FX4 package or just the 4x4 with Locking Axle?

dceggert

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302a, Trailer Tow, Technology Package, FX4 in black and a 2017 Fusion Platinum also in black
Occupation
You would not believe it if I told you
Narrowing down the packages with my dealer on available Rangers. He has located 3 in the surrounding area. They are all XLT 301A, trailer tow, and remote start (my requirements min) but other varying stuff like Adaptive Cruise and type of floor mats. The 3 units in play...Magnetic with FX4, Blue with FX4, and Black 4x4 with Locking Diff. Now it seems that 90% of the *street* benefits of the 4x4 system (mostly snow around these parts) are covered with just the base 4x4, and probably 100% with the locker (creeping along slow through deep mud, ruts, and snow piles). However, my goal is to *eventually* use this on the trail as well so how important are the FX4 electronics for trail driving and maybe a 'Jeep trail' in say Canyon Lands NP?

The cost of the FX4 is not a big issue really as the locker is already $400 and included in the FX4 for only $800 more. But....I keep reading here that the FX4 is not so good on the street where this truck would be used pretty much 100% of the time for the next 3 years. So, opt for something that may degrade ride 100% of the time for additional capability someday?

Ixnay on the 'buy one with an FX4 when you are ready to explore Moab' suggestion; my last truck was a 1999 and it still is used daily within the family! LOL...yea, stuff stays around here a long time.

So, how bad is the FX4 on the street compared to the base 4x4, and/or how much more capability is there in the modes that come along with the FX4 over having the core hardware with the 4x4 and the rear locker? Those of you that opted for the FX4 for mostly street use, how is the overall ride? Bouncy? Harsh? Too soft?
Sponsored

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
The best option would be to go to the dealerships that have the trucks and test drive for yourself. Anyone else's opinion is just that, opinion, and you really need the 'seat of the pants' experience for yourself.

OP
OP
dceggert

dceggert

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302a, Trailer Tow, Technology Package, FX4 in black and a 2017 Fusion Platinum also in black
Occupation
The best option would be to go to the dealerships that have the trucks and test drive for yourself. Anyone else's opinion is just that, opinion, and you really need the 'seat of the pants' experience for yourself.
That is the plan, but not until next week at this point. Other's opinions will lead me to concentrate on specific items. I am not leaving this up to anyone else....

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
That is the plan, but not until next week at this point. Other's opinions will lead me to concentrate on specific items. I am not leaving this up to anyone else....
I would concur on the test drive. I have a Lariat with the FX4 and I like the ride, but I can see how some would consider it "bouncy". Only you can determine what feels best to you. I would test drive an FX4 and a 4WD non FX4 to see which you prefer.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
FYI - remote start is kind of a waste IMO. ALL rangers (XL 101A and above) can be started via cell phone app. no special FOB or $$$ required.

JoedOH

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I was in the same boat as you back in April. I drove 1 with FX4 and hated the ride on the street. I bought a Lariat without it and love the ride. My off road is maybe driving through a farm field and for that I don't miss the FX4 option.

You'll notice the difference in ride immediately, trust me at that.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
So does anyone know if the FX4 is just different shocks or are there different springs and coils as well?

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Narrowing down the packages with my dealer on available Rangers. He has located 3 in the surrounding area. They are all XLT 301A, trailer tow, and remote start (my requirements min) but other varying stuff like Adaptive Cruise and type of floor mats. The 3 units in play...Magnetic with FX4, Blue with FX4, and Black 4x4 with Locking Diff. Now it seems that 90% of the *street* benefits of the 4x4 system (mostly snow around these parts) are covered with just the base 4x4, and probably 100% with the locker (creeping along slow through deep mud, ruts, and snow piles). However, my goal is to *eventually* use this on the trail as well so how important are the FX4 electronics for trail driving and maybe a 'Jeep trail' in say Canyon Lands NP?

The cost of the FX4 is not a big issue really as the locker is already $400 and included in the FX4 for only $800 more. But....I keep reading here that the FX4 is not so good on the street where this truck would be used pretty much 100% of the time for the next 3 years. So, opt for something that may degrade ride 100% of the time for additional capability someday?

Ixnay on the 'buy one with an FX4 when you are ready to explore Moab' suggestion; my last truck was a 1999 and it still is used daily within the family! LOL...yea, stuff stays around here a long time.

