First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
That’s too bad. I have a buddy that has a Taco and he said we can always shine together! He even likes some aspects of my Ranger over his ?.
Have a talented older machinist where I work that has a Trd pro. He wanted a tour of the Ranger. His only words were, “Very Impressive, I might have made the wrong choice.”

I offered to buy him lunch. No, not tacos!

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
The only experiences I have had with Tacoma owners are that for some odd reason they keep trying to get me to race them. This has happened on numerous different occasions both on surface streets but on the freeway as well. They start yelling and waving revving engines or lurching forward anything to get my attention... They get so mad when I don't take them up on their challenges, and just look over at them and shake my head in that what a dumbass kind of fashion.

For the life of me I cannot fathom why they keep doing this. There's absolutely nothing about my truck that says, "hey douche! Wanna race?"

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
Keyboard warriors. 90% of the Tacoma owners i've met don't even know how to use their trucks off road or know how to use any of the fancy off road gadgets that their trucks come with. My coworker bought one a year ago and I asked him if his came with a locker and he had this clueless look on his face, yet he had it lifted and 35s installed. Will probably never see dirt

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Keyboard warriors. 90% of the Tacoma owners i've met don't even know how to use their trucks off road or know how to use any of the fancy off road gadgets that their trucks come with. My coworker bought one a year ago and I asked him if his came with a locker and he had this clueless look on his face, yet he had it lifted and 35s installed. Will probably never see dirt
Reminds me of this scene.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
They will say that once again Toyota is leading the industry and they were waiting until their 4 cylinder turbo was perfect before releasing it.

And it will probably still have drum brakes in the rear.

That will be the conversation to watch if they go to discs after the fanbois have been defending the superiority of drum brakes forever.
Wait Dr. Zaius... I thought the great apes liked drum brakes? Are you telling us you have evolved?

AZRanger

First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
I fix Pink jeeps
I like Toyota’s. Things they build just make sense. My 4Runner is 240k miles and going strong. However the 3rd gen Tacoma is not one of those things. Severely underpowered. Drum brakes. Looks the same as the previous generation. Already has more issues than any other Toyota suv/truck. When I shopped for a new truck I thought “why limit myself because of brand?”. So I bought the zoom zoom truck with every feature a Tacoma has and more.

Calmdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 tri-pearl white
Occupation
IT Technician
Figured it was a work thing. They are good tools. There's a reason so many departments use them.
There's a lot of Glock Scientologists out there as well, and some people think that because they can get an aftermarket slide that matches their shoes, that that particular gun is the one for them.

And they're right. It is for them. I own 3 Sigs, and I'm not a fanboy. They just do what I need them to do.

When I was in England, I got tired of being in the car of the month club, so I looked at what the taxi drivers used. Ford Mondeo's and Nissan Primera's. I bought a Mondeo on the basis that the wife also had a Fiesta that we picked up for cheap that was pretty reliable. Also, I couldn't find a nissan primera locally. Later, we got her a Focus based on it having the same engine (zetec/duratec are practically interchangeable)

Stopped having to buy cars after that. Got to the states, Ford was the only full sized truck that had a flat rear floor (we have dogs) bought a Super Crew F150 FX4. Runner up was a dark red Chevy 1500 that the wife loved.

Time came to replace the F150, I wanted a smaller truck. Didn't want to wait for the next gen Nissan Frontier. Looked at Tacos, Colorados, Canyons, and Rangers. Bought a Ranger. (Very nearly got a Canyon Denali because only truck in the class that can blow air on my sweaty balls).

Side by side, the taco was less comfortable inside, slower, and getting hold of one was like finding hens teeth.

I like the Ranger. I drove a ways out to get exactly what I wanted. It's a good truck, and at 6 thousand feet; the difference between NA and Turbo are readily visible.

I'm don't love Ford, but I love MY Ford. It's not unconditional.

Bomlodr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 SVO, 2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
Because of my profession, I'm a hands on, prove it to me with facts and data kind of person. When shopping for a truck, I test drove a Tacoma, Colorado, Ranger, and Frontier. From a personal perspective, the Nissan felt cramped, cheap, and "plasticy". The Tacoma, because of it's flat floor, felt like I was driving in a county fair bumper car. Extremely uncomfortable. The Ranger and the Colorado were both extremely comfortable, rode and drove nice, and while both interiors won't be winning any awards for craftsmanship, both had decent interiors and option packages. At this point it was Ford and Chevy/GMC tied for 1 with Toyota and Nissan at the end of the bench.

Now the facts: STANDARD The Ranger tows more, hauls more, gets better fuel mileage, and, not that speed matters but is flat out quicker than either the Toyota or Nissan and felt quicker than the Chevy. Only the Colorado/Canyon are pretty damned close to the Ranger with regard to the above specs. For me, the difference was in the crash test results between the Colorado and the Ranger. The offset drivers crash tests were identical between the two. The passenger offset crash tests however, were not. The Chevy earned very low marks for "massive trauma to both passenger lower legs in the event of an offset impact". That was the deal breaker. I bought the Ranger because it was a better engineered truck, best equipped for what we use trucks for. Period.

I've heard most of the Tacoma owners' arguements as to why their truck is the best. After everything is shot down, they ususally attempt a hail Mary with "yeah, but, the Tacoma has better resale value". My response varies from "It's not a Ferrari, I didn't buy my truck as an investment, I bought it to use it" to "Huh...there must be a whole lotta dumb-asses willing to overspend for a sub-par used truck." Besides, it's kinda hard to take a vehicle seriously when the name of their performance division is a homophone of excrement. Marketing fail...

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
A member on here (sorry, I don't remember who) had the perfect response to the resale comment.

Resale is important in a vehicle you can't wait to get rid of.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
All good stuff but should Toyota Execs bother to read this thread they would probably have a good laugh as sales nos is where the rubber meets the road or what really matters and the Ranger has a long way to go before they are even halfway to the Taco sales figures. And maybe Toyota is planning to go turbo on the Taco like they are doing with the Tundra, so an updated powertrain could be in the works. as an ex sales professional it's the numbers that matter and from a corporate perspective the profit margin - likely Taco is a cash cow with dated power train, cramped interior, drum brakes but at the top of the mid truck sales heap by a wide margin.

dokkerdam

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX SuperCab
Occupation
flight instructor
Ah yes, that's how you review. With your mind already made up before the fact based on nothing.
read my post. i was leaning tacoma until i drove the ranger. then i drove the tacoma back to back with the ranger. i did this twice for both tacoma engines (big local dealership berlin toyota and berlin ford so they didn't mind).

the ranger was better in every possible way during the test drives and look over except for the bed usefulness design. who knows about reliability and resale - the ranger was new to the us in '19.

except for the larger engine in my '13 tacoma, the tacoma got worse and not better from 2002 until 2019. and and even my 2013 4.0 v6 is no longer available.

my 2002 had nicer plastics and fabric, and drove tighter like the new ranger. my 13 got super cheap inside and ugly outside. it felt flabby on the road. the '19 tacoma seemed even more plasticy inside if that was even possible.

i really felt like after owning toyotas for 15 years the truck they were offering me now was worse than the 2002. talk about resting on your laurels. the ranger was a truck for the 2020 decade. the tacoma wasn't even as good as the 2002.

and toyota is still giving political contributions to those who voted against the constitution on Jan. 6th. shame on them.

dj.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.