Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Was wondering how many came from Tacoma and why they chose the Ranger over the Tacoma.

For me, it was the barrage of issues Toyota called "a characteristic of the truck" or "They all do that" among other driveability issues with the pitiful "new" 3rd Gen Drivetrain.
Sponsored

Peter949

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Came from a Taco 06 TRD DBLCAB. Liked the truck a lot and was thinking another Tacoma but the Ranger was the better truck after extensive research. Basically drive train and MPG sealed it for me. Had great resale value and was in great working condition with 140k. Just made sense to move on just in case problems pop up.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Got rid of 17 Taco sport to the wife,she likes it. I was tired of the lack of low end torque and constant up and down shifting. I also got tired of the rear end whine they couldnt fix. I also dont miss hitting my head every time I got in the truck and also the increase in engine idle when turning the steering wheel which made it fun pulling into the garage in close quarters,they have a fix for this now. Im not totally trashing the Taco but the Ranger is a much better fit for me.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Was wondering how many came from Tacoma and why they chose the Ranger over the Tacoma.

For me, it was the barrage of issues Toyota called "a characteristic of the truck" or "They all do that" among other driveability issues with the pitiful "new" 3rd Gen Drivetrain.

That's what did it for me too! From the under powered engine,inconsistent shifting,weird driving position and the lack of cold ac I couldn't wait to get rid of my Tacoma! When we'd go on vacation I would rent a car,that's how much I hated driving it.

I've always been a Ford guy,have had 6 F-150's but needed to downsize and the Ranger wasn't available in '16. To say I'm happy now is an understatement. I actually love driving again and look for every excuse to go out and drive my Ranger. Most of my jobs are close by so I never get to really drive and enjoy it but last night I was bored and grabbed my keys and just went for a 50 mile drive. Just made me realize I have 0 regrets about my decision. :)

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Came from a 2017 TRD Pro Tacoma, cement gray color. The color was my favorite part of that truck, but all the issues previously stated in this thread are exactly why I got rid of it. I actually have a big list of problems that Tacoma had.

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
had a 2015 Pre Runner V6 crew cab.
I was OK with it but like many I found it lacking, especially in power.
Being an "old Guy" with more mended bones and other heath issues that I care to go into, I bought a service package. Now MOST Ford dealers have a Quick Lane for routine service, being a Ford Guy I am intimately familiar with Quick Lanes and have NEVER waited more than 1 hour when I encountered one super busy. Toyota on the other hand has the exact opposite of a Quick Lane and you HAVE to make an appointment. First service I make my appointment for 9 AM and I arrive 15 minutes early. I check the Taco in with the Service Writer and he asks me if I want to use the shuttle to take me home while they service my truck, I said you want to take me 30 miles away and pick me up later? They showed me to the big comfy waiting area with GIANT screen TV and popcorn and sodas. I check after 1 hour and my truck is EXACTLY where I parked it, I see the service writer and he explains that they are backed up and asks my patience. Another hour later, same song and dance. At the third hour I ask why did I have to make an appointment and remind him that my appointment was for 3 hours prior and I received a snotty "Everyone here has an appointment" and I replied "AT 9 AM!?!" Jackalope turned his back on me. So I beelined to the front and demand THE Manager, the HMFIC! The manager wants to know what my complaint is and I tell him through clenched teeth. 30 minutes later my truck was ready with the solemn promise that this will NEVER happen again. 5000 miles later, new appointment same bullshit run around. After an hour I get the Manager, yes he remembers me and after a protracted apology I get my truck, 2.5 hours wasted. 5000 miles later I took the truck to my Friendly Ford Dealer and Traded it on an Explorer Sport.
I never intend to have anything to do with Toyota, BTW there are 3 Toyota dealers in my area and they all have big comfy waiting rooms with giant TVs and popcorn machines and a shit load of customers waiting hours for routine service...
BTW, my current Ford Dealer doesn't have a Quick Lane; so I make an appointment, show up on time and I am on my way in less than an hour...

