Who else turns off Blind Spot Monitoring?

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
I feel like it is honestly a useless system. My mirrors are aimed the "correct" way so I cannot see the side of my truck in them. So I don't actually have a "blind spot." I don't have little convex stick-on mirrors. Just the factory mirrors.

I can't stand how Ford has implemented the BLIS. I have driven other cars that, when you turn on your signal and there is a vehicle in the "blind spot" you would get an audible chime and an alert in your gauge cluster. Similar to how the cross traffic alert SCREAMS at you when someone is driving across the parking lot from where you are (also disabled for being too sensitive).

Instead, a little light comes on in the mirror. That's it.

If you are looking at the mirror to see the little light why not just look for traffic in your blind spots? It's just useless, IMO, and I find it disappointing that Ford made such a poor, useless system.
Sponsored

kcederwall08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Yeah I leave it on, but only because I really never even notice it..

My last car was an Audi, and had big bright blind spot lights that were actually noticeable with your peripheral vision. They would also flash if a car was in your blind spot and you turned your signal on, or if you had your signal on and a car in the lane next to you was driving up on you from behind at a speed way faster than you. I actually loved them in that car, and they probably saved me a few times, but they seem pretty poorly implemented in this truck sadly.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
I kind of like the little yellow light, but in a past life lived in CA and just cut people off before they cut me off.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
it works ok for my....the thing I turned off an left off is the lane departure warning. I might turn it on if I'm driving a few hundred miles on the highway but for commuting it's annoying

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
When changing lanes I use the mirror light as my final confirmation of a clear lane. It's just another tool in the bag. I'm not getting any younger and I'd hope to have had my full robot truck by now. Regardless this will do in the mean time.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I feel like it is honestly a useless system. My mirrors are aimed the "correct" way so I cannot see the side of my truck in them. So I don't actually have a "blind spot." I don't have little convex stick-on mirrors. Just the factory mirrors.

I can't stand how Ford has implemented the BLIS. I have driven other cars that, when you turn on your signal and there is a vehicle in the "blind spot" you would get an audible chime and an alert in your gauge cluster. Similar to how the cross traffic alert SCREAMS at you when someone is driving across the parking lot from where you are (also disabled for being too sensitive).

Instead, a little light comes on in the mirror. That's it.

If you are looking at the mirror to see the little light why not just look for traffic in your blind spots? It's just useless, IMO, and I find it disappointing that Ford made such a poor, useless system.
Wow! You complain because BLIS does not "Scream" at you and turn your dash red. Then you complain that the cross traffic does. So you disable both. Every manufacturer implements safety features their own way based on regulatory requirements. Some may be better than others and some we may like better than others.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Hey, I didn’t want it but I got it. Now that I have it I adjusted to it. Is it useless? Well not until I have to replace it and I hear that sucking sound from my wallet again...

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I leave it on. I guess it really depends on where you do most of your driving and how you drive. I shoulder check, mirror check, do all the right things. Man, I need to - I drive the 401 and other 400 series highways in the Toronto area as well as the city’s expressways. It’s like trying to navigate an angry swarm of murder hornets. I really need to know what’s happening in front of me, beside me and behind me constantly. The system helps me do that.

I never know when some dumbass is going to come across three lanes on my right hand side in no time, without signalling. And wasn’t that idiot beside me in the left hand lane 20 seconds ago?

But, if that’s not your daily driving experience, you’re going to see BLIS differently than I do.

Last edited:

ChopprJock

First Name
Lyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, FX4, Sport, Tow Packages
Occupation
Aero Engineer / Ops Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
I leave it on, but I have seen better implementations. My girlfriend test drove a Honda a while back that had actual cameras mounted in the side mirror housings. When you hit the blinker the camera would come on so you could actually see the blind spot area. Neat idea, but they should have put the viewscreen in the dash instead of the center/radio screen...

I don't mind any tech that helps me out...

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
I leave mine on, bc those little scooter style bikes are hard to see and will ride right in your blind spots. Which they create bc no matter how you adjust the mirror you cant see those little bikes. Most traffic here is stop and go and pray, if you leave a small gap you can barley walk through, those bike will try and fit. ? they dont give a crap if they dent or scratch your vehicle. All vehicles should come standard with Teslas 360 and record set up. Those cars have caught so many people.

Now they could of done something better than that little orange light IMO.

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
I don't think it's worthless at all and I believe Ford did a good job with this one. I like it and I have my mirrors adjusted correctly as well. It helps me to better identify when I have enough distance to move over when I pass someone. In addition, it's caught more than one person in my rear quarter who decided at the last second to turn into the same lane I was turning into. It's a nice feature to have that backs up good driving habits with an added bit of safety.

OP
OP
DT444T

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
Wow! You complain because BLIS does not "Scream" at you and turn your dash red. Then you complain that the cross traffic does. So you disable both. Every manufacturer implements safety features their own way based on regulatory requirements. Some may be better than others and some we may like better than others.
I disabled cross traffic because it screams at things that are not cross traffic. I don't back out of my driveway onto a busy street. I live in the country. The only cross traffic behind me would be me.

I LIKE that the cross traffic screams, I just wish it would only do it at people that are actually crossing behind me. I've had it do it backing out of a parking spot, downtown, but I was already looking for, and had that traffic in sight.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
I still have trust issues with the array of sensors we have. I just cannot 100% trust them when backing in or even pulling forward. Its like Im talking in code, Are you sure??? are you sure your sure??? are you false reading, bc this looks really close.
My wife will park using just the camera, me I pre scan the area then use the camera to see if anything is back there and use the mirrors to line up. Habits I guess
Sponsored