First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX SuperCab
Occupation
flight instructor
why do almost all cars today have an automatic up and down on the front door windows, or like the ranger on the driver's side only, and the '19 tacoma didn't have it at all? how much does that switch cost?
Sponsored

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Funny, nobody has mentioned the tailgate thingy and yet, we now have a six page Seinfeld thread...:angel:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Funny, nobody has mentioned the tailgate thingy and yet, we now have a six page Seinfeld thread...:angel:
That was the ONLY good thing about the Tacoma. It comes with the damper integrated into the taillights. I never new there was such a thing until the first time I lowered my tailgate on it. I was I love! ??

dokkerdam

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX SuperCab
Occupation
flight instructor
there's a $35 damper kit for the ranger. ford makes it and there are probably aftermarket makers as well. it includes a ram and two brackets and installs in minutes.

that begs the question of why did ford leave this off. even for marketing and sales and as something the salesperson can show a prospective buyer how many extra trucks could have sold and repaid ford to install these on all the rangers.

come on ford. you can't take it with you.

dipstick jim

p.s. henry was a cheap fuck but he did create a foundation that did wonderful things. edsel was a gentlement and was driven to an early grave by his tyrannical father. and don't get me started on henry' antisemitism

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
IMAG2358.jpg

OK This is my 1999 Taco that still looks brand new. 147,000 miles on it. I have or almost always had 3 vehicles. The toyota, my Yamaha FZ6 and a Ford Fusion Hybrid. I traded the Fusion on my Ranger and really love it. I still have the taco and will probably never get rid of it. It has the 3.4L V6 and hauls ass. That being said I love my Ranger and it's so much easier towing my tent trailer. I probably will never get rid of it either. The old taco's were great and from what I gather the new ones are not so good. Everyone has there own opinion.
Brings back memories. I had the same model year in dark blue. Mine was the 4 cyl with the five speed. Not much power. I had it when I moved to ATL in 2001. In the next year, the truck was side swiped in a parking lot, I was rear ended, and hit head on in a turning lane (thankfully low speed). Also, in the time I owned it, it was broken into twice. I got all the damage fixed and sold it before it killed me!

Last edited:

Retired1sg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Camry SE, 2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Retired Military
I've never really understood the "brand loyalty" schtick when it comes to car shopping. I owned a 2007 Mitsubishi Raider. Loved that thing. Had a front bench seat and that alone was awesome. Yeah, it was just a dakota with a different grill and some body accent plastic pieces but it also had a better warranty than the dakota so that and the bench seat sold me on it. Did it make me want to go out and buy a fleet of random Mitsubishi sedans? No.

When shopping for a mid-size truck this time, I knew it would come down to the Tacoma or the Ranger. I had a 2016 4cyl 4x4 colorado as a company vehicle. It was a dog. Unless I floored it I feared for my life whenever pulling out into traffic. I could have rollerskated on gravel faster than that thing accelerated. And the seat felt like sitting on a wooden plank covered in felt. So i knew that was a no-go. I liked the frontier when my friend had one in 2010. In 2021 it's just dated and old.

When deciding on the tacoma or ranger it really just came down to comfort. The tacoma to me looks like they had a pretty good design and then people just kept adding plastic parts to the body. It looks like a create-a-car in a video game. And the driving position is just weird. I can't really explain it other than it felt like sitting in a go cart. When I test drove the ranger I immediately fell in love with the seat. It just felt good. I'm a short fat guy so it was almost like they built it especially for short fat guys it fit me that perfectly. It seemed to have some get up and go and since I live in the suburbs in the south and I'll most likely never see snow and don't drive off road the FX2 package gave me the feeling of having a 4x4 without having to pay 2k extra for that one time in the next ten years I may have to put it in 4wd.

All in all, had the tacoma had a better riding position, didn't look like it was designed by a five year old in minecraft, and had post 1980s gas mileage I'd probably be driving around in one of those right now. But here in the real world I couldn't name one thing I liked about the tacoma more than the ranger except I wouldn't have to spend $500 on a spray in liner.

