Who else turns off Blind Spot Monitoring?

UncleBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 2WD in Magnetic
Occupation
Retired
The only annoyance I have with Blind Spot Warning is when I am in the right lane of a two lane left turn pocket with my turn signal on and another car drives up on my left. system is not smart enough to recognize the situation. Otherwise it is a good safety feature. Anyone who says they have ‘never’ been surprised by a vehicle seemingly come out or nowhere, is only deceiving themselves.
Sponsored

El Renno

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Even if you "have your mirrors adjusted correctly", I guarantee you WILL still have a blind spot. It's a safety feature and it works. And if you're looking at your mirrors, then that little light is impossible to miss. Do you really need a chime to go with it? Leave it on. It's not hurting anything. It's not impeding your ability to operate your vehicle.

hughesjv

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I feel like it is honestly a useless system. My mirrors are aimed the "correct" way so I cannot see the side of my truck in them. So I don't actually have a "blind spot." I don't have little convex stick-on mirrors. Just the factory mirrors.

I can't stand how Ford has implemented the BLIS. I have driven other cars that, when you turn on your signal and there is a vehicle in the "blind spot" you would get an audible chime and an alert in your gauge cluster. Similar to how the cross traffic alert SCREAMS at you when someone is driving across the parking lot from where you are (also disabled for being too sensitive).

Instead, a little light comes on in the mirror. That's it.

If you are looking at the mirror to see the little light why not just look for traffic in your blind spots? It's just useless, IMO, and I find it disappointing that Ford made such a poor, useless system.
Just today, on my way home from work, I noticed it was on to the left of me and I thought, why is that on I don't see anyone or anything. I looked over my shoulder and still saw no one. After a few seconds it was still on, so I looked again over my shoulder and there was a little light blue car (like air colored) in a blind spot despite my thinking the mirrors were adjusted so I could see anything. I think I am a fan of the system as if I had tried to get over I would have run over that little pale blue car.

Last edited:

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors
I've found with the ranger you can adjust the mirrors to eliminate any blindspot that your typical car can fit in. As a vehicle approaches i can see a portion of it in both the rear-view mirror and side mirror, then later i'll be able to simultaneously see it in the side-mirror and out my window. The limitations of this (for the left side) is that there is, in fact, a blind spot big enough for a motorcyclist to fit in. Because of this -- and the warning in the BLIS manual saying it's not 100% reliable, so "still check your mirrors" -- i always take a quick look over my shoulder.

The only complaint i have about the BLIS on the ranger is how *&%*& expensive the tail lights are with that radar module. I dread the day i get rear-ended and both get smashed, heck, that might even total the vehicle in a few years.

Fazzie01

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Engineer
I know this thread is quite old, but I had some thoughts after using the ranger's BLIS and having observed other systems.

I vastly prefer Volvo's orange indicator. It is large and bright and takes up the entire upper corner so it's easy to see and does not get washed out by headlights or other bright lights in your mirror.

I saw a few Chevy's where the BLIS even functions when the car is stopped and fast traffic is coming up next to them (Sitting in turn lane waiting to turn while forward lanes have green light). My rationale, if something is next to me (Stopped with me or driving past me at 70mph), I want to know. I don't care if my car is stopped. When I'm sitting in stop and go traffic, that's when I REALLY want BLIS to tell me there are cars in my blind spots. I hate how it turns off below like 10mph and then doesn't turn on till you are going like 15-20mph again.

Rant over. Seems simple for them to program since the BLIS works pretty far back with trailers.

OP
OP
DT444T

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
I vastly prefer Volvo's orange indicator. It is large and bright and takes up the entire upper corner so it's easy to see and does not get washed out by headlights or other bright lights in your mirror.
I've recently upgraded to an F150 and the indicator on the mirror is just MUCH better. Towing the same trailer as I did with the Ranger, it just seems like it works SO much better on the F150. It all functions the same way, but I think it's just that the orange light is bigger/brighter on the F150 tow mirror than on the Ranger mirror.
Sponsored