Towing Package: It's more than just a hitch and some wires.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Something I just noticed today and thought I would share. The rear bumper center section is different when your truck has the factory tow package.

It's modified to move the hitch receiver up higher, thus giving the truck a better rear approach angle.

Well done Ford. I'm surprised they don't make of note of this on shop.ford.com?

"The Trailer Tow Package increases the Ranger towing rating and includes hitch receiver and 4/7-pin connector."

Factory vs Aftermarket Hitch.jpg

Without Tow Package.JPG
With Tow Package.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Something I just noticed today and thought I would share. The rear bumper center section is different when your truck has the factory tow package.

It's modified to move the hitch receiver up higher, thus giving the truck a better rear approach angle.

"The Trailer Tow Package increases the Ranger towing rating and includes hitch receiver and 4/7-pin connector."

Factory vs Aftermarket Hitch.jpg

Without Tow Package.JPG
With Tow Package.JPG
Good detailed info John! I noticed that I did not scrape my hitch when we were up in Sedona off roading. When we were on the exact same trails with my Tacoma (with the off road package) I couldn't even get over the first hump without severely scraping my hitch.

On a side note is there a larger transmission and radiator cooler on the Ranger tow package? I know with the Tacoma it does.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
On a side note is there a larger transmission and radiator cooler on the Ranger tow package? I know with the Tacoma it does.
No, the functional parts are just the receiver and fancier connector. Wiring is the same in all models, as are transmission and radiator. The 10 speed is always connected to the coolant.

OP
OP
HenryMac

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Here's a pdf, showing what it takes to install a Ford factory hitch and related components......courtesy of member earsmccoy on this thread ----> Trucks w/o Tow Package?

Attachments

OP
OP
HenryMac

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
very cool. just FYI, "rear approach" is typically called "departure angle"
Thanks.. Keeping it simple, back on the farm we would have called the low mounted hitch "The Ruptured Duck" look. :turkey:

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
I installed the factory tow package on my Ranger. It is really a complete different bumper assembly that reuses the visible painted or chrome pieces and the top plastic skin. It also comes with an additional bolt on each side. It fits up against the frame very well.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase

/QUOTE]

I also have a little button for towing on my console......

OP
OP
HenryMac

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I also have a little button for towing on my console......
All Rangers have that....

Without the tow package the bumper itself can be used once a ball is installed. And the bumper has a significant structural support when the tow package isn't provided.

Is it as good as a hitch? Nope.

Is it better than a sheet metal bumper? Yes, a lot better.

Here's some photo's I took of an XLT..

Rear Bumper Mount 000.JPG

Rear Bumper Mount 001.JPG

Rear Bumper Mount 002.JPG

Rear Bumper Mount 003.JPG

Rear Bumper Mount 004.JPG

Rear Bumper Mount 005.JPG

Last edited:

scubalizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
think also the change is to be able to see the full hitch in your backup camera. while you may be able to see the hitch in an aftermarket setup you would really know where your truck ends in the camera.

BRanger

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 301a XLT Cactus Grey
In all of Ford's marketing material, they state that the Ranger can tow 7,500 lbs *when equipped with the towing package*.

My question is, if the truck doesn't come with the towing package and you add an aftermarket hitch, what is the tow rating? If there isn't an upgraded radiator and axle ratio like on the Expedition and other models, is it just up to the rating of the hitch that you install?
Sponsored