Will relocating the oil filter void warranty?

ccasanova22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Tremor
With the stock oil filter being where it is, and the amount of mileage I drive, will relocating it from the wheel well with an extension kit or custom fab’d part void warranty?

Am I asking for trouble if I bring this thing in for tires or an alignment and they see the oil filter relocated?

Trying to stay within warranty but don’t want to create a headache if something fails unrelated to the filter.
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Well it kinda depends I guess. If it causes problems with the engine then yes. If not then it shouldn't.

That said where are you moving it to since there isn't much room at all. Also the drip pan works very well.

RDJTX

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger 2023 Ford Edge 1995 Cobra
Occupation
IT Demi-God
if you have a failure of anything engine related they could void you, but they will have to prove that your relocation caused the failure. anything other than engine related and you SHOULD be good. in theory

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
How do you access it without taking off the tire?
I reach right over the top of the tire.

I would say any oil related failure will be blamed on relocating the filter. Not a good idea.

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
When you park it, crank the steering all the way to the right. Then easy access to the rubber guard flap. Easy to do then...plenty of room to work/remove filter.
If you haven't done yours yet, make sure you have a drain pan under the filter location....there is a drip pan that will direct any oil the comes out of the filter/housing....if no drain pan, the excess will run onto your floor.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I have a filter socket and a long extension and just go straight in from the side, easy peasey. Taking the skid plate off to access the drain plug is more of a nuisance than the filter and it is easy too.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Agree with all the above. I have an expandable three jaw wrench with a long extension. Also replaced the PITA plastic retainers for the flap with rivnuts thumb screws to make moving the flap easier. I believe on later models they did this from the factory.

Replace the drain plug with a valve and hose, either Valvomax or Fumato, and you don't need to remove the skid plate.

When you remove the filter make sure your pan is located under the filter drain trough. It is located behind and slightly to the back of the front wheel.

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4 the black beast
Agree with all the above. I have an expandable three jaw wrench with a long extension. Also replaced the PITA plastic retainers for the flap with rivnuts thumb screws to make moving the flap easier. I believe on later models they did this from the factory.

Replace the drain plug with a valve and hose, either Valvomax or Fumato, and you don't need to remove the skid plate.

When you remove the filter make sure your pan is located under the filter drain trough. It is located behind and slightly to the back of the front wheel.
I did just that on my first oil change. Ditched the OEM plug and putin a fumoto oil valve. I keep a dedicated rubber hose that I just plug into the nipple on the oil valve when it's time to change the oil. The most difficult thing to me is remembering which direction to turn the wheel to get to the filter! I have done it both ways plus just leaving them straight (have monkey arms so no issues reaching). My oidrain hoseis long enough that I can drain the oil and pop the filter at the same time.

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
A few folks on here have replaced the plastic rivets with strong magnets so they don't have to fumble with taking those out every time they need to access the filter. I think someone else might have put rivnuts in and used thumb screws instead to hold it in place.

RangerBill

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew FX4
Occupation
retired

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
What is wrong with the filter location? It is one of the easier filters to access in my 50+ years of vehicle ownership.
This tells me you have owned vehicles with shitty oil filter locations. I have seen way better designs for the oil filter location. That said Ford did makeup and add the nice drip tray
Sponsored