What oil will you be running after your 1st oil change?

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Yes, lots on line as well as I have had quite a few BMW and Porsche owners switch from Mobil 1 to Amsoil due to lack of protection. Seizing bearings etc.
I think it was this blanket BS statement that turned me off.

Amsoil guy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Hydro Vac operator/ Amsoil Dealer
The photo's you posted above don't show the API Service SN Plus labels? Can you post up photo's of Amsoil 5W-30 with the API SN Plus Certification Mark? That is what is specified per the Owners Manual. API SP isn't the specification per the 2019/2020 Ranger Owners Manual.

2019 Ranger Owners Manual - Fourth Printing - Page 323 - API Certified.png
LSAC GF-6A, GF-5, GF-4
5W-30 (ASL): API SP (Resource Conserving), SN PLUS, SN...; GM dexos1 Gen 2 (supersedes LL-A-025, 6094M and 4718M); ACEA A5/B5, A1/B1; Honda HTO-06; Ford WSS-M2C946-B1, WSS-M2C946-A, WSS-M2C929-A; Chrysler MS-6395; ILSAC GF-6A, GF-5, GF-4
10W-30 (ATM): API SP (Resource Conserving), SN PLUS, SN...; ACEA A5/B5, A1/B1; Can’t find a focused shot of the API approved stamp. Just go onto Amsoil.com product code XLF and you will see it.

Attachments

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
LSAC GF-6A, GF-5, GF-4
5W-30 (ASL): API SP (Resource Conserving), SN PLUS, SN...; GM dexos1 Gen 2 (supersedes LL-A-025, 6094M and 4718M); ACEA A5/B5, A1/B1; Honda HTO-06; Ford WSS-M2C946-B1, WSS-M2C946-A, WSS-M2C929-A; Chrysler MS-6395; ILSAC GF-6A, GF-5, GF-4
10W-30 (ATM): API SP (Resource Conserving), SN PLUS, SN...; ACEA A5/B5, A1/B1; Can’t find a focused shot of the API approved stamp. Just go onto Amsoil.com product code XLF and you will see it.
Well that was easy :D XL 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil

Most of the confusion, for me, is the Amsoil website is difficult to make sense of.... which is painfully obvious from some of my comments on this thread.

I'm used to sites that actually show the front and back of the bottle of oil.

That allows the user to look for the items specified in the owners manual, specifically:
  • Ford specification WSS-M2C946-B1,
  • that it meets API SN Plus,
  • that it has the API Certification Mark
  • that it is 5W-30
At this point, with all the fake news and mistruths we all have to deal with, if it's not on the bottle, I won't buy it.

Thanks for hanging with me and showing me where this data is. Much appreciated.

Amsoil guy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Well that was easy :D XL 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil

Most of the confusion, for me, is the Amsoil website is difficult to make sense of.... which is painfully obvious from some of my comments on this thread.

I'm used to sites that actually show the front and back of the bottle of oil.

That allows the user to look for the items specified in the owners manual, specifically:
  • Ford specification WSS-M2C946-B1,
  • that it meets API SN Plus,
  • that it has the API Certification Mark
  • that it is 5W-30
At this point, with all the fake news and mistruths we all have to deal with, if it's not on the bottle, I won't buy it.

Thanks for hanging with me and showing me where this data is. Much appreciated.
??

Bsenecal

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew, 2017 Ford Fusion Sport, 1968 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Military
Amsoil Guy: I'm an Amsoil dealer too. Stop beating your head against a brick wall with these guys.
I've met people who put $15 000 in aftermarket suspensions, drill holes for roof racks and void warranties like crazy, but they won't buy 100% Synthetic oil, warranty secure oil lol. Not to mention the ones that demand Amsoil for their ATV's, and dirt bikes, yet insist to put Amazon oil in their $70 000 truck. I've heard it all brother.
Yeah and if everyone did everything the dealership/manufacture “recommended “ no one would ever buy a new vehicle.
My daughter brought her Jeep in for a recall and they wanted to charge her $150 to change her brake fluid which they recommend be done every 2 years.
I have used amsoil in 3 fords with eco boost engines with zero issues.
Brian

Amsoil guy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Yeah and if everyone did everything the dealership/manufacture “recommended “ no one would ever buy a new vehicle.
My daughter brought her Jeep in for a recall and they wanted to charge her $150 to change her brake fluid which they recommend be done every 2 years.
I have used amsoil in 3 fords with eco boost engines with zero issues.
Brian
? I priced out some Diff oil from the dealership for my buddy . Here in Vancouver they wanted $48.00 per quart. Crazy. Dodge was about $4.00 cheaper.

