Why the interior hate?

slm

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT Supercab (on order)
I'd be happy to give you mine if I didn't have to tear the truck up to get to it--it's really that useless.
:) I really was only worried about the dash mounted controls to be honest.
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
:) I really was only worried about the dash mounted controls to be honest.
Of all the stuff they removed, it's like the easiest call to make--better the prnds light next to the shifter than the passenger seat or whatever they would have cut to save money instead of the light.

WingShot

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT, Tremor, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Graphic Artist
Before I had possession of my Ranger I was aware that the interior layout and quality were among the main complaints. I went in knowing that and initially had several things I didn't like, mostly because they were just different then what I was used to. But after six weeks of driving it everyday I really can't remember what those things were. I have adapted to the difference and moved on!

Last edited:

slm

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT Supercab (on order)
It's almost like no one test drove their Ranger before buying it? :facepalm:
Well I did, several times but only during the day. I had watched some night drive videos on YouTube so I had a good sense of what it looked like but the small things that have been dropped since the 2019 model I only learned about on ranger5g.com - so I blame the forum ! :)

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Well I did, several times but only during the day. I had watched some night drive videos on YouTube so I had a good sense of what it looked like but the small things that have been dropped since the 2019 model I only learned about on ranger5g.com - so I blame the forum ! :)

It was a figure of speech. :)

But there are a lot of complaints where it makes you think some just took it for a test drive and never looked the truck over good enough. I try to go through a vehicle thoroughly but even then you do tend to miss a few things but the dash and controls are usually not one of them as they're right in front of you. lol

Last edited:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
It was a figure of speech. :)

But there are a lot of complaints where it makes you think some just took it for a test drive and never looked the truck over good enough. I try to go through a vehicle thoroughly but even then you do tend to miss a few things but the dash and controls are usually not one of them as they're right in front of you. lol
well, the issue is that none of the other midsize trucks were significantly better. ford put in exactly as much effort as they had to in order to stay mediocre. it's sad they didn't put in more effort and deliver more to lead the segment, but it is what it is. so will I be pissed and refuse to drive my ford over the weak sauce interior? no--but I'm also not going to give them a trophy just for showing up.

Zvedza

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '04 SVT Lightning, '16 ZX-10R
I have 0 complaints with my XLT Tremor interior overall, having leather/cloth (or whatever material they use) without having to go to Lariat and its imo terrible gauge cluster was nice.

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
Eh…. My 2009 jetta has soft touch plastic and still looks great. Guessing peoples miles may vary but it has 125k miles and my dashboard still looks new, no gummy sticky or tearing
I'm glad! My sister's Ranger had the soft touch coating coming off in sheets like a sunburn when we were kids. She figured it was because she used moisturizer/hand lotion every time she got behind the wheel, then immediately turned on the radio/CD. Mine was a few years older & had no such problem. The problem seemed prevalent in Ford Explorers of that era, too.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Ha. I'll be honest, I decided to buy it before I drove it, but I did drive it before I bought. But, I knew what I was getting. A 10 year old design that had a bit of a facelift for the US release, but maybe not a perfect redesign. I'm fine with it, and while I have my complaints I still love it. I can live with the warts, though none of them give me much heartburn.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My previous truck was a 92 F 250 XLT, that was the only way I could get cruise, manual A/C & power windows. No power seat & hard plastic every where. Had the jump seat that folded flat, made a shelf so pup could ride up top & plenty of storage under. So I figure if you come from a truck you don't expect a Bently as one said. O the tailgate probably out weighed the Ranger & the bed was about as high.

DSCN5094.JPG

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I test drove it and drove it hard, it was that splendid throaty engine sound that captivated me, what a powerful invigorating sound - then I found this site and so much for the authenticity of that sound, it might as well been the hiss of air escaping from my balloon.

I think Ford should have posted a sticker on the sun visor "warning the sound you are hearing is not real"

I think I'll get through it though, kind of grown to like that sound when you stomp on it.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Lot's of opinions on the interior, so here's my $0.01.

I actually like the look of the interior. IMO it's far better than the other options.
The things I don't like are what has already been said.
Climate control buttons are too small and hard to find when driving.
Lariat right cluster screen is completely useless. Doesn't display anything that isn't already on the center screen. I would much prefer an XLT cluster.
Too much hard plastic. Same in all mid-size trucks, but that still doesn't make it ok.
The saggy leather seat covers are inexcusable.

Overall, I'm hugely disappointed in the interior (& interior options) available in all mid-sized trucks.
This segment is getting ripped off and is 10yrs behind what you get in other segments.....for the same $$ or even less.
Sponsored