So, how bad is the FX4 on the street compared to the base 4x4, and/or how much more capability is there in the modes that come along with the FX4 over having the core hardware with the 4x4 and the rear locker? Those of you that opted for the FX4 for mostly street use, how is the overall ride? Bouncy? Harsh? Too soft?
I have a FX4 & it rides/drives great on the street! No bounciness, harshness, or anything. I love it!

DBaz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
For the money you get a lot with the FX4 package...skid plates, Terrain Management and Trail Control alone would be worth it to me. You can always change the shocks...I personally like the ride.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I own. Lariat FX4 and also love the ride. There's lots of talk about being "bouncy". I don't feel that at all.

Can someone PLEASE describe what that means and how that feels.

My Lariat rides beautifully.

Am I missing something?

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4/Sport in Saber Orange
Occupation
Systems engineer by day, maker and multimedia guru by night.
Vehicle Showcase
I own. Lariat FX4 and also love the ride. There's lots of talk about being "bouncy". I don't feel that at all.

Can someone PLEASE describe what that means and how that feels.

My Lariat rides beautifully.

Am I missing something?
I've noticed it feels "Bouncy" like a Jeep (rubicon) not "Planted" like a regular truck or large SUV. I don't mind it at all, and coming from a Subaru WRX, it feels much better for all the bumpy roads and off-roads around me.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Remote start from the phone could be taken away (for free) at pretty much any time since there's been no public commitment that it wont be.

I use the remote start all the time, and it's awesome, it even works when there's no cell coverage (wherever AT&T sucks).

One thing to think about is that the ride might have been compromised on the FX4 because the tire pressure was sky high. Most Rangers were delivered with almost 50PSI in the tires, 30-31PSI is recommended. The difference is night and day on the ride.

My dad has a lariat with locker, and I have an FX4 XLT. Our rides are similar on-road, and we've not had his offroad to compare to mine. I can say that he intentionally ordered his without FX4, and he's regretting it so much that his plan is to trade it in after two years and order "literally the exact same truck with the offroad package". Keep in mind he's 76 years old and will literally never take his truck off-road, except to drive toys down to his barn.

My take is that shocks can be changed pretty easily, but the drive modes can never be added after the fact (they are actually really neat), and the cost of aftermarket skid plates (or even OEM) more than makes up for the extra cost of the FX4 package.

Neither truck will have a rear sway bar, which is what I attribute 99% of the uncomfortable ride to.

Just some stuff to think about.

OP
OP
dceggert

dceggert

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
For the money you get a lot with the FX4 package...skid plates, Terrain Management and Trail Control alone would be worth it to me. You can always change the shocks...I personally like the ride.
Remote start from the phone could be taken away (for free) at pretty much any time since there's been no public commitment that it wont be.

I use the remote start all the time, and it's awesome, it even works when there's no cell coverage (wherever AT&T sucks).

One thing to think about is that the ride might have been compromised on the FX4 because the tire pressure was sky high. Most Rangers were delivered with almost 50PSI in the tires, 30-31PSI is recommended. The difference is night and day on the ride.

My dad has a lariat with locker, and I have an FX4 XLT. Our rides are similar on-road, and we've not had his offroad to compare to mine. I can say that he intentionally ordered his without FX4, and he's regretting it so much that his plan is to trade it in after two years and order "literally the exact same truck with the offroad package". Keep in mind he's 76 years old and will literally never take his truck off-road, except to drive toys down to his barn.

My take is that shocks can be changed pretty easily, but the drive modes can never be added after the fact (they are actually really neat), and the cost of aftermarket skid plates (or even OEM) more than makes up for the extra cost of the FX4 package.

Neither truck will have a rear sway bar, which is what I attribute 99% of the uncomfortable ride to.

Just some stuff to think about.
These are all good points. I also have noticed that the FX4 cluster also has a permanent tach. "Snow Mode" would also be beneficial for the street. As someone who holds onto their vehicles for a while (my F150 is now 20 years old) it may be a good idea to get the FX4.

I have reserved a test drive for Friday 6-Sep-2019 in two Ranger SuperCrews; one with the FX4 and one without. This should be interesting!
Sponsored