DrizzyDrake

First Name
Drake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy GTB, RX7 FD, soon buying a ranger
Occupation
Technician at Subaru
As with many others I was looking at Tacoma's. Well actually it went like this: 1998 4runner RHD, 2005 4runner RHD, 2005 4runner LHD, 2000 Landcruiser RHD or LHD, 2012 Tacoma, new Tacoma, dodge RAM 1500, ford f150, new Tacoma, GMC Sierra, GMC Canyon, new Tacoma, gladiator, new ranger.
(Years only to show generation, not exact years)

I landed on ranger for tow capacity, options, off road capabilities, and looks. I did want a Tacoma, but they cost too much and were too ugly imho. And I don't regret it. I'd rather get a tundra than a Tacoma. And I like mid size trucks. I've gotten lots of use out of my truck. I also work as at a shop specializing in ford and Subaru performance. And I gotta say, Ford's ain't that bad. I would say all new cars are similar in reliability.

Also 2 years ago I use to hate ford. I thought they made the worst products. Until I started looking into the ranger a little over a year ago. If you want pure reliability, get a 1998 corolla. Not any kind of truck. Just my 2¢

Calmdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 tri-pearl white
Occupation
IT Technician
and in 60years we havent learned a thing or two??
those kind of slurs will die off with the insulting breed of people of continue to use it.

continue to use it if you like, but dont teach your kids your ignorance.
There will be a whole new grip of words used, with different inferences. Geek, nerd, square, rube, cis?, het?, burber, mayo...

It'll be one thing, get co-opted, and the term will lose potency and meaning.

If you don't like the term, whatever snaps your strap-on ... Just remember that terms change over time, and the verbiage you use to disparage someone may have similar harmful effects.

I sincerely hope you warrant the pulpit you are preaching from.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
I wasn't saying that's what YOU did. I'm saying that's what the OTHER guy did.

read my post. i was leaning tacoma until i drove the ranger. then i drove the tacoma back to back with the ranger. i did this twice for both tacoma engines (big local dealership berlin toyota and berlin ford so they didn't mind).

the ranger was better in every possible way during the test drives and look over except for the bed usefulness design. who knows about reliability and resale - the ranger was new to the us in '19.

except for the larger engine in my '13 tacoma, the tacoma got worse and not better from 2002 until 2019. and and even my 2013 4.0 v6 is no longer available.

my 2002 had nicer plastics and fabric, and drove tighter like the new ranger. my 13 got super cheap inside and ugly outside. it felt flabby on the road. the '19 tacoma seemed even more plasticy inside if that was even possible.

i really felt like after owning toyotas for 15 years the truck they were offering me now was worse than the 2002. talk about resting on your laurels. the ranger was a truck for the 2020 decade. the tacoma wasn't even as good as the 2002.

and toyota is still giving political contributions to those who voted against the constitution on Jan. 6th. shame on them.

dj.
[/QUOTE

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
They are knuckleheads? Just like when watching nascar, I will root for anybody not driving a Toyota
Kyle Bush!!! And rowdy nation!!!!

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
IMAG2358.jpg

OK This is my 1999 Taco that still looks brand new. 147,000 miles on it. I have or almost always had 3 vehicles. The toyota, my Yamaha FZ6 and a Ford Fusion Hybrid. I traded the Fusion on my Ranger and really love it. I still have the taco and will probably never get rid of it. It has the 3.4L V6 and hauls ass. That being said I love my Ranger and it's so much easier towing my tent trailer. I probably will never get rid of it either. The old taco's were great and from what I gather the new ones are not so good. Everyone has there own opinion.
Had a '97 regular cab 2.7l and '99 ext cab V6 auto trans both 4wd. I really liked the 2.7l in the '97 with the manual. It came with 31x10.50 tires and would go anywhere my TJ Wranglers of the era would go. Liked the manual hubs and manual transfer case shifter because it would go into 4 low in 2wd. They were simple good trucks. I don't believe the current gen of Taco even comes close.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
... All in all, had the tacoma had a better riding position, didn't look like it was designed by a five year old in minecraft, and had post 1980s gas mileage I'd probably be driving around in one of those right now. ...
Spot on, well said.

The only thing I'd include would be if they offered the manual transmission in something other than the "Sport" model.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4

The only thing I'd include would be if they offered the manual transmission in something other than the "Sport" model.
You can get the manual in the Off Road or Pro model as well, though it's apparently pretty rare.

And yeah, the view obstructing faux hood scoop on the Sport is a big no, as if it needed something additional to make the front appear bulbous. The Off Road looks much better.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.