Former Tacoma Owners Club

JustSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
While not a Taco owner, my ride for the past 16 years has been a 2003 Tundra. It has 280k trouble-free miles. Honestly, if either the Tacoma or Tundra weren't so ancient, I would have likely bought one instead of a Ranger.
Sponsored

Dokkenmire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Xlt Sport Supercrew 2wd
I traded a 2019 Tacoma double cab with 1600 miles on it for my Ranger. I was getting pushed down the highway by soccer moms in SUV's because I was always trying to get decent fuel economy by not letting it downshift. The Ranger doesn't need to downshift and still gets better fuel economy.

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
I traded a 2019 Tacoma double cab with 1600 miles on it for my Ranger. I was getting pushed down the highway by soccer moms in SUV's because I was always trying to get decent fuel economy by not letting it downshift. The Ranger doesn't need to downshift and still gets better fuel economy.
dam shame they are getting away with that I tried to like one but drive ability just wasn't there!!

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
dam shame they are getting away with that I tried to like one but drive ability just wasn't there!!
Not a former Taco owner but I did test drive a 2019 Double Cab 4x2 earlier this year, I think it was the "Limited" trim level. After letting the salesperson give her spiel we hopped in for a test drive.

My first impression is that was close to impossible to get a comfortable seating position while being able to see out the windshield, I actually had to look around the rearview mirror, I am 5'8".

So off we go, I notice that the engine is lacking in low end grunt and really would not start to produce ample power until in the 3K rpm range. Also, the engine and transmission seem to be at odds with each other, the transmission protested with abrupt downshifts when coming to a stop. It was not a pleasant driving experience at all, the lack of low end torque would really be a chore in Honolulu's stop and go traffic, I honestly thought there was a 4 cyl. under the hood.

The clincher was when I asked her how come Toyota still has archaic drum brakes in the rear (even my '02 Honda CR-V has discs), her reply was that drum brakes were better suited for offroading, I pointed out to her the fact that we were in a 2 wheel drive vehicle.
What really stumped her is when I told he if what she said was true, Toyota would equip the truck with 4 wheel drum brakes.

I left that dealership, wondering just what is it that Toyota people see in the Taco, true reliability is a Toyota virtue, but to be saddled with a truck in which I cant's see out the windshield properly coupled by a woeful powertrain is unacceptable.

Can't wait for my 2020 SuperCab to get here

Dokkenmire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Xlt Sport Supercrew 2wd
Not a former Taco owner but I did test drive a 2019 Double Cab 4x2 earlier this year, I think it was the "Limited" trim level. After letting the salesperson give her spiel we hopped in for a test drive.

My first impression is that was close to impossible to get a comfortable seating position while being able to see out the windshield, I actually had to look around the rearview mirror, I am 5'8".

So off we go, I notice that the engine is lacking in low end grunt and really would not start to produce ample power until in the 3K rpm range. Also, the engine and transmission seem to be at odds with each other, the transmission protested with abrupt downshifts when coming to a stop. It was not a pleasant driving experience at all, the lack of low end torque would really be a chore in Honolulu's stop and go traffic, I honestly thought there was a 4 cyl. under the hood.

The clincher was when I asked her how come Toyota still has archaic drum brakes in the rear (even my '02 Honda CR-V has discs), her reply was that drum brakes were better suited for offroading, I pointed out to her the fact that we were in a 2 wheel drive vehicle.
What really stumped her is when I told he if what she said was true, Toyota would equip the truck with 4 wheel drum brakes.

I left that dealership, wondering just what is it that Toyota people see in the Taco, true reliability is a Toyota virtue, but to be saddled with a truck in which I cant's see out the windshield properly coupled by a woeful powertrain is unacceptable.

I'm 6'4" and I'd hit my head every time I got in my Tacoma. There was no possible way to get comfortable on long trips. I bought mine as a place holder till something better came along. They hold their value so well I figured I wouldn't lose much and I was right. I'll never go back to Toyota again though after owning this Ranger. I bought a 7 year bumper to bumper warranty and I don't care if it breaks lol.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
I'm 6'4" and I'd hit my head every time I got in my Tacoma. There was no possible way to get comfortable on long trips. I bought mine as a place holder till something better came along. They hold their value so well I figured I wouldn't lose much and I was right. I'll never go back to Toyota again though after owning this Ranger. I bought a 7 year bumper to bumper warranty and I don't care if it breaks lol.
When it comes to pickups, I've always owned Ford's with the exception of an '05 Silverado (never again) and a basket case '87 Hi Lux extended cab in which I put back together and sold.
Test driving the Taco was just to satisfy my curiosity as to just what makes it the best selling mid sized truck, of which I am entirely baffled.
Trying out the GM twins was and is entirely out of the question, the Chevy I owned was a poster child for GM's lack of quality, indeed GM bought it back because of the Lemon Law.
Ditto for the Jeep Gladiator, it's ridiculously overpriced and you could not GIVE me a FCA product.
My mind was already made up in getting a new Ranger, just wanted to see what the competition had to offer.

