First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
In my experience the only real value add of FX4 is the locking rear diff and the skid plates. The off-road modes are a gimmick and the FX4 suspension is not great. Would try to save the money and get a proper suspension kit if I were to do it again. The AT tires that come stock are also mediocre.
Well I wouldn't say that the off road modes "are a gimmick". I've used them all and they do what they're intended to do. Now maybe they're not going to be used by everyone so they could be a useless feature but to call them a gimmick is misleading. :)

I had all these same features on my Tacoma and never used them because,well, I hated that truck and never cared to off road all that much wth it. With my Ranger I use them often and they work great. Especially the sand mode as we go through some deep sandy washes to get to our shooting spot in the desert. Would I get stuck without it,doubtful but you can here and feel the difference when in that mode.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Yamahauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Electric Blue
Well I wouldn't say that the off road modes "are a gimmick". I've used them al and they do what they're intended to do. Now maybe they're not going to be used by everyone so they could be a useless feature but to call them a gimmick is misleading. :)

I had all these same features on my Tacoma and never used them because,well, I hated that truck and never cared to off road all that much wth it. With my Ranger I use them often and they work great. Especially the sand mode as we go through some deep sandy washes to get to our shooting spot in the desert. Would I get stuck without it,doubtful but you can here and feel the difference when in that mode.
Fair enough. They do change power delivery and driving characteristics for sure. I just figure for the money I could do without them.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Fair enough. They do change power delivery and driving characteristics for sure. I just figure for the money I could do without them.
You're right for some they're not worth the money if you don't use them. Like you said you're better off just ordering the locking diff and adding skid plates and still have money leftover. It was a waste of money for me with my Tacoma but I had higher expectations with that truck. I don't use my Ranger to the fullest but I do use these features often and I'm glad I spent the extra money. I could probably get by with the Fx2 with the locker but I love this truck and enjoy off roading with it and using these features.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
You're right for some they're not worth the money if you don't use them. Like you said you're better off just ordering the locking diff and adding skid plates and still have money leftover. It was a waste of money for me with my Tacoma but I had higher expectations with that truck. I don't use my Ranger to the fullest but I do use these features often and I'm glad I spent the extra money. I could probably get by with the Fx2 with the locker but I love this truck and enjoy off roading with it and using these features.
I always wondered if I was missing out on any FX4 features, but I dont think I would be able to utilize them enough to justify the extra cost. I was mostly looking for a 4x4 with a tow package, the supercab i got happened to have an e-locker, which i will celebrate the day if i actually need to use it.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I always wondered if I was missing out on any FX4 features, but I dont think I would be able to utilize them enough to justify the extra cost. I was mostly looking for a 4x4 with a tow package, the supercab i got happened to have an e-locker, which i will celebrate the day if i actually need to use it.
You're probably not missing a thing and it's worth saving the extra money. Even when I'm going through the deeper washes I can get through them without using the sand mode. I just go faster and look for the deep areas to utilize the feature. ;)

Michael Bailey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape SE 2.0 4x4, 1974 Norton Commando 850, 1967 Norton P11 750
Occupation
Trout Fisher, Layabout, US Army SGM (Ret)
Vehicle Showcase
R
"Just my fishing truck" I'm a bit envious of this statement, my retirement goal. Have any pictures of some catches? Perhaps that could be an off topic thread, "Big Fish Stories."?
Rocky Mountain small-stream trout, my favorite quarry, are not often over a foot long. So the pictures are not very impressive. But come along and see if you can catch as many of these beautiful little naturally-reproducing brown trout as I, or if you have ever been in places as beautiful.

For larger trout, I use the belly-boat in the top-right of my photo above, on Fenton Lake. One time a couple of years ago, I caught two 19" rainbows out of Fenton. I had two hits all day, but caught them both.

OP
OP
TheKracka

TheKracka

First Name
Klay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4/2005 xB
Occupation
I fix things not people
R

Rocky Mountain small-stream trout, my favorite quarry, are not often over a foot long. So the pictures are not very impressive. But come along and see if you can catch as many of these beautiful little naturally-reproducing brown trout as I, or if you have ever been in places as beautiful.