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
when I was in the market for a mid sized truck almost 3 years ago. the Tacoma was the best option. build quality, outdated interior and poor resale value were deal breakers for me when looking at the canyon and Colorado. although I still hated the seating position, drive train, engine noise, cramped interior and rear leg room of the Tacoma. the good resale value was the deciding factor on why I perfered it. the more I drove it the more those annoyances began to irritage me. then along came the Ranger. It was much more livable truck in every way and regretting not getting a 4x4 in my Tacoma it was time be gone with it. Haven't looked back. Only down side is the lower ground clearance and most likely lower resale value it will have. Don't regret it at all. It's a much more comfortable truck to drive and a joy its been. I could easily spend my entire weekends just driving and enjoying the 4x4 if I didn't have to spend $$ on gas.

Mick Carlson

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
when I was in the market for a mid sized truck almost 3 years ago. the Tacoma was the best option. build quality, outdated interior and poor resale value were deal breakers for me when looking at the canyon and Colorado. although I still hated the seating position, drive train, engine noise, cramped interior and rear leg room of the Tacoma. the good resale value was the deciding factor on why I perfered it. the more I drove it the more those annoyances began to irritage me. then along came the Ranger. It was much more livable truck in every way and regretting not getting a 4x4 in my Tacoma it was time be gone with it. Haven't looked back. Only down side is the lower ground clearance and most likely lower resale value it will have. Don't regret it at all. It's a much more comfortable truck to drive and a joy its been. I could easily spend my entire weekends just driving and enjoying the 4x4 if I didn't have to spend $$ on gas.
We
Came from a Taco 06 TRD DBLCAB. Liked the truck a lot and was thinking another Tacoma but the Ranger was the better truck after extensive research. Basically drive train and MPG sealed it for me. Had great resale value and was in great working condition with 140k. Just made sense to move on just in case problems pop up.
Yeah, we have a 2007 Tacoma and we really love it. It’s the Sport model 2 wheel drive (looks just like a 4wd) and it’s been a fabulous truck, but the ride is pretty dated. I was going to buy a new Tacoma because we really like ours, until I did some research and found that Toyota has done nothing to improve the ride quality, and that they’ve still got drum brakes on the back! Considering that we really need two trucks, and that I use mine as a daily driver, the Ranger was an easy choice to make. The 2.3 turbo has all of the towing power I’ll need, and I can get great mileage driving it to work. I love getting into it every morning and driving it. Very happy with my choice. Also very impressed with the quality of the truck.

GrayGen

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Received Ranger September 19th. Hot Pepper Red Lariat 4x2. Locking rear axle 501 package Spray bedliner Bed extender & more
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I owned a 2004 Tacoma double cab. I bought it in 2013 and told everyone it would be the last truck I ever bought . I`m 72 years old the truck had 72,000 miles on it when I bought it it had 89000 yesterday when I sold it. It was a very very nice truck but I had trouble towing a trailer that we bought last year. I shouldn't say trouble but it had trouble going up steep grades and couldn't use cruise control at all because of the constant shifting. My stepson works as a Ford salesman and we went to look at the Ranger I really liked it but wanted all the bells and whistles cuz I'm kind of a techie guy. Convinced my wife that I wanted a Lariat she actually agreed with me so that's what we bought. Our other two cars both have push button start and I actually love not having to reach in my pocket every time I want to start the car. Simple little things please different people those were some of my requirements. I put the Tacoma for sale asking $10,750. had to sign in my driveway couple came by the next morning was interested in the truck before I knew it they offered 10-4 cash and I couldn't refuse. Sold the truck yesterday had to keep it for a few days to pick up my camper at the shop. I had a little tear in my eye watching it go cuz it really was a nice truck now I have to wait about six more weeks for my Ranger to come in. I'm making a list of things that I need to add including a redac controller and some other items. Hopefully I can get a little bit of a discount cuz my stepson works for Ford. Excited about getting the ranger, feel like a little kid at Christmas.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I owned a 2004 Tacoma double cab. I bought it in 2013 and told everyone it would be the last truck I ever bought . I`m 72 years old the truck had 72,000 miles on it when I bought it it had 89000 yesterday when I sold it. It was a very very nice truck but I had trouble towing a trailer that we bought last year. I shouldn't say trouble but it had trouble going up steep grades and couldn't use cruise control at all because of the constant shifting. My stepson works as a Ford salesman and we went to look at the Ranger I really liked it but wanted all the bells and whistles cuz I'm kind of a techie guy. Convinced my wife that I wanted a Lariat she actually agreed with me so that's what we bought. Our other two cars both have push button start and I actually love not having to reach in my pocket every time I want to start the car. Simple little things please different people those were some of my requirements. I put the Tacoma for sale asking $10,750. had to sign in my driveway couple came by the next morning was interested in the truck before I knew it they offered 10-4 cash and I couldn't refuse. Sold the truck yesterday had to keep it for a few days to pick up my camper at the shop. I had a little tear in my eye watching it go cuz it really was a nice truck now I have to wait about six more weeks for my Ranger to come in. I'm making a list of things that I need to add including a redac controller and some other items. Hopefully I can get a little bit of a discount cuz my stepson works for Ford. Excited about getting the ranger, feel like a little kid at Christmas.
Trust me - the wait will be worth it and you will love your new Ranger. The push button start is a really nice feature. I've gotten used to it and it is REALLY nice not to have to reach in to get your keys every time you want to get into the truck or start it. Adaptive cruise is another killer feature for me that I use all the time. And of course right up there in the killer features department is the turbo! It is so nice to have power on tap when needed, without having to wind the crap out of the motor. This truck just accelerates effortlessly.