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
I've got a $30k truck. Is Amsoil an API certified oil?

My owners manual says don't buy an oil that isn't API certified.

2019 Ranger Owners Manual - Fourth Printing - Page 323 - API Certified.png
That's a hot topic. This certificate is important in the fact that it proves the oil meets a minimum requirement. I'm not a chemist so I don't know what those requirements are. But, I can tell you this..... motor oil companies just basically pay to have it. They aren't overly high standards. If you purchase a recognizable brand name of oil, you'll be fine.
And believe me when I tell you, if something happens to your vehicle, no mechanic on the planet is going to ask you if the oil was API certified lol.
On another note..... don't be cheap with filters. That's half your protection alone. Do research on filter cut open videos. (Wix is a good choice, Fram isn't!

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
That's a hot topic. This certificate is important in the fact that it proves the oil meets a minimum requirement. I'm not a chemist so I don't know what those requirements are. But, I can tell you this..... motor oil companies just basically pay to have it. They aren't overly high standards. If you purchase a recognizable brand name of oil, you'll be fine.
And believe me when I tell you, if something happens to your vehicle, no mechanic on the planet is going to ask you if the oil was API certified lol.
On another note..... don't be cheap with filters. That's half your protection alone. Do research on filter cut open videos. (Wix is a good choice, Fram isn't!

Google the "Dexos" and "DexosII" certification program. If anything was a money grab, it's that. API certification is vastly superior to "You must meed SN+ and pay us the extortion fee to get the Dexos* Logo on your product".

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
This is what I plan on using. Good for motorcycles, hatchbacks, lambos, and even trucks.

1610681834042.png

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
Bro-tella? Is that Rotella you bought from a homey?
Yeah, got it from Harry down at Racers Edge along with two bottles of NOS. Lol, it's an ongoing joke in the forum world.

In all reality, I'll use the ford blend stuff until I do more research. I'll just need something that will hold up in a tuned engine and will be adequate for 200k miles or more. Gas mileage/emissions are tertiary concerns for me.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
I have heard from numerous reliable sources to follow the owner’s manual for oil change recommendations.

My Ranger has less than 2000 miles on it currently but I am going to do the 1st change at 3000 miles (suggested by my Ford certified mechanic) and then afterwards follow the manual’s recommendation: Use the Intelligent Oil-Life monitor system but if it is not working to change oil every six months or 5000 miles. I believe that a good general rule of thumb is to use the 5000-mile benchmark for the Synthetic blend change, but I will decide when the time comes to use either it or the Intelligent Oil-Life monitor (which is working) format. I do not drive under severe conditions. I will be using a Pennzoil premium synthetic blend SAE 5W-30.

This oil falls under the manual’s specs for motor oil:

Engine Oil
E142732 E276075 An oil that displays this symbol conforms to current engine, emission system and fuel economy performance standards of ILSAC. We recommend Motorcraft® motor oil for your vehicle. If Motorcraft® oil is not available, use motor oils of the recommended viscosity grade that meet API SN PLUS requirements and display the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines. Do not use supplemental engine oil additives because they are unnecessary and could lead to engine damage that your vehicle warranty does not cover.

Materials
Name
Engine Oil - SAE 5W-30 - Synthetic Blend Motor Oil (U.S.) Engine Oil - SAE 5W-30 - Super Premium Motor Oil / Huile moteur de très haute qualité SAE 5W-30 Motorcraft® (Canada) XO-5W30-Q1SP (U.S.) CXO-5W30-LSP6 (Canada)
Specification
WSS-M2C946-B1

I like the principle of using the combined properties of Conventional and Synthetic (Synthetic Blend). Edmunds has a great video explaining this: "Conventional verses synthetic".
When Should You Change Your Oil? | Edmunds

Regards,
Paul

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
I came here for answers, and im leaving with more questions.

BoilerMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
See username
I came here for answers, and im leaving with more questions.
Use any brand name oil that meets Ford’s specs. It’s in your owners manual. Personally I used Quaker State as it was the cheapest at Walmart. Now I get free oil changes for life from the dealer so they can put Crisco in it for all I care.
Sponsored