Towing Package: It's more than just a hitch and some wires.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
In all of Ford's marketing material, they state that the Ranger can tow 7,500 lbs *when equipped with the towing package*.

My question is, if the truck doesn't come with the towing package and you add an aftermarket hitch, what is the tow rating? If there isn't an upgraded radiator and axle ratio like on the Expedition and other models, is it just up to the rating of the hitch that you install?
yes. the bumper hitch is rated at something like 3000 so without the towing package that's your limit unless you add something else.
Sponsored

BRanger

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 301a XLT Cactus Grey
I was planning on adding a 2" receiver hitch. Would I have to replace the entire metal bumper? If not, just by adding a 2" receiver hitch, and not just a ball in the bumper, I should be able to tow the advertised 7,500 lbs?

OP
OP
HenryMac

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I was planning on adding a 2" receiver hitch. Would I have to replace the entire metal bumper? If not, just by adding a 2" receiver hitch, and not just a ball in the bumper, I should be able to tow the advertised 7,500 lbs?
If the hitch you buy is rated at or in excess of 7,500 lbs no worries. Most aftermarket hitches hang down under the bumper and you don't need to change anything regarding the factory bumper.

However, the factory set-up moves the receiver up, that's why the bumper center section is different.. as was discussed previously.

Factory vs Aftermarket Hitch.jpg

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
you don't need to replace the bumper. the OEM receiver replaces the black plastic trim pieces but uses the same painted bumper. the aftermarket ones usually just mount under the bumper. tow rating will depend on what you get, but most seem to hit the 7500 number. some may actually be rated higher, but the truck itself isn't.

RangerFropa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
In all of Ford's marketing material, they state that the Ranger can tow 7,500 lbs *when equipped with the towing package*.

My question is, if the truck doesn't come with the towing package and you add an aftermarket hitch, what is the tow rating? If there isn't an upgraded radiator and axle ratio like on the Expedition and other models, is it just up to the rating of the hitch that you install?
Yes, the tow rating would be determined by the aftermarket hitch's rating and proper installation. The stock motor and transmission do not need any upgrades to achieve that 7500 lbs number with the OEM.

The towing package really should have been standard, especially considering how little difference in parts there is. That's not to say swapping out the hitch after the fact is trivial....

Washashore

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SCab Lariat 4x4

Yes,

The selected aftermarket hitch determines the tow rating

- Draw-Tite /Reese/U Haul rates their hitch @ 7500 lbs w/ 1125 lbs tongue weight
- Curt rates their hitch @ 6000 lbs w/ 900 lbs tongue weight..

It has been discussed before on the forum that cooling capacity, braking, etc is the same whether your Ranger comes with or without the tow package from the factory.

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Something I just noticed today and thought I would share. The rear bumper center section is different when your truck has the factory tow package.

It's modified to move the hitch receiver up higher, thus giving the truck a better rear approach angle.

Well done Ford. I'm surprised they don't make of note of this on shop.ford.com?

"The Trailer Tow Package increases the Ranger towing rating and includes hitch receiver and 4/7-pin connector."

Factory vs Aftermarket Hitch.jpg

Without Tow Package.JPG
With Tow Package.JPG
correct me if im wrong its hard for me to tell but is that just a center piece or is the entire bumper different?

OP
OP
HenryMac

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
correct me if im wrong its hard for me to tell but is that just a center piece or is the entire bumper different?
Just the center piece of the bumper. Pretty slick the way Ford designed the bumper to make the center piece replaceable.

Check out the attachment below, and the screen grab for a visual.

Something I just noticed today and thought I would share. The rear bumper center section is different when your truck has the factory tow package
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/attachments/2019_cmy_ranger_trailer_hitch-pdf.24812/

Hitch Parts.jpg

Last edited:

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
ah cool I figured it was something like that. My mom's Toyota FJ Cruiser is like that. She ordered the tow package afterwards and I put it on, it came with a different center piece pretty much the same idea. Very cool.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
What did you do with the non-towing package bumper/hitch?
I worked out a deal with my buddy at a local dealer because it was only about 2 weeks old when i did the swap.:like:

lobsta11

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4 magnetic grey, 302A & tech pkg. 2019 is gone. XLT super cab, ingot silver, 302a, tow & tech packages
If the truck is not equipped with the towing package, does the tranny have the tow mode?

OP
OP
HenryMac

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
If the truck is not equipped with the towing package, does the tranny have the tow mode?
Yes... the software is thee as is the button on the console. You can still tow with the truck using the bumper.

reidmefirst

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Computer stuff
Old thread but I wanted to ask a question: how long did it take to install the OEM tow package?

And a second question: do you know whereabouts I could find the instructions for doing the wiring part of the tow package?

I just bought a used ranger. It came with a Reese class III hitch (8000 pounds rating). It seems fine, though was a little odd that I had to file the corners of my 2" ball mount until it fit. I'm debating whether to go OEM or stick with what I've got and figure out how to add a 7 pin harness (seems there are cheap options out there, like etrailer has a 'T' connector that is under a hundred bucks). I do like to go OEM if I can since it looks cleaner, but if it takes a lot of hours and costs a fortune then the $70 7-pin retrofit and living with a slightly lower receiver might be The Way ;-).

Jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 XLT SuperCrew 4x2. Former '21 SuperCab Owner
The wiring with the eTrailer Kit is exactly what you want, but the connector it comes with is dumb as it isn't the right one for the rear bumper cutout. I ordered the eTrailer wiring, the correct connector, and then sold the "dumb" one in a yard sale. As a bonus with the etrialer setup, you also get to keep the four flat connector that's under the bumper. It works exactly like it should and no one would ever see that it isn't a ford kit as far as the wiring goes.

The connector just installs inline along the driver's side rear frame rail. The only issue I had was that I had to bend the clips out of the OEM style plug to get it to fit because it's sized to pop into a metal bracket, but there is plastic there too.

RangerPNW

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
Old thread but I wanted to ask a question: how long did it take to install the OEM tow package?

And a second question: do you know whereabouts I could find the instructions for doing the wiring part of the tow package?

I just bought a used ranger. It came with a Reese class III hitch (8000 pounds rating). It seems fine, though was a little odd that I had to file the corners of my 2" ball mount until it fit. I'm debating whether to go OEM or stick with what I've got and figure out how to add a 7 pin harness (seems there are cheap options out there, like etrailer has a 'T' connector that is under a hundred bucks). I do like to go OEM if I can since it looks cleaner, but if it takes a lot of hours and costs a fortune then the $70 7-pin retrofit and living with a slightly lower receiver might be The Way ;-).
I did the OEM one, and it took the better part of a day. The hitch integrates tightly with the bumper so you'll need to disassemble it and reassemble with the new hitch. There are a lot of pins that you'll need to coax out, as the bumper assembly really isn't intended to be taken back apart. Once you get everything apart, provided you didn't destroy the clips, it goes together pretty easily. Just some adjustments to account for the bumps/bruises the new hitch assembly suffered during shipping. Overall its pretty straight forward, but it will take some time and patience. I would recommend as well doing it while you've got warm weather. My dad and I did this in the winter, and it wasn't fun...

Wiring wise, i picked up the OEM harness for the tow package, it just goes in place of the original. Its very much the easiest part of this whole thing. It all clips together with zero guesswork.

In all honesty, unless you want the appearance of the oem one or the extra clearance it offers, just stick with what you've got and get the Ford harness.
Sponsored