Is a DIY (Do It Yourself) oil/filter change worth it ?

MikeyB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Sorry if this post doesn't belong here, but I figured I would ask here since it's a oil related thread.
I checked my oil yesterday and saw that the oil is really black, I mean in all my years tinkering with and doing oil changes in all my vehicles, for the low miles I got on my truck-just under 2000 miles, it kind of blew me away on how dirty it looks.
I'm at 60% oil life left according to my app on my phone and its recommending a oil change at 2300 miles, which I plan on doing earlier, say at 2000 miles.
Honestly, for the time being I don't use the truck that much, I'm averaging only 40 miles per week back and forth to work, except for a occasional trip on the highway for wherever I'm going.
I got the truck last October, so the weather's been not so hot, literally.
I'm planning on putting in Synthetic, I got a good deal on the Wallyworld 12 qt. box, good for 2 oil changes.
So, a question please, for the turbo familiar people, Not that much of a big deal as to the color of the oil? This is my first turbo powered anything. Thanks
Sponsored

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
if i had a dealer in my area that was trust worthy, i would let them do the oil changes. but i dont. the dealer closest to me is huge but the service center behind it is just as big. its like a train station. i cannot bring anything to them though. I took my 4g to them for the airbag recall. they did not put the dash back together correctly, and the service advisor tried to rip me off. he told me i desperately needed an oil change since it was black, that i needed wipers and a new belt. I may have said this before but literally changed the oil myself not 100 miles before going in for the air bags. changed the belt too. still had the old one tossed behind the seat as a back up. so that sealed it for me . they are a shady shop and i will never take anything to them for service, or any of the other locations they have. if the truck needs something more than i can do myself or more than i want to pay the shop i trust it will be for sale or traded in. as far as im involved fords have no warranty when you cannot trust the dealer.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Sorry if this post doesn't belong here, but I figured I would ask here since it's a oil related thread.
I checked my oil yesterday and saw that the oil is really black, I mean in all my years tinkering with and doing oil changes in all my vehicles, for the low miles I got on my truck-just under 2000 miles, it kind of blew me away on how dirty it looks.
I'm at 60% oil life left according to my app on my phone and its recommending a oil change at 2300 miles, which I plan on doing earlier, say at 2000 miles.
Honestly, for the time being I don't use the truck that much, I'm averaging only 40 miles per week back and forth to work, except for a occasional trip on the highway for wherever I'm going.
I got the truck last October, so the weather's been not so hot, literally.
I'm planning on putting in Synthetic, I got a good deal on the Wallyworld 12 qt. box, good for 2 oil changes.
So, a question please, for the turbo familiar people, Not that much of a big deal as to the color of the oil? This is my first turbo powered anything. Thanks
some oils are darker than others and it is no problem. i recall my factory oil when new looked darker than what i was used to. with low miles like that it most likely is fine. but, you will feel better and feel safer about it after changing it. id say change it just to have the knowledge that the oil is new and things are good to go if you already got new oil waiting.

MikeyB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
some oils are darker than others and it is no problem. i recall my factory oil when new looked darker than what i was used to. with low miles like that it most likely is fine. but, you will feel better and feel safer about it after changing it. id say change it just to have the knowledge that the oil is new and things are good to go if you already got new oil waiting.
All I need to know, thanks
Sponsored