for 20 minutes while waiting for someone to come give me a jump and when I exited the vehicle the alarm went off I thought that was rather unusual since the battery was dead I turned off the alarm with the fob close the hood push the fob in the vehicle started has anyone else experienced this problem with a 2019 Ford Ranger the vehicle since has been operating as it should.
On the drive home I did stop by and have a auto technician at a shop put a battery tester on the vehicle he did say the battery was in good condition and the alternator was charging as it should.
Sponsored

BGDOGY

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4 crew cab
Had a similar experience once. Came out from the store and nothing. Open and closed the door, then sat in the truck for about 10 minutes then it started right up. There have been other people here with the same Gremlin happening to them. It hasn't happened to me again in two years. Hopefully that will be your case too.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
I had a momentary no power situation, but it resolved after about a minute.

Went to unlock the truck, no love. Used the key.

Got in and put the key in the ignition to start, no love. No lights, no screen images, nada.

Tried to unlock with the electric door switch to unlock the tailgate to load groceries. Nada. Dead as dead can be.

Got out, closed the door, went to the tailgate and realized that I don't have a key lock back there.

Went back to the driver seat, put the key in again and the screen lit up and it started.

I have no idea why it did this. Maybe a computer reboot?

It's never happened since and, even though I have a battery jumper, I don't think it would have fired up.

Did you keep trying while you waited that 20 minutes? Was it just as dead as your first try?

Did you have to jump it or did it start after the alarm went off? If the latter, then it was some computer error and not the battery.

Let us know what you find out.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired

CAB

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Tremor 301A; 2021 Lincoln Nautilus
Occupation
Insurance Adjuster
Yesterday I pushed my fob as normal to start the vehicle and there was no response I attempted this twice as I got closer to the vehicle I could hear no response from the vehicle I used the key to enter the vehicle I inserted the key into the ignition and nothing happened it appeared to have a dead battery I popped the hood checked the battery post terminals to make sure the connections were tight and no response from the vehicle no power it was cold so I jumped into the vehicle I sat there for 20 minutes while waiting for someone to come give me a jump and when I exited the vehicle the alarm went off I thought that was rather unusual since the battery was dead I turned off the alarm with the fob close the hood push the fob in the vehicle started has anyone else experienced this problem with a 2019 Ford Ranger the vehicle since has been operating as it should.
On the drive home I did stop by and have a auto technician at a shop put a battery tester on the vehicle he did say the battery was in good condition and the alternator was charging as it should.
Happened to me within 45 days of new. No response at all. Had remove and reinstall battery cables and it started immediately. Has not occurred again.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I’m starting to wonder if this is caused by SYNC updates and when it decides to write. We’re any or all of you on automatic updates?

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/truck-wouldn’t-start.9677/#post-179027

Based on others having this same thing happen ^^^^ I carry a 10 mm wrench in my console.

If this happens, pop the hood, take the wrench and unhook the negative battery cable. Wait a couple minutes then hook it back up.

It's like rebooting your laptop computer when it does stupid shit... so to say.

1683646453225.png
Same here. Came to my truck once, completely dead. Check battery voltage and it was perfect. Disconnected the negative for 2 minutes, reconnected and she came back to life. Ever since then I carry a 10mm in my truck.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
probably not a SYNC issue, as that is mostly just infotainment. It sounds more like something with the PATS not recognizing the keys and disabling the system to avoid theft.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
This is one of the Ranger - quirks that had me scratching my head. No start issue then magically starts.
After digging into the wiring diagrams - and knowing one of the quirks of relays (they sometimes stick)
I have what I believe is the culprit and that is a sticking PCM Power Relay
With sticking relays (after residual voltage) drops the relay will relax back to normal position.
This is the 10-20 minute time period that owners are describing.
So if this happens - and I am correct - try tapping and or removing and reinstalling the PCM power relay in the engine compartment relay center.
Another relay of possibly is the Run/Start relay in the same relay center.
But if you have no start from both - remote start and ignition switch - it’s going to be the PCM Power Relay

I don’t think it’s a Sync or TCU issue- as that would not account for the 10 to 20 minute time out period.
Sponsored