FX4 package or just the 4x4 with Locking Axle?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
These are all good points. I also have noticed that the FX4 cluster also has a permanent tach. "Snow Mode" would also be beneficial for the street. As someone who holds onto their vehicles for a while (my F150 is now 20 years old) it may be a good idea to get the FX4.

I have reserved a test drive for Friday 6-Sep-2019 in two Ranger SuperCrews; one with the FX4 and one without. This should be interesting!
As far as the cluster goes, if I'm understanding you correctly, that has nothing to do with FX4. That is the difference between the XL/XLT gauge cluster and the Lariat cluster. The XL/XLT cluster has two analog gauges -Tach, Speedo) with one "productivity screen" in the middle (that is what Ford calls those small screens you navigate with the button on the steering wheel) and the Lariat has one analog gauge in the center with two productivity screens on either side - one of which you can display an digital tach on if you want.

Here are bad screen shots from the ford configurator - the XL/XLT gauge cluster:
upload_2019-9-5_7-0-41.png

And the Lariat Cluster:
upload_2019-9-5_7-1-5.png
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I used snow and ice mode a bunch this winter, I live on dirt roads, and prior to the TSB for transmission wildness, the truck was unruly on the icy roads. Snow mode tames it completely.

I'll have to see if it's needed now that the transmission is behaving. I used it a few times this summer too while driving around on wet grass/hills. The trail control is also super neat, it will drive over anything as long as a wheel is touching something grippy.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
These are all good points. I also have noticed that the FX4 cluster also has a permanent tach.
that depends on trim level, nothing to do with fx4 package.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
As others have said, the FX4 comes with a ton of other goodies that make it worth the package. If you don't like the ride, change the shocks, because they are the only differentiator that changes the ride.

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer
Narrowing down the packages with my dealer on available Rangers. He has located 3 in the surrounding area. They are all XLT 301A, trailer tow, and remote start (my requirements min) but other varying stuff like Adaptive Cruise and type of floor mats. The 3 units in play...Magnetic with FX4, Blue with FX4, and Black 4x4 with Locking Diff. Now it seems that 90% of the *street* benefits of the 4x4 system (mostly snow around these parts) are covered with just the base 4x4, and probably 100% with the locker (creeping along slow through deep mud, ruts, and snow piles). However, my goal is to *eventually* use this on the trail as well so how important are the FX4 electronics for trail driving and maybe a 'Jeep trail' in say Canyon Lands NP?

The cost of the FX4 is not a big issue really as the locker is already $400 and included in the FX4 for only $800 more. But....I keep reading here that the FX4 is not so good on the street where this truck would be used pretty much 100% of the time for the next 3 years. So, opt for something that may degrade ride 100% of the time for additional capability someday?

Ixnay on the 'buy one with an FX4 when you are ready to explore Moab' suggestion; my last truck was a 1999 and it still is used daily within the family! LOL...yea, stuff stays around here a long time.

So, how bad is the FX4 on the street compared to the base 4x4, and/or how much more capability is there in the modes that come along with the FX4 over having the core hardware with the 4x4 and the rear locker? Those of you that opted for the FX4 for mostly street use, how is the overall ride? Bouncy? Harsh? Too soft?
Get an FX4, Terrain Management is a total game changer, and effectively replicates the function of a front locker in a much more convenient way. You want Trail Control too for hill descents. The ride isn't what everyone makes it out to be, it's a truck designed to carry stuff (even off-road), not a luxury SUV designed for posing.

OP
OP
dceggert

dceggert

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302a, Trailer Tow, Technology Package, FX4 in black and a 2017 Fusion Platinum also in black
Occupation
You would not believe it if I told you
Update: I drove two Ranger 4Ă—4 XLT SuperCrew trucks back-to-back this afternoon over the same test route. I was able to use a particularly bumpy side street and a particularly long entry road to a marina full of potholes, ridges, and mismatched patches in the surface. I picked this path since it is not very pleasant in my Fusion or F150 when I have driven it before. I drove the 4x4 first and the FX4 second. I did not find the 'ride' to be much different between the two for jounce, pitching, or body roll, however, the FX4 seemed to handle the bumps with less initial impact harshness. This was not the result I was expecting.

The salesman is now trying to determine if the unit I want can be traded for to get it over to the dealership. I will know Monday 9-Sep. Thanks for everyone's input!

