First Name
Klay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4/2005 xB
Occupation
I fix things not people
Considering purchasing an XLT, from the current inventory there's a $3,000 difference between two I'm interested in, one is an XLT 4x4 and the other XLT FX4. Is the FX4 package worth the extra?

Plan on keeping this vehicle for quite sometime so I'm not concerned about resale, for the most part it will be my daily driver and some mild off road adventures.
Sponsored

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
This is really a question of how often and how rough you plan to off road the truck. I went with out the FX4 and I am very pleased with how it performs off road. If you plan to off road a lot then the FX4 might be worth the extra money.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I'd go with the 4x4 and save the money now especially if you don't plan on off roading much. Besides there are a number of good aftermarket suspension out there (probably cheaper) you could add on later if you find your needs changed.

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
Considering purchasing an XLT, from the current inventory there's a $3,000 difference between two I'm interested in, one is an XLT 4x4 and the other XLT FX4. Is the FX4 package worth the extra?

Plan on keeping this vehicle for quite sometime so I'm not concerned about resale, for the most part it will be my daily driver and some mild off road adventures.
The FX4 package is only about $1300 more retail, so there appears to be other items on the FX4 rig that the 4X4 rig does not have. Just make sure that you are comparing apples to apples.

6make7

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Technician
I believe the FX4 package includes a locking diff, skids, and suspension components

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
FX4 OFF-ROAD PACKAGE (914)

Availability: ● Opt. on XL Mid (101A) ● Opt. on XLT and Lariat Not available with: ● 4x2 or XL Base
Requires: ● 4x4 ● STX Appearance Package (76F) (101A only)

Includes:

● 4x4 “FX4 Off-Road” bodyside decal
● 17” Off-Road OWL Tires (TGT) ● 18” Off-Road OWL Tires (TFP)
● Electronic-Locking Rear Differential
● Exposed Steel bash plate
● Off-Road Screen in Cluster
● Off-Road tuned suspension
● Remove front air dam
● Skid Plates: fuel tank, transfer case and front differential
● Terrain Management System™
● Trail Control™ Optional Equipment:
● LT 265/65 R17 A/T OWL Tires (TEW)

It was worth it to me. Even though I didn't like the red sticker on my blue truck. I pulled it off and replaced it.

IMG_20190604_143525.jpg

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
It was worth it to me. Even though I didn't like the red sticker on my blue truck. I pulled it off and replaced it.

IMG_20190604_143525.jpg
That sticker is great! Where'd you get it?

On topic: I have a 4X4 and honestly, at this point, I probably would've been just fine with a 4X2 with an electronic rear differential locker. My truck has that too and locking the rear differential almost always is enough to get me moving. Could've saved me a big chunk of change.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheKracka

TheKracka

First Name
Klay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4/2005 xB
Occupation
I fix things not people
Thank you all for the feedback. The electronic locking differential is selling me on the FX4. May just have to order what I want if something that fits the bill doesn't appear on the lots near me first.

OP
OP
TheKracka

TheKracka

First Name
Klay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4/2005 xB
Occupation
I fix things not people
FX4 OFF-ROAD PACKAGE (914)

Availability: ● Opt. on XL Mid (101A) ● Opt. on XLT and Lariat Not available with: ● 4x2 or XL Base
Requires: ● 4x4 ● STX Appearance Package (76F) (101A only)

Includes:

● 4x4 “FX4 Off-Road” bodyside decal
● 17” Off-Road OWL Tires (TGT) ● 18” Off-Road OWL Tires (TFP)
● Electronic-Locking Rear Differential
● Exposed Steel bash plate
● Off-Road Screen in Cluster
● Off-Road tuned suspension
● Remove front air dam
● Skid Plates: fuel tank, transfer case and front differential
● Terrain Management System™
● Trail Control™ Optional Equipment:
● LT 265/65 R17 A/T OWL Tires (TEW)

IMG_20190604_143525.jpg
That looks great! Not fond of the FX4 decal either. Typically I debadge all my vehicles.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Hi Klay,

Some where on these Forums (frustrated I cannot figure out where my posts are) is the Story behind the FX4 brand which I helped create. FX4 is not an on road package and if you are on road only, likely not for you. But if you wish to have a nice off road performance without mods from the factory, you might consider the FX4.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR

I didn’t care for the FX4 pkg ride and honestly I will never take it off road. The extra cost was a concern too.
I ordered my Ranger with 4X4 only using the savings for the 501a pkg and locking diff.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
True Story: A couple of years ago, driving my 2014 Explorer to work at about five in the morning, I ran over a shopping cart (I know, what was it doing on the freeway!) and punctured a tire. Managed to park the Explorer nearby and got a cab to work (on time, barely). The moral of the story, which I drew right away, was that my next vehicle was going to designed for off-road, even though I never go off-road, just in case something like this ever happens again. So I got the FX4 version of the Lariat, just for the peace of mind in knowing that I am ready for anything.
Sponsored