Anyway, good luck on your wait but I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

BcP28

First Name
Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F150, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Occupation
Engineer
I also came from a 2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road. I liked the appeal of a modern, rugged and reliable small pickup with a manual transmission. I had my local dealer order me the truck I wanted. I had it for a little over two years, and put 52,000 miles on it. The truck didn't have any catastrophic issues, but between the squeaks and rattles, the gutless and inefficient powertrain, and uncomfortable interior, I found myself no longer enjoying driving it. I didn't hate it or think it was a terrible truck, but certainly didn't love it.

I had been keeping my eye on the Ranger since Ford announced it was returning to the US. I had a chance to drive a prototype truck back in October last fall and really liked what I drove. Fast forward 8-months, and I found the truck I wanted to buy. I found an XLT 302A FX4 with the LT tire and haven't looked back since. I love the powertrain in the truck, so much so, that I don't miss the manual trans (although I will say that this truck would be perfect with a manual :) ). The seats and driving position are so much more comfortable, it's quieter, and the technology in the truck make it feel a lot more modern. I'm getting much better fuel economy and don't feel like I've lost any capability or made any trade-offs with the Ranger. I'm very happy with it so far!

IMG_20181121_1130503_2.jpg
IMG_20190622_1422401.jpg

Last edited:

BcP28

First Name
Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F150, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Occupation
Engineer
And of course right up there in the killer features department is the turbo! It is so nice to have power on tap when needed, without having to wind the crap out of the motor. This truck just accelerates effortlessly.
I second this statement!

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I had a '99 and '09 Tacoma. Looked and test drove the '19. I wasn't impressed at all. The same exact boring no power, low seating, basic same style as my '09., The tech was still awful.
I took the Ranger out for a test ride and in 100 ft I knew this was the truck for me.
Yes, the fit and finish on mine and many of our trucks aren't quite the Tacoma but just about everything else shines over a Tacoma.

Peter949

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Just like you I wasn't too happy about the fit and finish also but got over it. My first vehicle with leather and power seats helped also.

Chuckitall

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
I bought a 19 Tacoma Sport in Nov 18 and put 10000 miles on it. Bluetooth didn’t work, nobody could understand me. Other than that no problems. I kept reading about the Ranger and decided to drive one in June. it was so more peppy and inside was more modern. Went to Ford dealer I have 4 trucks from, he took to every one on the lot. Found a Magnetic XLT sport. I told them I will buy it, but going out of here any deeper in dept. They offered me a great trade in price and came down $5000 on the Ranger. When it done I was only 1000 deeper in debt. I liked that it 2 inches shorter for garage parking, the seats are way better.
Sponsored