What are you guys towing?

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Thanks, that's good to know. Most of the trailers we are looking at would be closer to the 7500 when fully loaded up.
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Thanks, that's good to know. Most of the trailers we are looking at would be closer to the 7500 when fully loaded up.
A lot of this depends on how often your going to be towing that weight. If you are tow that camper. Twice a year to and from a seasonal Campsite, probably OK. If you are going to do week trips or long multi site cross country tour, not advisable. Also if you are going to tow at the max rated weight you had better weight it every time you load up. If heaven forbid some thing happens and lawyers can prove you were over weight and they will try you will be liable.

That being said yes the max tow rating is 7500 lbs as said "properly equipped with a competent driver". I will add also properly set up. Even @Cav10x said he would prefer 50 mph over 65, that's a 30 mph difference between you and the rest of the vehicles on the road, doing 80. Not a safe condition.

In my opinion and an occasional tow at max weight and short distances is probably OK. More frequent longer distance tows would be better and safer done at a lower weight. I would evaluate, do I really need that big of travel trailer and how am I going to us it. Maybe a full size truck would be better.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know. 10mpg is pretty much on par with what I would expect for pulling something that heavy and in the wind. My father-in-law has a similar size and shape camper and gets around 9mpg towing it with his Silverado 1500.
My 92 F250 got 10 mpg empty or towing max load, so 10 mpg towing & 20+ mpg empty is a pretty good trade off in my opinion.

DSCN7944.JPG

DSCN5078.JPG

J Haggerty (RADAR1)

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercrew I4, 2017 Dodge Durango SXT V6, 2004 Dodge Dakota SLT V8
Occupation
Retired USAF Air Traffic Controller
We moved up from a 16' Scamp to a 19' Escape, which we picked up in Montana and are driving back to GA. Delivered weight to Montana was 3600 lbs, with a 5000 lb GVWR. We currently have about 700 lbs of cargo/ water inside.
The Ranger tows really well, and easily maintained speed up the mountain passes in Montana and NM. Bozeman pass and Raton pass were no problems at all, and it holds speed mostly well going downhill in tow/haul mode. I did use sport mode to downshift more a couple of times.
I was getting approx 17.1 mpg pulling our 3,000 lb loaded Scamp at 62 mph and I suspect I will normally get about 15-16 pulling the heavier tandem axle Escape. I mostly pulled the Escape at 65 mph since the speed limits are higher out west (80 mph most places).
The turbo performed well and the trans rarely shifted below 7th gear on the uphill passes.
We did hit some hefty winds, mostly headwinds or crosswinds and the Escape was steady. Worst mpg was 12.1 mpg calculated (Ranger gauge seems to be about 8% optimistic) into a steady 38 knot headwind (we decided to just drive 55 mph on that tank). Leaving Colorado City we drove about 100 miles and saw 20 mpg for a bit (downhill and no headwind) but that dropped to about 14.5 overall once we hit the "Gusty winds" area.
I did not use a weight distribution hitch and decided I won't need one. I will add an anti-sway bar since I like the extra bit of solidness they seem to give to the towing combo, but did not have any problems with sway at all.
IMG_20201030_090429_914.jpg

Last edited:

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Installed Redarc pro this week, towed my buddies 20 foot tandem axle trailer with his RZR on it, bed full of hunting gear, full tank of gas in truck and RZR and 3 adults, did fine. MPG took a hit but that's ok, won't be towing often. 80 minute drive to deer camp.

ztbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT w/ FX4, tow package, spary-in bed liner.
Just brought home a 2021 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104S. Dealer installed the weight distributing hitch and it towed nicely. GVWR is 6k lbs. Truck pulled OK and 65 mph wasn't a problem, though mileage on this first run was 10 mph. Hoping for better. Maybe have the wife get out and push a little.
IMG_4410.jpg
I have the 2020, great trailer. I tow it with my '19 ranger through hill country no problem. I keep it under 65 at all times, lower in bad conditions. I'm usually at 60mph and get about 10-11.5 on average. I keep a couple 5 gallon gas cans (full) in the bed on trips just in case.

One tip however: the fresh water tank is pretty far front. Don't tow it with more than 10 gallons or so in there or you'll push the tongue weight over the limit.

Last edited:

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance
I thought we'd bring the camper back out of the woods this weekend,,, but our forecast looked so good, we left it out there for another week. This NFS campground is not plowed so it must come out sometime.. Sorry my photos aren't all that exciting.
P1070360.jpg
P1070358.jpg

Jake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
16' DooLittle landscape trailer. Most I've hauled with it is a couple 2 yd loads of mulch this summer. Hoping to get a small tractor with a loader in the future to test its capabilities a bit more. Maybe even a new little equipment trailer to go with it.
20201107_115745.jpg

Whodeez

First Name
nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 saber xl stx 4x4 supercrew
Occupation
food truck owner
My 92 F250 got 10 mpg empty or towing max load, so 10 mpg towing & 20+ mpg empty is a pretty good trade off in my opinion.

DSCN7944.JPG

DSCN5078.JPG
Thats what i keep telling my Super Duty friends... i get the same milage while towing, but double them while empty.

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
wow, how long is that trailer? I'm surprised the weight is that low for a trailer that big. I might have to look at that brand

sbreech

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Nucamp Avia at Spoetzl Brewery in Shiner, Tx (still closed for tours). Weighed the rig at a truck scale. Trailer axles came in at 5500 with 40 gallons of fresh water. Tongue weight is just under 600 fully loaded.

9E25A62D-3A2C-43B6-84A5-1BB037831957.jpeg

24B42576-C4FE-4675-B899-DF0947C9BB0E.jpeg
Very nice! Welcome to the NuCamp family. They were, by far, the best quality camp trailers we could find. We bought the '21 Tab 400 Boondock back in July, and my wife and I finally got to see the Avia in person last weekend. I think you're really going to enjoy it!