Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 LB Super Crew, 2012 GT500, 2015 VW GSW TDI
Vehicle Showcase
Not so short back story: Been lurking here for months as I was holding out for a diesel option and seeing how long we could nurse the wife's Focus. We're a pretty die hard Ford family with having just sold the 2010 F150 we had as it was too big for what we needed and was our extra vehicle for the past several years. We sold it in July with wanting a new Ranger since it was announced they were coming back two years ago. So this will be the wife's new daily and my occasional hauler when needed.

Nothing wrong with a 2019, but with it being so close to 2020 builds, I want to order the newest despite not interested in any new colors or FX2. We know there's some money left on the table by not taking advantage of current or better incentives, but not finding the exact truck we want and the few we see in the region are January builds. I'd rather have a new one than a 9+ month old one. I work for company that is a Ford partner so I have X plan and have used it over the 15+ years of car buying. I'm using my local dealer that my friend had bought a vehicle from. I'm not too concerned but they will take X plan and let me order.

My question is how many actually have a Lariat and FX4 and not the Sport package? Originally I was all set to order it too until she saw it and didn't like the magnetic. I personally like it but you're really just paying for that and the regular Lariat wheels don't look much different vs. the sport . She prefers it without the sport package so it will save me a few bucks.

We are ordering a 501A Lariat Supercrew 4X4 in Lightning Blue/stone interior with FX4, trailer tow, and spray in liner. Pretty simple but not seeing anyone here with that or at least not that I can find easy with searching. Any reasons to get the Sport that I'm missing from what Ford specs?

Thanks again all. This is a nice forum and enjoying others enjoying theirs!
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
It's an appearance package, so it's mostly a matter of taste. I think the saber color is only available with the sport package, so if you want saber you get sport. I personally like saber and the hot pepper red in sport, and hate lightning blue in sport. So I have a lightning blue non-sport lariat fx4. :turkey: The only functional difference (AFAIK) is that the sport package will get you 17 inch wheels, and the normal lariat wheels are 18 inch. You can pay extra for fancier 18 inch wheels on the sport package, but in neither case can you get 16 inch wheels (which is what I'd actually like).

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat Fx4-Lotus Evora-Lotus Elise-BMW X7 M
^^ What VAMike said. I have one as well, non-sport Lariat SuperCrew fx4, w/tow package, Lightening Blue/Black interior, so we are out there. :)

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Lariat w/o the sport. At the time I didn't want to spend the extra money. After already deciding on the Lariat and not the XLT. But I changed my mind mid pre order build; but it was to late. I really liked the Saber. And the B&O system is amazing. If your on deciding whether or not to; just go ahead and do it. Don't be like me and regret it when its to late. Even if you have to wait to get what you want. Wait a few months or so; and drive what you wanted to years to come.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I too have a Lariat without the sport package. Platinum White with stone interior and 501a, FX4 and tow packages. I ordered it just how I wanted it and I'd do exactly the same thing again. No buyers remorse here. I would agree at this point it makes sense to order a 2020. You can't order a 2019 any longer so if you wanted one, you'd need to buy from dealer stock. I'm guessing there will be some pretty good deals coming soon as they get rid of remaining 2019's in preparation for the 2020's, though.

Mantis

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 2014 Ford Edge SEL
I decided to order a 2020 in August after looking around my state and the immediate surrounding states and only finding one truck in dealer inventory that had what I wanted and nothing more. I consistently found the sport package added which I didn't want as well.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Not so short back story: Been lurking here for months as I was holding out for a diesel option and seeing how long we could nurse the wife's Focus. We're a pretty die hard Ford family with having just sold the 2010 F150 we had as it was too big for what we needed and was our extra vehicle for the past several years. We sold it in July with wanting a new Ranger since it was announced they were coming back two years ago. So this will be the wife's new daily and my occasional hauler when needed.

Nothing wrong with a 2019, but with it being so close to 2020 builds, I want to order the newest despite not interested in any new colors or FX2. We know there's some money left on the table by not taking advantage of current or better incentives, but not finding the exact truck we want and the few we see in the region are January builds. I'd rather have a new one than a 9+ month old one. I work for company that is a Ford partner so I have X plan and have used it over the 15+ years of car buying. I'm using my local dealer that my friend had bought a vehicle from. I'm not too concerned but they will take X plan and let me order.

My question is how many actually have a Lariat and FX4 and not the Sport package? Originally I was all set to order it too until she saw it and didn't like the magnetic. I personally like it but you're really just paying for that and the regular Lariat wheels don't look much different vs. the sport . She prefers it without the sport package so it will save me a few bucks.

We are ordering a 501A Lariat Supercrew 4X4 in Lightning Blue/stone interior with FX4, trailer tow, and spray in liner. Pretty simple but not seeing anyone here with that or at least not that I can find easy with searching. Any reasons to get the Sport that I'm missing from what Ford specs?

Thanks again all. This is a nice forum and enjoying others enjoying theirs!
I did the Chrome instead of Sport. It's a choice to what you want/like.

OP
OP
Nutty 5.0

Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks everyone. After triple checking comparing pics of both Sport vs. no sport with the wife since it's hers, we are doing without the sport, chrome or black package. The others look nice and I'd personally check one of those boxes but she's pretty firm on decision. She's saving me so I guess I shouldn't complain!

Will update as we order and progress!