For larger trout, I use the belly-boat in the top-right of my photo above, on Fenton Lake. One time a couple of years ago, I caught two 19" rainbows out of Fenton. I had two hits all day, but caught them both.
Trout are beautiful, never been patient enough to learn how to fly fish, everything looks small compared to palagics anyways. If you posted a picture for some reason I'm not seeing it.

Michael Bailey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape SE 2.0 4x4, 1974 Norton Commando 850, 1967 Norton P11 750
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if this is a widget or something useful. Its neat, but i dunno...
My son has the FX4 package in his Explorer, with that screen, bash plates, and other gizmos, but he says that he never uses it. I looked at it when I got my Ranger and knew I would never need that stuff either. I just have 4x4 with "posi", and I when I put the winter tires/wheels on it, I am King of the Mountain.

The only way the FX4 package would ever make sense is on resale, if ever. And I plan on keeping my Ranger for 10-15 years, like I usually do with trucks.

Michael Bailey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Trout are beautiful, never been patient enough to learn how to fly fish, everything looks small compared to palagics anyways. If you posted a picture for some reason I'm not seeing it.
I like saltwater, I occasionally hit the "bones" with my 8-weight fly rod whenever I find myself in the Caribbean. I like any kind of fishing but love that I live in mountain trout stream/fly rod heaven.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
My son has the FX4 package in his Explorer, with that screen, bash plates, and other gizmos, but he says that he never uses it. I looked at it when I got my Ranger and knew I would never need that stuff either. I just have 4x4 with "posi", and I when I put the winter tires/wheels on it, I am King of the Mountain.

The only way the FX4 package would ever make sense is on resale, if ever. And I plan on keeping my Ranger for 10-15 years, like I usually do with trucks.
My dealer put the hard sell on FX4 because there were few if any Rangers around without it. I ended up ordering my truck with the color combos I wanted, 501A pkg and non FX4 w/locker. It’s due in a few weeks!

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
In my experience the only real value add of FX4 is the locking rear diff and the skid plates. The off-road modes are a gimmick and the FX4 suspension is not great. Would try to save the money and get a proper suspension kit if I were to do it again. The AT tires that come stock are also mediocre.
At first I thought the terrain management was a gimmick but I tested the feature the first weekend I got my truck. I kept it in 4 high, normal mode through most of my trip, but got some slippage in sand. Turned to sand mode and all the slipping stopped. Came across some loose river rocks and started slipping, turned it to gravel mode and crawled through it no problem. While I am sure I could have gotten out of these situations without the specialized modes, the fact that it made such a difference blew my mind! I come from an open diff jeep without fancy doodads and really like deciding how to approach an obstacle, but I also like that I limit my chances of sliding into a tree or getting myself stuck and need recovery. I am very happy with the fx4 package (though I did upgrade the shocks) and it fits well with what I use my truck for. And for the record, I don’t like having that sticker on the bed...looks ugly in my opinion.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
At first I thought the terrain management was a gimmick but I tested the feature the first weekend I got my truck. I kept it in 4 high, normal mode through most of my trip, but got some slippage in sand. Turned to sand mode and all the slipping stopped. Came across some loose river rocks and started slipping, turned it to gravel mode and crawled through it no problem. While I am sure I could have gotten out of these situations without the specialized modes, the fact that it made such a difference blew my mind! I come from an open diff jeep without fancy doodads and really like deciding how to approach an obstacle, but I also like that I limit my chances of sliding into a tree or getting myself stuck and need recovery. I am very happy with the fx4 package (though I did upgrade the shocks) and it fits well with what I use my truck for. And for the record, I don’t like having that sticker on the bed...looks ugly in my opinion.
An ordinary hair dryer and 10 minutes work will take those stickers right off.
Do it in the first year or so and you will have no paint fade.
Start with the dealer's stickers on the truck or another car just for practice.
Sponsored