FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Yeah, it's purely wheel bling
100% correct. Not sure why people think a larger wheel is a taller overall tire. If you put 22's on it, you simply have less rubber side wall but the same overall tire height to fit the wheel well the same.

This is why a Raptor (for instance) has 17" wheels. Taller sidewall provides more "give" for a better off-road experience.

OP
OP
ben8jam

ben8jam

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
100% correct. Not sure why people think a larger wheel is a taller overall tire. If you put 22's on it, you simply have less rubber side wall but the same overall tire height to fit the wheel well the same
Yup duh totally right. Been out of the game too long.

I guess I’m just used to my old wrangler’s speedo being off with 31s and never taking the time to change the gear. Lol

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
100% correct. Not sure why people think a larger wheel is a taller overall tire. If you put 22's on it, you simply have less rubber side wall but the same overall tire height to fit the wheel well the same.

This is why a Raptor (for instance) has 17" wheels. Taller sidewall provides more "give" for a better off-road experience.
And as an added benefit.... the more tire sidewall, the better the look... but I'm a huge fan of sidewall.

0971999.jpg

ausable

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Best guidance we got from those who had driven a lot of these new Rangers was this. Test drive each. Make the test drive long enough so that you're sure. We did. The difference wasn't astounding, but much to our surprise, we actually preferred the FX4 ride better. Totally unforeseen. But no matter. The difference is merely one shim in the OEM shocks. That's it. So, we just focused on the best deal during last week's start of Black Friday's huge incentive. So, we got an FX4. It will never, ever be taken down a two track. :LOL: If we find it too "squishy" we'll upgrade the shocks. Word is the OEM shocks, on any version, are pretty cheap and prone to leaking anyhow.

75439434_939584669756715_7300650018933833728_n.jpg

ausable

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
^^^
I'm also pretty surprised that the FX4 got 18s to be honest. I feel like the tires (type and size) for 17" wheels on these mid-sized trucks are way more off-road worthy and MUCH more comfortable too when you air-down on higher volume tires. Kind of counter-intuitive to have lower profile tires on the "Off-Road" package trucks if you ask me.
The FX4 doesn't automatically give you 18" wheels/tires on the XLT. It's an expensive option IIRC. I also did not want 18" tires for the very reason you stated. Plus, we tow and lower profile tire aren't a positive thing for our purpose. Very glad our XLT FX4 came with the 17" wheels and tires. Oh, we do like the more aggressive tires, not for dirt/mud for snow.

Alex K

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with a lot of other guys. Buy aftermarket shocks and wheels and call it a day!

4x4ord

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I chose a non-FX4, 75% of the reason I got this truck is for offroad use, and have no regrets.

you got the locking diff, that's the most important part.

Imho (I'm sure some people aren't gonna like to hear this),
the FX4 skid plates are hardly worth mentioning, and the terrain management/trail control is more of a gimmick than anything else. I'm sure there are some benefits to new drivers, but I'd be willing to bet that most people that take their truck offroad more than a couple times a year will stop using that technology after the novelty wears off.

These trucks are super capable without any of the 'offroad technology', so don't feel like not having that stuff is holding you back in any way.

Just get out there and enjoy your new ranger! there's really nothing it needs, except maybe some better tires! (also 17's are better)
I have to disagree with the terrain management being a gimmick. It may seem small, but I have never enjoyed offroading as much since getting this Ranger. I get to spend more time focusing on the trail in front of me and the awesome nature I'm driving through. I appreciate it even more now that I have a 3 year-old along for the ride, the trail management just drives way smoother than I ever have on my own.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
I have to disagree with the terrain management being a gimmick. It may seem small, but I have never enjoyed offroading as much since getting this Ranger. I get to spend more time focusing on the trail in front of me and the awesome nature I'm driving through. I appreciate it even more now that I have a 3 year-old along for the ride, the trail management just drives way smoother than I ever have on my own.
interesting. glad you're enjoying it!

Deleted member 1634

I'm with you there. It may not be a save all for off-road conditions. But for those of us who aren't off-road rock crawling mud bogging wizards, it's nice to have something in the back pocket to keep us more in control. The changes to engine response and traction control intensity are things even the most experienced driver can't control with your foot. I don't use it all the time, but the couple times I have it's been nice. I don't go out into the woods to off-road, I go out to see and experience the woods, preferably in places not many other people go; going off-road is just the method to reach those places. At least in my experience; your experience may vary.

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
The FX4 is an amazing truck, but I chose the XLT, with the ELD, for purely personal reasons. My previous vehicle was an Acura MDX, the top of the line model, with all of the gadgets and 19” wheels. I love it. But when I went to get new tires, they were more expensive than the 18” ones and when I went to get winter wheels, I could not get them for 19”. I swore the next vehicle I bought, I would not go for the bigger wheels. Also some of the technology, started to give me troubles and I thought simpler was better.

I was not going to do any true off roading, maybe going down some rough or snowy small dirt roads, so I did not need the trail control or terrain management systems. 99% of the time, I would be on paved roads and would only really need the 4x4 for winter conditions.

I wanted a truck for the extra clearance, but mostly to be able to carry larger, heavier, dirtier items associated with my rural living and project construction.

I have to admit that I had a 30 minute moment of regret not getting the FX4, but I reminded myself of the reasons of not choosing it in the first place.

Every buyer has their own personal reasons for buying the truck they have. The FX4 is perfect for some and the XLT or Lariat for others.
Sponsored