First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I tried... my last post there for a long time to come now..

I like to see improvements, not a fanboy of any brand. If I offended anyone "post trolls" by pointing out what I felt would be improved on the Tacoma, I'm sure there is a "SAFE SPACE" or "SENSORY" room here on TW for you.

The moment I called out diff in power, ride, comfort, features or anything that is a tangible improvement, I get the nonsense posts. Have something of value to add next time.

Thread...
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...uble-cab-6-off-road-4x4.627949/#post-21483815
I lurk there once in a while and have only posted once since I bought my Ranger. The responses to your post are common there and nothing has changed since I joined there back in early 2015. The textbook responses over there are "Ford Sucks" and a bunch of dumb memes.

I too like that there is more competition in the mid size truck market as it will keep all the manufactures on their toes and keep improving their product. One main thing that turned my off from Toyota for ever is the way corporate handled my situation. I'm not going to get into it but lets just say it was basically a take it or leave it attitude from them and this was a supervisor!
Sponsored

Ranger Danger

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger FX-4 Off-Road BLK PKG Cactus Gray
Occupation
Stay at home puppy daddy
I lurk there once in a while and have only posted once since I bought my Ranger. The responses to your post are common there and nothing has changed since I joined there back in early 2015. The textbook responses over there are "Ford Sucks" and a bunch of dumb memes.

I too like that there is more competition in the mid size truck market as it will keep all the manufactures on their toes and keep improving their product. One main thing that turned my off from Toyota for ever is the way corporate handled my situation. I'm not going to get into it but lets just say it was basically a take it or leave it attitude from them and this was a supervisor!
I agree 100% ...I expect more I guess.

I wouldn't blast someone showing off the "NEW" VW pickup, or Nissan Frontier on here if they owned a Ranger, and chose one of those instead, I want to know why. I drove that Tacoma for over a year, and had an objective view. Not like I just test drove it.
Not gonna make comments like "Have you done meth" "So have you done meth?" "That's Ugly" "It's gonna blow up after 25Kmiles"...give me a break. I would understand if I never owned a Tacoma, or if I had bad mouthed the truck on everything. It's a truck, it has flaws, just relax. I hope Ford hears our wants as the Ranger will need to evolve to keep up, or lead the pack.

Best comment I heard is below;

Nothing actually wrong with the Tacoma transmission, it just operates different than most. When you figure it out it really shines, if you don't want to bother and just wish it drove like every thing else you're SOL.

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

I wouldn't blast someone showing off the "NEW" VW pickup, or Nissan Frontier on here if they owned a Ranger, and chose one of those instead, I want to know why. I drove that Tacoma for over a year, and had an objective view. Not like I just test drove it.
Not gonna make comments like "Have you done meth" "So have you done meth?" "That's Ugly" "It's gonna blow up after 25Kmiles"...give me a break. I would understand if I never owned a Tacoma, or if I had bad mouthed the truck on everything. It's a truck, it has flaws, just relax. I hope Ford hears our wants as the Ranger will need to evolve to keep up, or lead the pack.

Nothing actually wrong with the Tacoma transmission, it just operates different than most. When you figure it out it really shines, if you don't want to bother and just wish it drove like every thing else you're SOL.
That last comment sounds like Apple's justification for their antenna issue many years ago "You are holding it wrong". :) Nothing like blaming your users/customers for bad design.

808matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Sport Package, 2015 f450 Bucket Truck

They’re all saying they rather have an NA engine as it will last longer but yet so much of the want that OVtune? TT or sc their truck

Roofhopper

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
HVAC Service Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Never had a Ford frame rust and break in half on me... I also don’t recall a time where Ford had to buy back a ton of their vehicles at 1.5X KBB value... I’m not a fanboy of any specific vehicle brand as I’ve owned and loved many different ones over the years, but I will NEVER own another Toyota truck unless I somehow get it for free lol

Ranger Danger

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Stay at home puppy daddy
From the horses mouth themselves. But the ranger is still a POS.... from what I’ve heard

FA1C2537-0633-4108-A5A9-3A4651BFF1F1.png
This is priceless and to the point...LOVE IT! Even the Tundra falls short when matched up with Ram & Ford...GMC...Chevy in engine performance and drivetrain.