OP
OP
Nutty 5.0

Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Went to our local dealer and they had 7-8 Rangers. Only one Lariat with almost all XLT’s. So they gave us the RHP XLT with FX4, spray in liner and sport package. The salesman I dealt with my friend years back was great. Zero pressure, handed us the keys, and said get lost and really test it out. Have a Kona GT500 so liked this Kona GT. Few of the other Rangers were behind it.

This XLT had 1200 miles on it and was a February 19 build. I sat in a few at the auto shows but driving it really has more room then we thought. I’m 5’11 240 lbs and fit in all seats just fine. The back was roomier than we both thought. The ride was great and no “bounce” that I could tell lol. We both drive trucks so maybe we didn’t notice. Seats in this were really comfortable. I loved the Sync 3 coming from whatever my 2010 f150 with Nav/Sync was and we liked that too.

I never had a spare in liner but wanted one. I liked how this one looked although I have nothing to compare to. Seeing the sport package in person I like it but left me wondering: what if you buy a Magnetic truck and get the sport package. You’re just getting the grille and wheels? It looks nice in person but will prefer the body colored bumpers and wheel lips.

We drove the truck about 30 miles for an hour and a half. She wanted to see how easy it was to park and play with the controls and TM. We came back and told them we are ready to order. We quick looked at the lariat in black interior so we got to see what we’re getting minus the black. She still prefers the stone. They happily ordered the truck as I supplied my x plan pin and left a $500 deposit. So now we wait!

7F5719E7-E364-483D-B317-2D20637614E6.jpeg

1E0453FE-482E-43CE-B0DE-7C55AE894E5C.jpeg

53F6D9E5-5A09-4BF8-B36B-13003B1CFA96.jpeg

07223AA8-0BBF-4BBD-BB38-7BC2B9583CA7.jpeg

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
Went to our local dealer and they had 7-8 Rangers. Only one Lariat with almost all XLT’s. So they gave us the RHP XLT with FX4, spray in liner and sport package. The salesman I dealt with my friend years back was great. Zero pressure, handed us the keys, and said get lost and really test it out. Have a Kona GT500 so liked this Kona GT. Few of the other Rangers were behind it.

This XLT had 1200 miles on it and was a February 19 build. I sat in a few at the auto shows but driving it really has more room then we thought. I’m 5’11 240 lbs and fit in all seats just fine. The back was roomier than we both thought. The ride was great and no “bounce” that I could tell lol. We both drive trucks so maybe we didn’t notice. Seats in this were really comfortable. I loved the Sync 3 coming from whatever my 2010 f150 with Nav/Sync was and we liked that too.

I never had a spare in liner but wanted one. I liked how this one looked although I have nothing to compare to. Seeing the sport package in person I like it but left me wondering: what if you buy a Magnetic truck and get the sport package. You’re just getting the grille and wheels? It looks nice in person but will prefer the body colored bumpers and wheel lips.

We drove the truck about 30 miles for an hour and a half. She wanted to see how easy it was to park and play with the controls and TM. We came back and told them we are ready to order. We quick looked at the lariat in black interior so we got to see what we’re getting minus the black. She still prefers the stone. They happily ordered the truck as I supplied my x plan pin and left a $500 deposit. So now we wait!

7F5719E7-E364-483D-B317-2D20637614E6.jpeg

1E0453FE-482E-43CE-B0DE-7C55AE894E5C.jpeg

53F6D9E5-5A09-4BF8-B36B-13003B1CFA96.jpeg

07223AA8-0BBF-4BBD-BB38-7BC2B9583CA7.jpeg
Sounds like a well thought through buying process, congrats on the new truck order! What color did you end up going with? Magnetic?

OP
OP
Nutty 5.0

Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like a well thought through buying process, congrats on the new truck order! What color did you end up going with? Magnetic?
Yeah been researching and planning for nearly a year. Lightning blue was the color. She likes magnetic too but we’ve had both our old f150 and her focus in Sterling Silver metallic which I think this replaced. They’re very similar and both look great. Blue won out more me than her.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
I also special ordered a 2020 Lariat 4x2 with the 501A package in August because I want a SuperCab and not a SuperCrew.
As most SuperCab buyers know, this body style is rarer than hen's teeth on any dealers's lot.
I also sprung for the FX2, chrome and trailer tow packages, as well as mud guards and running boards.
Orignially the order specified the keyless entry pad and spray in bedliner, which I was able to delete, I'll purchase the entry pad as a Ford option locally and place it where I want it to be and have the bedliner done locally as well.
The truck will be finished in "Rapid Red Tri-coat metallic" with interior trim in Ebony.
At this point, I am patiently waiting for the dealer to supply me with a VIN for the truck.
Congrats on your decision !

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
When I was looking for a Ranger, it was virtually impossible to find one that did NOT have chrome or sport package, but had 501A Lariat package. I had to order, which is fine. I got exactly what I wanted. IMO (and I'm not like everyone else) a solid colored vehicle looks much cleaner than having different color bumpers than what the main body color is, but that's me.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
When I was looking for a Ranger, it was virtually impossible to find one that did NOT have chrome or sport package, but had 501A Lariat package. I had to order, which is fine. I got exactly what I wanted. IMO (and I'm not like everyone else) a solid colored vehicle looks much cleaner than having different color bumpers than what the main body color is, but that's me.
I’d say with what you’ve done to your truck that was the right choice. It wouldn’t have looked nearly as good putting all the black accents and roof onto a truck with grey bumpers and fender trim. I looked at doing my roof but it just doesn’t look right to me.
Sponsored