Oil filter change

bikepike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
This is probably a stupid question but I took my ranger to my friends garage for an oil change and to avoid arguements here he installed a questionable brand of filter that I’d like to change. I’m assuming I’d have to drain all the oil out before I can swap filters, but a part of me was thinking the filter sits higher than the oil pan and I can maybe do a quick swap. Any advice here
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
You'll only loose the oil that's in the filter...don't worry...

btsmith52

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger, 2016 Ford Fusion
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
I don't love Fram, but there's a lot scarier stuff out there.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
This is probably a stupid question but I took my ranger to my friends garage for an oil change and to avoid arguements here he installed a questionable brand of filter that I’d like to change. I’m assuming I’d have to drain all the oil out before I can swap filters, but a part of me was thinking the filter sits higher than the oil pan and I can maybe do a quick swap. Any advice here
Put an empty catch can under the oil filter drain trough, then after you replace the filter you'll no about how much oil you'll need to add. ;)

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Or if the oil is new... drain it into a clean pan... then put it back in?
Yeah, that's just bad advice. There's gravel and filth in the plastic drain trough.

OP
OP

bikepike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
It’s an ultra platinum fram. Not bad but I have motorcrafts laying around that I’d rather use. I was just curious if there would be a tsunami of oil the second I turn the filter loose. Yes I’ll use a drain pan and have extra oil on hand worst case. I wont be arguing about which filter I should use

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
It’s an ultra platinum fram. Not bad but I have motorcrafts laying around that I’d rather use. I was just curious if there would be a tsunami of oil the second I turn the filter loose. Yes I’ll use a drain pan and have extra oil on hand worst case. I wont be arguing about which filter I should use
I too wouldn't want to get into an argument over oil filters but if it was me, I would the Fram alone and change it out at the next oil change.
Sponsored