Ordering a 2020 Lariat. Not seeing many with FX4 without Sport Package

RangerMaybe

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Dakota
LOL umm yeah not to hijack but what kind of matt is that and how do you like it?
Nice toybox BTW! :)

Thx,
LB
Sponsored

OP
OP
Nutty 5.0

Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 LB Super Crew, 2012 GT500, 2015 VW GSW TDI
Vehicle Showcase
Nice truck Dave,good luck with it. It that Racedeck garage floor? If so how do you like it? Thanks Bret
Thanks! We haven’t driven it yet since. Yes on Racedeck. Love it and what I wanted to use when I built the garage but didn’t due to cost. Went with U Coat It which was ok but didn’t hold up long for some heavy use doing side work. Fast forward to two years ago and the floor would’ve needed ground down to do epoxy again which wasn’t going to deal with.

RD holds up great and really looks good. Highly recommend.

OP
OP
Nutty 5.0

Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
LOL umm yeah not to hijack but what kind of matt is that and how do you like it?
Nice toybox BTW! :)

Thx,
LB
Thanks it was for mostly side work for me but haven’t done much of that for years.

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Not so short back story: Been lurking here for months as I was holding out for a diesel option and seeing how long we could nurse the wife's Focus. We're a pretty die hard Ford family with having just sold the 2010 F150 we had as it was too big for what we needed and was our extra vehicle for the past several years. We sold it in July with wanting a new Ranger since it was announced they were coming back two years ago. So this will be the wife's new daily and my occasional hauler when needed.

Nothing wrong with a 2019, but with it being so close to 2020 builds, I want to order the newest despite not interested in any new colors or FX2. We know there's some money left on the table by not taking advantage of current or better incentives, but not finding the exact truck we want and the few we see in the region are January builds. I'd rather have a new one than a 9+ month old one. I work for company that is a Ford partner so I have X plan and have used it over the 15+ years of car buying. I'm using my local dealer that my friend had bought a vehicle from. I'm not too concerned but they will take X plan and let me order.

My question is how many actually have a Lariat and FX4 and not the Sport package? Originally I was all set to order it too until she saw it and didn't like the magnetic. I personally like it but you're really just paying for that and the regular Lariat wheels don't look much different vs. the sport . She prefers it without the sport package so it will save me a few bucks.

We are ordering a 501A Lariat Supercrew 4X4 in Lightning Blue/stone interior with FX4, trailer tow, and spray in liner. Pretty simple but not seeing anyone here with that or at least not that I can find easy with searching. Any reasons to get the Sport that I'm missing from what Ford specs?

Thanks again all. This is a nice forum and enjoying others enjoying theirs!
Mine is a lariat with the chrome package. I dont normally like chrome but it looks really good. I do however like the standard look the best where the bumpers and door handles are the same color as the truck.

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I also special ordered a 2020 Lariat 4x2 with the 501A package in August because I want a SuperCab and not a SuperCrew.
As most SuperCab buyers know, this body style is rarer than hen's teeth on any dealers's lot.
I also sprung for the FX2, chrome and trailer tow packages, as well as mud guards and running boards.
Orignially the order specified the keyless entry pad and spray in bedliner, which I was able to delete, I'll purchase the entry pad as a Ford option locally and place it where I want it to be and have the bedliner done locally as well.
The truck will be finished in "Rapid Red Tri-coat metallic" with interior trim in Ebony.
At this point, I am patiently waiting for the dealer to supply me with a VIN for the truck.
Congrats on your decision !
As someone that always goes for 4 wheel drive can I ask why you decided FX2 instead of FX4? is it the gas mileage?

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
I live in urban Honolulu, so there is no need for 4 wheel drive at all, occasionally, however, I do drive on some dirt roads where a 4x4 would be nice, but a 4x2 with a locker will suffice. This is why I sprung for the FX2 package because it includes a locker and it's other design features lends some sort of individualism. I'll install a 2.5 inch front lift spacers from FordRangerLifts (which I already have) to level out the body somewhat.
Fuel economy is a factor between the 2 drive types and I cannot justify the added initial cost, machinery and additional maintenance of a 4x4.
Back in the day, I did own 2 F series 4x4's for camping and stuff, but those days are long gone.
Now, all I need is the truck itself, I expect to take delivery on Jan. 15, it's been a long wait...

OP
OP
Nutty 5.0

Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Using this as an update of the progress and what we’ve done with it as 1,000 mile update. As of today it’s at 1,504 miles.

Notes on when truck came home that I didn’t note before:
  • Washer fluid and oil full.
  • Tires were at 43 cold all the way around. No big deal as I check it when I get home and adjusted down.
  • Leftmost rear back up sensor often giving ghost alarms when nothing is there. Cleaned but persisted. Removed and inspected; cleaned throughly. Seemed better but would often give tone and visual when a front sensor was acting up. Finally swapped both rear outer sensors and has been fine for a few weeks
  • Rear seat upper catch takes hard slam: will be adding washers but we haven’t used it much so have not had time
  • 87 octane on all fuel ups from Tier 1 stations; last tank was filled by me with 93 octane. SOP feel by wife said the same but haven’t checked Fuelly with her yet to see anything notable there.

Upgrades:
No major water or leaks noted when we had a lot of rain. Prop rod clips breaking are the only issue and that’s from trying to get on rail. Not the prop rod.

• Tinted front windows 35%
Negatives so far:
  • Someone at wife’s work hit their door into her passenger door. No scratches but dent is there. Nobody left a note. :facepalm: Having my PDR friend fix next week and hope document.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nutty 5.0

Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Installed LED rear tag bulbs. The rear sensors out of bumper pics for reference.
E02C7597-74EE-40AE-A5BF-6B4DC2BE20D7.jpeg
3DDE645D-5810-499F-8619-F8EA54A2BB63.jpeg

OP
OP
Nutty 5.0

Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Dave did the LED plate bulbs help the glare on the backup camera?
Good question but only had the originals in for the first tank of gas and it hadn't even seen any night driving. Assuming that’s what your asking? Sorry, not much help but will ask the wife if she’s noticed any glare.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Dave did the LED plate bulbs help the glare on the backup camera?
I have not found a glare issue. I use the Guidelines and screen solely when backing up. I am so used to it. I rarely turn my head around. The mirrors and The excellent reverse screen is great. I have the aftermarket LEDs in the License. No problem with the sensors.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Thanks Tom, my screen is pretty blurry and the plate lamps make it worse. I read here somewhere that the leds have less glare on camera but I cant find it. I will give them a shot. Thanks Bret

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I picked it up today minus the wife. I mean, she didn’t divorce me! She had to run to Delaware for horse blankets. So did the paperwork and brought it home. She isn’t back yet but have been cleaning and taking care of everything but set to up the phone for her.

No Ranger script on the front seats which I’m ok with. Confirmed no passenger nips for front passenger seat floor mat. Engine cover is present. It does have two map holders behind each front seat. Is that normal? Thought there was only one.

Yeah, I know: Pics or it didn’t happen. :rockon:
nice to see the XLT is coming with the engine cover for 2020 good move Ford. I happen to like the Ranger script on the back of the seat. I guess it was too expensive for Ford to keep going with that

OP
OP
Nutty 5.0

Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That’s great the XLT now comes with the cover. Figured they would drop it like they did with the 12+ Focus only in the higher trim first year and then abandoned it. Still present on our Lariat. :like:
Sponsored