First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Fumotos are amazing. No mess, no oil on your hands or the floor. I have them on two late model Subarus. If you want an easy oil change experience, get a Subaru and use a Fumoto. No need to jack up our Crosstrek or Forester, and the oil filter is right on top of the engine next to the oil fill.

I don't do the oil changes on the Ranger. I can't be bothered with the dumb filter location. I go to Bend Ford's express lane, walk across the street for lunch and come back 30 mins later for the truck.
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I can't be bothered with the dumb filter location.
I really don't get the hate for the oil filter location. I've changed a lot of oil in my years and the Ranger is one of the better vehicles I've worked on - the location is very easy to get to - 3 little plastic push pins and fold a flap down and its right in your face - almost as easy as on top of the engine.

What I REALLY hate are ones with the "fiber" pans that you have to remove - THOSE are a royal PITA to remove and reinstall. And most Subarus seem to have those (as well as our C-Max).

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I really don't get the hate for the oil filter location. I've changed a lot of oil in my years and the Ranger is one of the better vehicles I've worked on - the location is very easy to get to - 3 little plastic push pins and fold a flap down and its right in your face - almost as easy as on top of the engine.

What I REALLY hate are ones with the "fiber" pans that you have to remove - THOSE are a royal PITA to remove and reinstall. And most Subarus seem to have those (as well as our C-Max).
We obviously have a different history of vehicles we work on :)

The last two generation Subarus (they are all the same regardless of model) have no fiber pan or flap and locate the filter on the top of the engine.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

Same here...at first, I thought it was in an impossible position but having done it over 20 times, it is probably the easier of all of my other vehicles...maybe it's because of the leveling that created extra space to reach into the wheel well but the filter removal and replacement takes less than a few minutes...draining all of the oil is what takes the longest...

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2020 Escape AWD Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
I change my own oil and filter and it seems very simple with 3 push pins out, spin off the filter and install new filter. I do have the 2 1/2 inch level lift and that gives the clearance needed for easy access. I can slide under the truck also because of the lift. My advanced experience (age) is beginning to factor in now with sore muscles but I can keep doing it for some time to come. :whew:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Fill it while it drains to save time too. Really push the old oil out.
I can pour in 10 quarts and be able to skip the next oil change... ?

Old NaCl

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger 2X4
Occupation
Mechanical Designer
The ranger is in 3rd for worst location for an oil filter of the models I've worked with
Buick century and Nissan rogue top it. I find the armada easier than the ranger

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
God helps the uninformed if they read our posts on here and think we are serious.
What're you talking about Derek? The advice on this forum are gold...we should be paid! ?

OregonRangerTremor

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 ChargerDaytona
Occupation
Retired LEO/Dog Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I just did my first oil change this past Monday. I am looking into this for personal reasons as I am not

I just did my first oil change this past Monday FYI. I have some mobility issues at times and having access to the oil filter from below would make it easier for me. Also put on the Fumoto drain valve so the next change will be easier and more convenient.
Which model # Fumoto valave did you install and did you need to add their extension first? Thanks

OregonRangerTremor

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired LEO/Dog Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
Fumoto for the Ranger's is the F107SX. It is designed to fit in the recessed notch that the OE drain plug sits in.
A regular type Fumoto won't fit properly as there isn't enough room in the notch/recess to screw it in properly.
I have the F107SX, via Amazon, around $31-$32, and it works perfectly. Been using Fumotos on all my vehicles for a lot of years, and never had a problem .
Thanks for the part#. So you do not believe the extension sleeve is necessary?

OregonRangerTremor

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired LEO/Dog Trainer
Vehicle Showcase

Do you need to remove the front wheel to get easy access to the filter? Thanks