Ranger Danger

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Stay at home puppy daddy
Never had a Ford frame rust and break in half on me... I also don’t recall a time where Ford had to buy back a ton of their vehicles at 1.5X KBB value... I’m not a fanboy of any specific vehicle brand as I’ve owned and loved many different ones over the years, but I will NEVER own another Toyota truck unless I somehow get it for free lol
I bought my Tacoma June/July 2018 and at Sept 2019 it had rusted all over the hood latch (was told it's not a big deal and will happen), maybe so, then I discovered small rust spots under the bed on the frame..granted here on the East Coast we don't have ideal weather or road treatments to prevent rust, but come on Toyota?!

RavenRanger19

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I never owned a Tacoma, but did own a Toyota Pick up (93) and an FJ Cruiser. I was dead set on getting a Tacoma to replace the 07 FJ (which died in an accident). I test drove a 2019 TRD and was very disappointed. It felt very sluggish, the steering was cumbersome and I felt cramped (I'm only 5'5" so me being cramped is something). In fact, the dealer I test drove with was a big guy and his leg kept bumping the shifter out of drive into manual. Since I'm short, visibility over the hood was an issue. Also, the lack of tech in the Tacoma was a negative. It might seem petty but after 13 years of only have auxiliary plug and one 12volt outlet, I wanted plugs. The Tacoma still didn't have any. The in-dash entertainment system was also lacking. I was actually very disappointed. Briefly looked at the Colorado, and honestly all those dumb Chevy commercials turned me off to that one. Drove the Ranger and it had everything I wanted. It was very difficult to get the SuperCab but the dealer was able to get one. The engine pep, tech and safety features as well as the off-road abilities sold me on the Ranger. The biggest selling point was my wife liked the feel of the Ranger better than the Tacoma (She didn't like the FJ either) I've still yet to really test it off road but in 3 weeks put over 1,000 miles on it and tried many of the features and I'm very happy I switched over. The only pet peeve I have with it so far is climate control takes a bit getting used to. I keep turning up the volume on the stereo instead of hitting the + button to increase the fan speed or temperature.

Travis11

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019Tacoma
Well, I finally made the jump. The only big thing I miss about the Tacoma was the bed height. I just don’t understand tall bed sides. Anyway, I love how the Ranger drives and the tech is also much better. Seats are way more comfortable and overall I prefer the looks of a levelled out Ranger, mine will have to wait a bit. The Tacoma was solid feeling but I just couldn’t get past the drive train.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I finally made the jump. The only big thing I miss about the Tacoma was the bed height. I just don’t understand tall bed sides. Anyway, I love how the Ranger drives and the tech is also much better. Seats are way more comfortable and overall I prefer the looks of a levelled out Ranger, mine will have to wait a bit. The Tacoma was solid feeling but I just couldn’t get past the drive train.
Hi Steve,

I will give you a bit of a back story on the tall sides of the pickup box. Ford Marketing figured out that the side profile of our trucks, Ranger and F Series were too dated and that the trend was taller box sidewalls. So Body Engineering for the Ranger, developed these crappy box rail sidepieces that extended side profile of the box by 2 inches. I took one look at these pile of crap box rail toppers and said no way, but was run over like being thrown under the bus. So these POS box side rails were put into production...Marketing driven. Most customers that purchased these trucks had the dealership remove them. What a waste of time and effort. Why did this happen? Well...Chevy announced that they had the deepest pickup box in the industry. It was a whopping ¼"...Big Whoop! Chevy measured the box depth to a "dimple" in the box floor. The real box was about ½" shallower than the Ford. Sheesh....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Travis11

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019Tacoma
Lol Phil, thx for the insight. I knew there was a reason, just didn’t know what. Honestly I would prefer 1’ fold down sides. So you could have a flat bed if needed. Less height and more tie downs for the win. Great truck, not complaining, just my one peeve I guess. I love how the Aussie’s configure their trays.