My brother owns a '19 Ridgeline, I've driven it and found it to be very competent, however it's styling is reminiscent of an '80's Dodge Dakota and the current Accord.

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
2002 tacoma 2005 tundra 2007 tundra. Do not miss them.

Ranger Dave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Store Manager
Sold my 2013 Tacoma I ordered new

troutspinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Add me to the list. I short term leased a 20 Tacoma Limited Double Cab and just returned it. That lease was my "test" to see if going to a mid-size vehicle from 20 years of driving full size was a good idea. It was! I felt it as a way of protecting my wallet rather than be wrong and lose my butt on a trade. Hind-sight tells me trade value would not have been an issue, especially with Covid pricing but it is what it is and I've moved forward with a buy.

Anyways, I did like that Tacoma but I looked into all of the other mid-size trucks and I just kept coming back to the Ranger for many reasons. Too many to list in the thread but maybe I'll do a write-up here on this forum making some everyday comparisons while it is fresh on my mind for people contemplating the move. In my research, I found the everyday mentions of engine, transmission, off road capability, etc. but there is so much more worth mentioning that you just can't know unless you drive them both for an extended period of time.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Well, not a former Tacoma owner, but I had the '93 Toyota extended cab 4x4 PU, 6 banger, a few years before the Taco. I loved it, it was a great truck. I sold it just a few years ago with only 60K miles on it, and only sold because it was a third car and sat most of the time and used for recreation.

I just got my Ranger as a daily driver after selling my daily driver outback, in prep for retirement.

Nothing bad to say about the Toyota, but I love my ranger.

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
i had a 2019 turd-pro offroad in that brown color-like sand. Anyhow, it was a nice truck and i knew it was slow. but then the hip pain started. i am 6'1" and it's seats have almost 0 thigh support. I ended up trading it towards a new 2020 titan pro4x. that thing was comfy but in the end, it being "too fat for the lane" as my mexican fiance would say, and with carvana offering me stupid money to buy it, i decided to let the titan go. i went a couple months and missed a truck so i bought a new fx4 ranger in cacti grey. love it. now comparing to the taco:

1)fun to drive level goes to: ranger- way faster and easier to drive.
2)comfort: ranger: no hip pain after 2+ hour trips.
3)fuel efficiency: ranger - seeing ~24mpg on average which rocks.
4)badassness: taco slightly as it look more bad ass but it's close
5)offroad chops: taco slightly mainly due to its 16" wheels/tires and maybe a slightly better suspension
6)resale: taco probably
7)longevity/durability: i think this is a tie, even though the taco is toyota, they do have issues- fuel pump recall of 2019 comes to mind.

overall the ranger is a better truck for ME. If i was living int he woods and used 4x4 on the daily, the taco might edge the ranger out but only slightly and that's becasue of stuff like tires and susp which you can change on the ranger.

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
i had a 2019 turd-pro offroad in that brown color-like sand. Anyhow, it was a nice truck and i knew it was slow. but then the hip pain started. i am 6'1" and it's seats have almost 0 thigh support. I ended up trading it towards a new 2020 titan pro4x. that thing was comfy but in the end, it being "too fat for the lane" as my mexican fiance would say, and with carvana offering me stupid money to buy it, i decided to let the titan go. i went a couple months and missed a truck so i bought a new fx4 ranger in cacti grey. love it. now comparing to the taco:

1)fun to drive level goes to: ranger- way faster and easier to drive.
2)comfort: ranger: no hip pain after 2+ hour trips.
3)fuel efficiency: ranger - seeing ~24mpg on average which rocks.
4)badassness: taco slightly as it look more bad ass but it's close
5)offroad chops: taco slightly mainly due to its 16" wheels/tires and maybe a slightly better suspension
6)resale: taco probably
7)longevity/durability: i think this is a tie, even though the taco is toyota, they do have issues- fuel pump recall of 2019 comes to mind.

overall the ranger is a better truck for ME. If i was living int he woods and used 4x4 on the daily, the taco might edge the ranger out but only slightly and that's becasue of stuff like tires and susp which you can change on the ranger.
how about price? ranger can be had way cheaper i say

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4

No doubt Toyota dropped the ball on the G3 Tacoma. The performance issues and the seat issues should have been addressed in the 2017 or 2018 models, and they have done nothing. No doubt the Tacoma reputation is based on the G2 models. BTW, my 2011 Tacoma Double Cab has none of the issues that you listed. Oh, I guess it does have the rear drum brakes, but it has no issue stopping.

On Saturday, I helped my son buy a new 21 Ranger STX Supercrew FX4. We will give the Ranger @ 1000 miles to break-in, and then we will finally get an answer to the question - is the Ranger faster than a G2 Tacoma 4x4 with the 4.0L v6. My guess is that the Ranger will win the race, but it will be close. Way closer than people on this forum want to admit. We will probably also run the Ranger against his mothers Mercedes GLC 300 SUV. That is around the same size as an Escape/Rav4 and has a turbo 4 cylinder. The Mercedes is pretty quick, so I think the Ranger will need a performance chip to complete with it.
Sponsored