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I haven't drove one without the FX4 but mine rides really nice. Its by far the nicest riding truck Ive ever owned. The only complaint I have I'm not sure what its called but when you hit multiple bumps the rear end kinda bounces sideways. I guess its gonna do that no matter what because it has leaf spring rear suspension. Not sure why they didn't upgrade the rear suspension to independent with a-arms and CV shafts but it works. Less parts to wear out that's for certain.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
I haven't drove one without the FX4 but mine rides really nice. Its by far the nicest riding truck Ive ever owned. The only complaint I have I'm not sure what its called but when you hit multiple bumps the rear end kinda bounces sideways. I guess its gonna do that no matter what because it has leaf spring rear suspension. Not sure why they didn't upgrade the rear suspension to independent with a-arms and CV shafts but it works. Less parts to wear out that's for certain.
I believe that rear suspension trait you refer to is called "side stepping", both my '91 and '00 Rangers suffered from it to some degree.
But, of all the vehicles I've owned that was the worst in displaying this annoying trait was a '65 Mustang,
As it turned out the left rear leaf spring body forward attaching point was cracked.
Some judicious welding an voila!, problem solved.

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I believe that rear suspension trait you refer to is called "side stepping", both my '91 and '00 Rangers suffered from it to some degree.
But, of all the vehicles I've owned that was the worst in displaying this annoying trait was a '65 Mustang,
As it turned out the left rear leaf spring body forward attaching point was cracked.
ya side stepping sounds right. All my trucks have done it.its rather bothersome but I'm not sure what could fix it. Maybe the Fox rear shock dampeners would help, I'm not sure if they are really any better than the FX4 though.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

The term is Skate/Dart. The old Ranger suffered from this and it is related to the motion ratio of the rear shocks relative to the wheel tire. The shocks are quite a bit inboard which results in very little shock rod/piston movement and makes the shock tuning a bear. The "new Ranger, the P273 Program" improved on this vastly, but alas, the program was cancelled by our CEO at the time. The 5G Ranger has better rear Shock positioning as well and from what I can tell, Skate/Dart is quite minimal if any.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
I must be missing something. My FX4 has an awesome ride off-road and especially ON road too. Not sure where some say it's bouncy.
Me neither! I have ridden in many trucks over the years & I can say it's definitely no worse than any other truck &, in my opinion, rides as good or better than most I've been in (emphasis on better!).:inlove:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
After having my truck for almost 5 months, I can kind of see where people say it can be "bouncy". I personally like it - traditional trucks can be very harsh and stiff, especially with upgraded shocks/springs. I like the compromise on the Ranger which makes it WAY better as a daily driver. When I test drove a Ranger several months ago, I drove my 2005 to the test drive, and then drove the Ranger. The difference in ride was quite noticeable. The new Ranger rode WAY better - less harshness by far. I think a by product of that is when you get on smooth roads it can "bounce" a bit - to me (a laymans understanding) it is just because it has smoothed out the bumps in the road - on my old Ranger you would hit a bump or something and it was quick and sharp. The Ranger is slower and smoother, but when you hit a few of them in a row, it can feel a bit "bouncy".

I LOVE how my new Ranger rides - I think the "bounce" is a positive, not a negative.

Mcoop57

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4X4, 2016 Honda Goldwing, 2017 Volkswagen GTI
Occupation
Retired
B8B735DF-3B75-4384-9113-FB6D9F3267F6.jpeg
I have an STX 4X4 that I got to take on a 2,500 mile road trip over Labor Day weekend. We got to do some “boondock” camping in Kentucky that involved leaving the pavement for a mile or two down to a creek. I was VERY happy to have four wheel drive when I needed it (sort of) but also happy to have stock (softer) suspension when it came time for the ten hour drive back home. Also, the Ranger “bounce” that people often refer to completely disappeared when we were fully loaded down for camping.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
The advertising says that the FX4 is "tuned" for more off road driving. What that means is only the engineer or the parts man can tell you what is the difference. It is a seat of the pants subjective thing. You need to ask your seat or your wifes seat what you want. Every vehicle is a compromise guess as to what people want. Try a Chev or a Tacoma. Then you pays you money and take your chances. I think that most people dont need the extra off road equipment they just want it. Tire pressure and sand bags change the ride in a PU. :blush:
Sponsored